Looking to purchase security panel on budget

firebladeRR1k

I'm looking at purchasing a security panel but cannot afford an ELK. I have seen several references to the future support of other panels by the isy but am not sure when or what would be covered.

Does anyone have any recommendations on which one(s) I should look at? Via the forums I've heard people having success with vista 20p, dsc, & napco panels. I'm mainly looking for isy notification of panel events (door or window open, arming, disarming,...) for use in programs and as triggers. I would like this communication to not require a computer running and preferably not through an iolinc. I currently have a vista 20adt. I think I'd be open to x10 notification of the isy if it would work.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Have you considered maybe an M1 EZ8 instead of the M1 Gold?

You are going to be very limited with other panels that aren't directly supported right now.

Also base your decision on what is available now, today...not what might be coming in the future. That way you won't be disappointed.

I believe there is DSClinc to help interfacing with DSC panels but I know nothing about it. I believe it has to run on a PC from what I have read. I may even have the name slightly wrong...

Edit:

Here is the DCSLink:

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=4642

If you own nothing, and your goal is to integrate your security panel with ISY, then you should wait until you have enough money to buy an Elk EZ8 or M1G. Anything else and I expect that you would be disappointed and end up wasting more time and money in the future than if you just got the right thing right off.

Thank you for the quick replies. I have looked at the Elk panels and they are a bit out of my range and I also think they may do more than I need. I would love to keep the cost of a panel less than $300.

Simple event notification to the isy is all I really need.

I have read some posts regarding panels using x10 to trigger the isy. I am also In the process of setting up a webcontroller and pogoplug combination, so I could use the pogoplug to relay events to the isy if need be.

Whatever solution, I would love it to integrate with the isy admin panel but that is not a requirement at all. The big thing is the events being triggered.

I currently have a vista 20adt but I doubt that can relay events.

Thanks

I have a Vista 20p. I use the 20 p to send an x-10 signal to the isy. You can then tell the isy to listen for the x10 signal and the run a program or function. It works just fine. The Vista 20p is still considered one of the better panels and is very capable. Mine handles hard wire and wireless as well as sending to central monitoring ( check out "nextalarm.com") it works very well and is much cheaper than adt for your monitoring.

Hope this helps

This helps out a lot. have a couple questions:

Was there anything you had to purchase for the vista 20p to be able to do x10?

Can you have the panel arm via a command from the isy?

Were you able to program the 20p on your own or does this take special equipment?

Thanks so much.

You may want to look at your AC power wall wart transformer.

If it has only two connections for low voltage AC into the panel. You would need the 1361X10 interface power transformer that supplies power to the console and has three connections for signals that send the X10 power line commands.

This web site has links to the Vista-20P Users, Installation and Programming Manuals.

http://www.aesecurity.com/manuals.html

Archived