Insteon Light Bulb.

Brian H

OK have not had a good look at it yet but it looks like there is an Insteon Light Bulb being released.

Sales page {just looked again :mrgreen: }. Indicates it has both power line and RF mesh interfaces.

http://www.smarthome.com/2672-222/INSTE ... ulb/p.aspx

Is in the FCC Database.

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/rep ... Search.cfm

Grentee: SBP

Product Code: 26722

I saw one thing in the manual that may effect adding them to a setup.

Looks like no Set Button it just goes into linking mode at power up and then times out in four seconds if linking not started by a controller. :roll:

Though sketchy right now. I would think a controller like the ISY99i or ISY994i could initiate a remote scene setup and links. Even after the manual linking mode for four seconds expires.

Good question on how the ISY system could add it.

Developers Group got no information on it at all but that lately seem the norm.

Manual indicated HouseLinc could add it to scenes. So my best guess is when ISY support is added. It will also be able to add it to scenes.

Who actually makes the LED's and the driver? There is enough garbage LED "Bulbs" floating around, we don't need any more even if they have Insteon Control built in. Any ideas?

Hopefully its Cree or Phillips. But it looks nothing like the Phillips bulbs, so my guess... not them.

I saw one thing in the manual that may effect adding them to a setup.

Looks like no Set Button it just goes into linking mode at power up and then times out in four seconds if linking not started by a controller. :roll:

Though sketchy right now. I would think a controller like the ISY99i or ISY994i could initiate a remote scene setup and links. Even after the manual linking mode for four seconds expires.

If it's i2cs (uncertain), wouldn't you need to link it to the PLM before you could do that? So, put the ISY's PLM in linking mode, then screw in the Insteon light bulb, then you can do everything else normally. Not sure how the ISY will feel about doing things that way.

Uninformed guess. So many folks wanted to try them. They are limiting to the US for now.

The sales page does indicate it has Canadian approvals.

In a surprising move. The Developers Group Code area actually had the Developers Notes for it the same day it was being sold.

Anyone who gets one. Please chime in with results. Especially on how long you can set the ramp rate to.

Important Note

When in use, INSTEON LED Bulb emits a subtle buzzing noise that is barely noticeable. However, when several bulbs are installed in a single location, the buzzing may become more apparent.

Just caught this information at the bottom of the sales page. I'll pass, because the buzzing would drive me insane! My home is very quiet and I have very good hearing so, no way.

Teken . . .

Hi Teken,

I must say that we share the same trait! The last time I bought a laptop, I spent weeks to find one with the lowest overall noise. I just cannot stand it especially at nights when there's complete quiet everywhere else except for the laptop.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi Teken,

I must say that we share the same trait! The last time I bought a laptop, I spent weeks to find one with the lowest overall noise. I just cannot stand it especially at nights when there's complete quite everywhere else except for the laptop.

With kind regards,

Michel

Glad to know I am not alone! :mrgreen: To be fair to all parties. It was great that SmartHome took the time to reference that piece of information for potential buyers. It sets the expectation for all, it also ensures no surprises. This reduces product returns, while increasing customer satisfaction.

Teken . . .

I see where they list that it is a repeater on the power line.

I wonder why there is no section under the specifications for "Power line frequency" and "Transmit level" as there is with all other dual band devices?

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered 2 of the LED bulbs when I first received the availability notice from Smarthome. Just received them and set them up via ISY-99i. They respond very fast and the light intensity is very good. I could not find the output in lumens listed at 100%. The dimming works great and NO Buzzing that I can hear, even up close. Overall, very impressed.

I needed to upgrade to the latest version of ISY-99 firmware for the Auto config to recognize it.

I use MobiLinc PRO on my iPhone to turn On/Off and Dim. Also mapped an X10 key pad to turn it On/Off.

The sales page says 0x01 0x3A. The subcat is for the 915MHz units.

I believe a few BulbLinc users where picking LampLinc from the drop down list.

Michel has indicated the BulbLinc will be added in a future Beta release.

Well I was on the edge on getting one.

Now I have decided to wait.

In the Smarthome Forums some one unscrewed theirs from the lamp socket and the center button on the bulbs bottom. Fell Off! :roll:

Well I was on the edge on getting one.

Now I have decided to wait.

In the Smarthome Forums some one unscrewed theirs from the lamp socket and the center button on the bulbs bottom. Fell Off! :roll:

That thing called: Early Adopter?? :cry::mrgreen:

Teken . . .

I ordered 2 of the LED bulbs when I first received the availability notice from Smarthome. Just received them and set them up via ISY-99i. They respond very fast and the light intensity is very good. I could not find the output in lumens listed at 100%. The dimming works great and NO Buzzing that I can hear, even up close. Overall, very impressed.

I needed to upgrade to the latest version of ISY-99 firmware for the Auto config to recognize it.

I use MobiLinc PRO on my iPhone to turn On/Off and Dim. Also mapped an X10 key pad to turn it On/Off.

Please provide the prcedure used to install into the ISY 99i and you mentioned that you needed to upgrade . . . my version is 3.2.6 . . . is that OK? I am a novice at this and could use some hand-holding. The install sheet isn't very helpful.

dtrose

3.2.6 is the latest ISY firmware. Use Link Management | New INSTEON Device, select a LampLinc as the Device Type. The LED bulb device type is not currently listed in the device list so Auto Discover will not work. Others have defined the LED bulb as a LampLinc with operational success.

Archived