SD card, web server, & security

snownh2o2

I am writing an installion review on a different type of forum. I went to load pictures to my Verizon account, however it turns out they shut off FTP capabilities. Without spending too much time looking for a way to deal with the Verizon problem, I decided to try out the ISY webserver.

Is the 16GB SD card limit still valid? I am running the latest firmware on an newer isy99i-ir.

From what I gathered, to install a bigger card, it must be first formated by the isy (telnet?). Next a backup of the isy must be copied to the card. Finally the isy must be restored to the backup contained on the new card. Is this correct? What is the minimum speed the card should be to get the obtain the maximum speed of the web server?

I want to continue to maintain at least a bit of security on my home network. Previously my router was setup with a virtual server on port 4443. As far as I know this was a secure port. The isy uses local port of 8887, and a remote port of 4443.

Loading a picture to the isy and then remotely accessing https....com:4443/USER/WEB/Pictures/*.jpg allowed me to view some test pictures, however it asked for a user name and password which is not ideal when posting pictures in a form. I then tried opening/using port 8887 from http....com:8887/USER/WEB/Pictures/*.jpg

It also worked but also requested a password. When I think about it, it make sense because no matter how I log on to the isy I am required to input a username and password.

The question is, is there a way to allow outside users to view my photos from links embedded in the writeup? Securely, or at least keeping everything else secure, (isy and home network) is definately preferable. Is it possible to keep the web server activity seperate from the isy automation activity?

If not, does anyone have a simiple solution for self hosting a few pictures besides all of the free hosting sites. My router (Belkin) does have a USB port, however I am not sure it can be opened up to be remotely accessed.

On a final note, I was wondering if it is possible to create multiple user names for the isy. When entering my user name and password into the beautiful blonde who sleeps beside me's ipad, phone, or laptop, I often get leary about what could result in a few accidental taps when in a purse, pocket, or briefcase. Can a 'no changes' user name be made for her. This may also be userful for web server access for friends.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt,

1. Yes, 16GB still the limit

2. Process of replacing SD card is described in detail here: http://www.universal-devices.com/mwiki/ ... an_SD_Card

3. Unfortunately, ISY requires userid/password for everything

4. We do have a requirement to support multi user/guest user but it keeps going to the bottom of our priority list

5. ISY web server is pretty much isolated from automation. The only linkage is the commands from the web server to do automation! So, as long as you are not going to have 10s of users accessing ISY simultaneously through httpS, I do not think you are going to notice degradation in performance or operations especially if all that's being done is serving up pictures off the SD Card. This said, I would be a little wary putting your ISY's address on a public forum ... I have seen very many hackers snooping around just for this type of opportunities, if for nothing else, but just to cause trouble

With kind regards,

Michel

A thanks to both of you.

The giving forum reads the required password is the deal breaker. I will have to see what Verizons new deal is for personal file uploads and if not I will try the free hosting site.

If multiple user passwords are ever added, consider a provision for a GUEST password which would bring up a login with a customizable question such as: 'Matt's dog's name is?' or 'Matt's middle name is?' It would allow for semi-restricted access intended for friend's and family instead of the entire universe. Multiple answers may be needed for to this to really work such as hanna, hannah, Hanna, Hannah, HANNA, HANNAH or Sam, Sammy, SAM, SAMMY, sam, sammy (being that I have two dogs) OR MOOSE (Sam is 160lb bull mastiff with not an ounce of fat.)

Seperate user priviledges would also be great. First thoughts being Administrator: all access; Resident: wife, kids, parents, friend, person looking over the house while on vacation, gardener, pool guy,...: they can use controls but not make changes; General Public: can see shared content on web server but not any automation contols.

Maybe it could even ask a user (webpage, mobilic setup, conductor setup, ...) what type of access they would like and what type of guest the are (have user name or need answer question about ??Matt??)

Sorry for the rambling, I get excited easily.

Thanks again,

Matt

Archived