(2476D) Switchlinc dimmerW/Beeper V.40

remedy1234

Hi Lee,

I have 1 set of all three link records that you show.I factory reset PLM and restored it,still the same problem.I had a new PLM 2413S I restored that one still no change.I also have a Keypad dimmer V.39 I purchase the same time as fanlinc acting the same way.

All this for trying to turn off my sons bedroom light after an hour when he leaves them on!

Thanks Tim

Do a Show PLM Links Table followed by a Count. Do it at least three times to check the Count. Any Insteon message that reaches the PLM during the Show can result is missing or duplicate link records being displayed. Trust the count only if the same count received multiple times.

My concern is the total link records have exceeded the PLM capacity.

Have you verified that other devices do show state changes in the Admin Console?

With that much variation in PLM record count the PLM cannot be restored successfully. All Insteon traffic has to be eliminated while doing a Restore Modem (PLM).

The link record in the PLM that is required for the SwitchLinc to show a state change is

A2 01 1B.C5.E4 xx xx xx

Do a Show PLM Links Table. Look through the displayed link records for the above. I would expect it not to be there.

Which means it was not written or has not been displayed because of the Insteon traffic. If the link record is not there a state change message from the SwitchLinc will not be processed which is consistent with the symptom.

If you have a spare FilterLinc temporarily putting the PLM on the filtered side of a FilterLinc may isolate the PLM enough to process the PLM link database. With the arrival of the Dual Band PLM this has not worked as well because of the RF capability of the PLM. Putting a 2413 PLM inside a metal cabinet should block the RF.

The number of links in the PLM is an unknown because the persistent Insteon traffic does not allow a good count. I'm inclined to think the PLM capacity has been exceeded but without objective information that is only a guess at this point.

Insteon requires three things for a paddle/button press to be recognized. A link record in the device itself which has been verified as present. Good communication between the device and the PLM which looks okay, at least when the device is powered from the PLM plug point. The last requirement is the link record in the PLM which you indicate is not there based on what has been displayed. It could be the link record is there and not displayed because of traffic in which case you have a Zebra. All the requirements exist but it does not work. I don’t think that is the case. Best conclusion at this point is the PLM capacity has been exceeded as that is the only requirement that has not been verified.

Reduce the number links by reducing the number of Scenes. Often Scenes are generated over time which can be combined with other Scenes to reduce the total PLM link count or not actually needed at all.

How many Insteon devices are defined to the ISY, how many are KeypadLincs (of what type 6 or 8 button) and how many Scenes.

I think I have to many after reading some other post.For an example I have five switches and two motion detectors that control my garage lights.If I were to create the lincs through the ISY and than delete the switches from ISY that do not need to have status indicated or to run programs such as simple closet lights hall three ways I do not use ISY to time out would that be a common solution?

Tim

No. Scene created by the ISY will have the device removed if the device is deleted. Otherwise the Controller would get Insteon errors on the assumption when a device is Deleted it will be removed from the powerline.

Reduce the number of links used in Scenes. A review of Scenes by other users who have had similar problems have found changes could be made to eliminate duplication, delete longer used Scenes, combining Scenes, etc. Never having actually done this myself I cannot provide specific examples.

Thanks for all your time and help Lee I will try that.One more question what I meant about deleting devices was for instance to create a scene for a three way switch application one responder one controller,then delete the devices and the scene in the ISY.The devices would work (stand alone) I know I would not be able to monitor with the ISY but would the traffic effect the ISY or PLM?

I have a lot of scenes with 3and 4ways that I could eliminate.

Thanks Tim

When the device is Deleted the link database in the device is cleared so the switches would stop working. I would look at the Scenes from the other end. Which Scenes have a large number of devices and can anything be done to adjust them. For example, Scene A has 40 devices for an All Off capability. Scene B has 40 devices for an All Off capability. There are a few differences between the device list of Scene A and Scene B but many of the devices are duplicated between the two Scenes. Can this situation be broken down into 3 Scenes which sounds counter intuitive but the total links would be less. Scene C would contain the devices common to Scene A and Scene B. Scene A would contain only the few devices that are unique to Scene A and Scene B the same way. This could reduce the total links even though there are more Scenes. Look at the large Scenes where the biggest bang for the buck can be achieved. Scenes that exist but are no longer used. I would not try to reduce the links by tricking the system. Things like that come back to bite you at all the wrong times.

Have you given any thought to treating family to a night at the movies to eliminate the Insteon traffic for a few hours. That way a few good Restore Modem (PLM) and Show PLM Links Table with Count could be run to see just how much of a problem exists.

Hi Lee

Took your advice and went to the movies today,but I forgot to stay home we saw the Avengers (Great movie)!I found the ISY linc Calculator and it seems you are correct again I think I am borderline.I do not want to delete my scenes I use them and I like to have all my switches indicate there status and I want to expand my system.I recently puchase the ELK and want to incorporate more of my entry ways for lighting control.will the elk compromise the system more?I also have 2-residential lighting jobs coming up and the ISY application might be larger than mine.I guess the question is there a way to overcome this with the ISY?Is there other systems with larger capabilty.I really like the way the system works with the insteon devices I have bought and used other software that smarthome carries and I do like ISY the best and of course the price is right.Your thoughts would me much appreciated

Again Thanks for all your help and time (Check out Advengers)

Thanks Tim

Archived