Question regarding ISY99i and PLM's

no clue

I think I know the answer to this but thought I would ask anyway:

Does the ISY-99i have to be wired directly to the PLM for everything to work? It would be extemely beneficial for my install if I could hook the ISY-99i to a switch and then run ethernet cable from other switches to PLM's in my house and detached garage. Last year, I painstakingly ran cat 6 to all points of my house including the detached garage.

It is my understanding that I would need to bridge the house and detached garage with access points hoping the RF can make the jump well enough to be efficient. The two structures are only about 20 feet apart but from my readings of the forum, the access points seem somewhat unreliable. If I could use the Cat 6 wire already in place, things would be much easier.

The data connection between ISY and PLM is not ethernet. You can not run it into a LAN and pick it off somewhere else. It has to be a direct connection. The fact that it uses an rj45 is just becuase it is cheap and easy and universally available. Of course the ISY to LAN connection is just a normal ethernet connection.

Thanks

I had a feeling it might be something like that; otherwise, everyone would do it.

Archived