Can't turn off light

iowaj

In our kitchen tonight we had a bulb burn out. It is one of a pair controlled by an Insteon switch. Now I can't get the one that works to turn off with the switch. I tried resetting the switch by pulling out the little tab and then pushing it back flush with switch. Light of course went out but came right back on when tab was pushed back flush. I pushed the tab all the way in and tried restoring the device through the ISY system but no luck.

Any suggestions? The switch is pretty new.

Thanks!

If it is stuck On and even the local paddles will not turn it Off. The surge from the bulb burning out damaged the switch.

Another clue is the bulb goes off with the Air Gap switch but is stuck On as soon as the Air Gap switch is closed again.

Call Smarthomes Insteon Gold Support Line and explain the problem. They will probably replace the switch. I believe I have seen others reporting switch failures in the Smarthome Forums.

Interesting response.....thanks! I have actually had switches fail......40 of them!!! I am not impressed (again) with theses switches if that is indeed the problem here. This is one switch I replaced in the last 6 months. Will be giving Smart Home a call.

40 failed? :roll:

Where some of them the older ones with known tact switch problems? The ones where the paddles pushing would intermittently work. Those where given a 7 year warranty extension for just intermittent button operations.

Yes, the 40 that I replaced were due to switch failure. The majority were 2876DB switches REV 1.2 with some 2476 D 3.1 and some 2486D 1.4. We purchased the home with this system/switches already installed. We had no idea what was going on as switches gradually just started to randomly not work sometimes or failed completely. Found out about the extended warranty and Smarthome was very nice and replaced them all. It was not fun going around and putting them all in, but we made it!

Archived