Remote Computer Power Up

paauto

Anyone have any solution as to how to turn on a computer remotely after the power fails? It seems to never fail me that when I travel on business or vacation, my house experiences a power outage and my PC (Dell Inspiron) powers down (I have a UPS, but it only provides about 20 minutes of power before shutting the PC down). I like to remote in to the PC when I’m away.

I was thinking about attaching a solenoid type switch to the front of the Dell that would allow me to turn it on remotely. I was thinking of using an I/O Linc to send a pulsed “on†signal to the switch.

Any thoughts?

Depends on what the power on button is switching. The I/O Link relay is rated at 5A @ 30V (AC or DC). If the power on button is switching 120V the I/O Line relay could not handle. Could use a 5V relay driven by the I/O Linc relay that has contacts rated for 120V.

Does your Dell have Wake on Lan capabilities? If so you could create an ISY program that you trigger to wake the computer. Another thought, have you tried setting the computer to reboot after power is reapplied in bios? Not sure if you always want the computer on or not though, but if you do you may be able to change the settings.

Anyone have any solution as to how to turn on a computer remotely after the power fails? It seems to never fail me that when I travel on business or vacation, my house experiences a power outage and my PC (Dell Inspiron) powers down (I have a UPS, but it only provides about 20 minutes of power before shutting the PC down). I like to remote in to the PC when I’m away.

I was thinking about attaching a solenoid type switch to the front of the Dell that would allow me to turn it on remotely. I was thinking of using an I/O Linc to send a pulsed “on†signal to the switch.

Any thoughts?

As mentioned previously, go into the BIOS and set the option on power fail to power on always.

Hello paauto,

Yes, you do. It's really not that difficult ... all you need is the MAC address of your computer and the subnet. ISY calculates the rest.

And please note that we have a 30 day, no questions asked, money back guarantee. In case the module does not meet your requirements, we'll fully refund your purchase.

With kind regards,

Michel

Ok - I purchased and installed the Network Module and also confirmed my computer can WOL (went to Bios settings and confirmed in Power Managment that the ability to remotely wake up is enabled).

From the PC I am trying to wake remotely, I accessed the ISY and entered the machine's ethernet card MAC Address and IP address. I saved the changes and then shut down the machine.

Then, I went to another PC and accessed the ISY and clicked the "Test" button and but the WOL command doesn't seem to work. Interseitng, when I access the "Resource Editor" to see the settings the IP address of the target PC is changed to the IP address of second computer.

What am I missing?

I do not have the Network Module so this is only a guess. The Admin Console where you are pressing the Test button is a Java application running on the PC. I suspect the Admin Console issues the network call which would have the source as the PC IP.

Code a simple ISY Program that sends the Network Resource (be sure to Save Changes), right click the Program name and select Run Then. That will have the ISY issue the network call with the subsequent ISY IP address.

As I mentioned before this is only a conclusion based on reported results rather than knowing for sure.

No such luck.

A couple of other things - BTW I am running Windows 7 Professional:

I did ensure that in "Device Manager" that "Wake on Magic Packet" is enabled for the network card and in "Power Management" I confirmed all the boxes were checked (i.e. "Allow this devices to wake the computer" and "Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer"

In "Programs and Features" I installed "Simple TCPIP Services" and enabled it to run in Services.

Lastly, I opended UDP port 9 in Windows Firewall.

I did not port forward port 9 in my router though. Do I need to becuase the ISY is on the network?

Looking forward to getting this working!!

paauto,

I can confirm when checking the resource editor that the ip does change to the current ip of the machine you are on as LeeG suggested.

One thing that tripped me up originally was the mac address has to be entered such as 10-14-D1-13-2E-01 with dashes not periods and cap letters not lower case.

Tim

If you are using a subnet of 255.255.255.0 did the last 3 digits of the Broadcast number change to .255 while the first set of numbers reflect your ip address?

For instance ip address of 192.168.1.125 the broadcast is listed as 192.168.1.255

Also, stupid question, you did save right?

What action do you see when you press the test button?

Nothing seems to happen when I hit "Test"

Confirming I did save.

Just to make sure I entereed things correctly:

MAC Address: entered MAC address of NIC

IP Addresss: entered IP address of NIC (192.168.1.156 - which is static)

Subnet: populated automatically with 255.255.255.0

Password: I didn't enter anything - should I?

Calculate: populated automatically with 192.168.1.255

No password is correct.

When I press the Test button it looks like it is pressed in then the mouse pointer turns into a circle for maybe a second or two as the ISY is doing its thing then turns into a pointer again. Do you see anything similar?

No such luck.

A couple of other things - BTW I am running Windows 7 Professional:

I did ensure that in "Device Manager" that "Wake on Magic Packet" is enabled for the network card and in "Power Management" I confirmed all the boxes were checked (i.e. "Allow this devices to wake the computer" and "Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer"

In "Programs and Features" I installed "Simple TCPIP Services" and enabled it to run in Services.

Lastly, I opended UDP port 9 in Windows Firewall.

I did not port forward port 9 in my router though. Do I need to becuase the ISY is on the network?

Looking forward to getting this working!!

I was re-reading this thread to make sure magic packet was enabled. I too am running windows 7 pro. Where did you access programs and features to install the tcpip services.

The reason I asked is that I didnt have to do any of that. I just enabled wol in bios and in the network cards properties and it worked.

Archived