LampLinc Control By ISY99 via Switch

One2ManyLights

I have a LampLinc plug-in dimmer (2457D2X) controlling a table lamp through my ISY99. This works fine.

Next, I added a wall switch (2876SB) to control the same table lamp and this also work well. This switch has no load attached, it is just linked as controller of the Lamplinc.

So, my table lamp can be controlled from the ISY99 or the wall switch.

ISY99--->LampLinc

2876SB--->Lamplinc

Question:

When the wall switch is linked to the ISY99 why can't I send a command to the wall switch from the ISY99 and control table lamp? The wall switch receives the command and clicks on or off, but the table lamp only responds if I physically tap the wall switch button.

ISY99--->2876SB--->Lamplinc

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Scene control does not propagate from Controller to Controller. Nor does turning a device On with a Direct command cause that device to become a Controller such that it turns On its Responders. This is not part of the Insteon architecture.

The way to achieve the desired effect is to define one ISY Scene. Add the ICON Switch and the LampLinc as Controllers of the one ISY Scene. Turning the ISY Scene On/Off from the ISY or the ICON Switch will control both the ICON Switch and the LampLinc.

Turning the ICON Switch On/Off with a Direct command will not affect the LampLinc and turning the LampLinc On/Off with a Direct command will not affect the ICON Switch.

Thanks very much LeeG!

The solution you provided worked.

I have read similar posts where you addressed basically the same issue, however this time I finally understood. As a new user my confusion came from not fully understanding Scenes, Controllers, and Responders. Just thought that a Scene was a group of lights that could all be controlled at the same time by the ISY99.

In my case there is a table lamp that can be controlled by two different controllers (Icon switch or Lamplinc plug-in). By creating a scene and adding both the Icon & Lamplinc (defined as controllers). The current state of the table lamp can now be both known and controlled by either the Icon switch or Lamplinc via the scene. In other words the scene creates the ISY99 connection that I needed.

When I first began, a stand alone link was created between the Icon switch (controller) and the Lamplinc (Responder). Given that I am now controlling everything though the scene this link was not needed and is now just redundant?

Glad to hear it worked.

The Set button link is not needed for sure. It may not be there by now. The ISY would not know of its existence and may have over written it by now. A Tools | Diagnostics | Show Device Links Table followed by the Compare button when the display is complete will show if either device has unexpected links. If either device does have unexpected links a right click on the device node in the My Lighting tree selecting Restore Device will rebuild the device link database with only those links created by the ISY.

Scenes are integral to Insteon operation. Defining that one ISY Scene actually created multiple Insteon Scenes under the covers. That one ISY Scene definition resulted in all the links and cross-links necessary to control all the devices and for them to stay in sync.

I am new here and thank all of you for your help.

Hardware KPL 2487S, LampLinc 2457D2X, ISY99i/IR Pro v.3.1.17. I have a similar problem, trying to control the lamplinc through a scene, but do not understand how to get the scenes to operate in the way described by LeeG, "The way to achieve the desired effect is to define one ISY Scene. Add the ICON Switch and the LampLinc as Controllers of the one ISY Scene. Turning the ISY Scene On/Off from the ISY or the ICON Switch will control both the ICON Switch and the LampLinc".

I created an ISY scene "control light" and added the D button from the KPL and the lamp linc both as controllers. Turning the scene on and off turns the KPL button LED on and off but not the lamplinc (or light). This is probably INSTEON 101 but I have not been able to make it work. Thank you for any help.

InTheDark

You need to upgrade to 3.2.4. Be sure to clear the Java cache and use the correct URL for invoking the 3.2.4 Admin Console. Once on 3.2.4 run Help | About to confirm the Firmware and UI indicate 3.2.4. Delete the LampLinc and the Scene. Add the LampLinc under 3.2.4. The LampLinc is an I2CS device which requires 3.2.4. Once added recreate the Scene under 3.2.4.

• 1 month later...

I am experiencing a similar issue and hoping to get some feedback on how to best address.

Setup:

- My Insteon setup uses the ISY-99i/IR Pro for all communications (i.e. no "device-to-device" control; everything goes through the ISY).

- ISY is firmware 3.2.6

Devices:

- I have a lamp connected to a LampLinc which works great.

- I also have a KeyPadLinc which has button "G" configured in toggle mode to control the LampLinc, and that also works fine.

Objective:

- My intent is to create a scene on the ISY where both the LampLinc and the "G" key on the KeyPadLinc are controllers. This would ensure that the toggle state (on/off) of the KeyPadLinc button is updated when another device is used to change the state of the LampLinc.

Approach:

- I created a scene on the ISY. I added both the LampLinc and the "G" button of the KeyPadLinc to the scene.

Issue:

- My issue is that the ISY interface will only allow me to add the LampLinc as a responder (not as a controller).

- I can however add the "G" button of the KeyPadLinc to the scene as a controller.

Question: Is it possible to add the LampLinc to the scene as a controller? If so, how?

Some LampLincs can be added to a Scene as a Controller but that will not satisfy the requirement as stated. Another device turning the LampLinc On/Off will not cause the LampLinc to turn On/Off other devices that are linked to the LampLinc. Insteon does not propagate controller actions that way.

Device A as a Controller turns On LampLinc as a Responder. The LampLinc DOES NOT then go from Responder to Controller turning On any devices that are linked to the LampLinc as Responders. Again, Insteon does not propagate or chain Controller actions.

Device A turning On LampLinc must also turn On the KeypadLinc button to keep the KeypadLinc button LED and LampLinc in sync.

To add the LampLinc as a Controller, add the LampLinc to the Scene and click the Controller/Responder button to change from the default Responder to Controller.

A single ISY Scene can be defined with the KeypadLinc button, LampLinc and "other device" all as Controllers. The ISY assumes a Controller is also a Responder so the ISY will cross link all three devices such that they will all stay in sync.

Archived