ISY-26 configuration/usage problems.

lutusp

I just acquired an ISY-26 today, and have been setting it up using a Linux desktop machine for configuration. I have a relatively large system of new Insteon controls, replacing an earlier X-10 installation. I have some inquiries and suggestions.

1. The ISY-26 interface won't work on Linux. I have had to use a copy of Windows XP running under a virtual machine in order to accomplish anything.

By "won't work", I mean a system running Fedora 8 with the current Java version (Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_04-b12)) and Firefox 2.0.0.10, properly linked to the JRE. After entering the URL provided by the Telnet interface (http://192.168.0.17:65532/) (I have set up a static IP), the HTML page appears and the applet tries to launch, but it only makes a very brief appearance and never fully launches. Because your interface is a Java applet, no error messages can be gotten. I tried disabling my firewall and a few other obvious things, to no effect.

2. I applied the workaround of using Windows XP. Unfortunately, while operating under Windows XP in a virtual machine (VirtualBox), I am getting "No such session, must log in again" messages about every 15-30 seconds, which makes it very difficult to write programs. I must save my work almost after each entered word in order not to have to simply retype everything.

3. Please provide the ISY-26 log file in some form other than by trying to launch Excel. Not everyone has Excel, not everyone wants it, there are many perfectly good spreadsheet programs in the world apart from Excel. Also, for maximum utility, rather than trying to launch some viewer program, the log file should be saved to disk in a plain-text, comma-separated format, so absolutely anyone can read it using absolutely any program -- including Excel.

4. I have some old X-10 remotes that I plan to use to control my Insteon interfaces by way of the ISY-26, and nearly everything is working, except that the remotes (UR19A) emit an unknown or malformed code for "all on" and "all off" (I tried matching all sorts of possible codes, but nothing worked). These particular commands worked fine under the old X-10 setup, but won't work at all now. It would be child's play to tell your software which code to watch for, except for the fact that it isn't possible to discover which code is being emitted, because your program doesn't have any debugging or monitoring facilities.

A real-time, interactive window that tells the user what is going on in the communication channel would be a godsend. Imagine Wireshark, except with a display of X10 and Insteon codes.

Apart from "all on" and "all off", the old X-10 remotes work fine by way of little X-10 trigger programs in the ISY-26 to produce the desired Insteon outputs. All but those two.

Oh, one more thing. The ISY-26 software updated itself immediately today on the first run, so I have version 2.6 of your software.

The bottom line is that the switch to Insteon controllers immediately resolved a number of longstanding reliability and communication problems that had plagued my old X-10 system. And your hardware acts as a translator so it is possible to use my old remote controls as well as a motion sensor, neither available yet in Insteon form. If only these software issues can be resolved.

Thanks for reading!

Paul Lutus

www.arachnoid.com

Paul,

Welcome to the ISY. Like you I'm a long time X10 user transitioning to Insteon. I had used the Insteon devices for 2 years waiting for a credible stand alone controller to be developed - the ISY has fit the billing. Once you get beyond the (short) learning curve, I believe you'll be elated.

I can't help much with the linux questions. I have a linux server, but chose to administer the ISY through my windows machines. There is one linux tread located here : http://www.forum.universal-devices.com/viewtopic.php?t=225

In regard to the X10 command troubleshooting - there are debug commands that can be accessed. The wiki describes how to enter debug mode 1 through telnet. X10 receipts can then be monitored through the Java console (I find firefox to be a convenient browser interface). The Wiki instructions are located here : http://www.universal-devices.com/mwiki/index.php?title=ISY-26_Insteon:X10_Troubleshooting

I just tried an X10 All-on trigger with three different devices (controlinc Maxi, X10 remote/RR501, CM15a) - these do work.

The issue may be related to the trigger itself. The ISY is very literal - what you see is what you get. The X10 protocol embeds a unit code (the last accessed) within the allon/alloff commands as shown below.

Java Console Monitor (DBG=1)

2008/02/16 16:40:34 : [ X10] hc=A uc=1

2008/02/16 16:40:36 : [ X10] hc=A uc=1 cc=5 {all on}

2008/02/16 16:40:37 : [ X10] hc=A uc=1 cc=13 {all off}

2008/02/16 16:40:39 : [ X10] hc=A uc=5

2008/02/16 16:40:41 : [ X10] hc=A uc=5 cc=5 {all on}

2008/02/16 16:40:43 : [ X10] hc=A uc=5 cc=13 {all off}

Trigger

If
       X10 'A/All Lights On (5)' is Received

Then
  - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Else
  - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Note that in the above the trigger is for "A" (no unit code). In order to select this you need to choose the unit code "-" from the drop down menu.

If this doesn't work for your X10 device, please post the Java Console reception for your X10 Allon command.

IM

> I can't help much with the linux questions. I have a linux

> server, but chose to administer the ISY through my windows

> machines. There is one linux tread located here :

> http://www.forum.universal-devices.com/ ... .php?t=225

Yes, read that, didn't help. I have no idea why it's failing.

Your suggestion to use the Java console was very useful -- I had forgotten that it existed. Thanks! I write a lot of Java applications, but I don't write many applets any more.

> Note that in the above the trigger is for "A" (no unit code).

> In order to select this you need to choose the unit code

> "-" from the drop down menu.

Unfortunately, in software version 2.6, there is no "-" option in the unit code drop-down list, only 1 through 16. I haven't tried hand-editing the code yet, but that's one workaround, assuming the program still knows to disregard a unit specifier of "-".

It turns out that the UR19A remote includes the last entered unit code with its "all units off" and "all lights on" commands, which makes it a moving target. So unless I can get the "-" option reinstated in the GUI, it will be difficult to get around this one (except for the hand-editing option).

Well, as long as I am posting, I would like to add a few more comments. The documentation for the linking options is very confusing. It says to start the linking mode and then "press the 'set' button" on each responder of interest. I did that, but I have no idea how one presses the 'set' button in such a way as to alert the ISY-26 that the responder is responding. And the ISY-26 doesn't give any feedback that anything is happening.

Manually creating links between units is clearly described in the manufacturer's notes, and that is very easy, because there is visual feedback that an action has been successful. But the ISY-26 procedure isn't documented well enough to be feasible.

An unrelated note that everyone needs to know about common Insteon controllers. Controllers that have fluorescent lamp loads (like all of mine) require a connection to a neutral (white) wire. The security of this connection is critical to the survival of the controller -- if a wire nut is applied carelessly and the neutral connection is not absolutely secure, the unit will fail when power is applied.

Worse, if the neutral path is broken elsewhere in the house, and if that broken connection feeds multiple Insteon controllers, they will all fail when power is reapplied.

I only lost two controllers through my lack of vigilance to this issue, after which I realized the full dimensions of the problem -- if the neutral circuit is not secure or is erratic, current will flow between the supply and the switched lead in a way that assures instant failure.

Thanks again for your help!

Paul,

Answers/clarifications below -

> http://www.forum.universal-devices.com/ ... .php?t=225

Yes, read that, didn't help. I have no idea why it's failing.

You may want to post in the Linux thread. Maybe LinuxGuy has experience.

> Note that in the above the trigger is for "A" (no unit code).

> In order to select this you need to choose the unit code

> "-" from the drop down menu.

Unfortunately, in software version 2.6, there is no "-" option in the unit code drop-down list, only 1 through 16. I haven't tried hand-editing the code yet, but that's one workaround, assuming the program still knows to disregard a unit specifier of "-".

It turns out that the UR19A remote includes the last entered unit code with its "all units off" and "all lights on" commands, which makes it a moving target. So unless I can get the "-" option reinstated in the GUI, it will be difficult to get around this one (except for the hand-editing option).

Sorry, I wasn't very clear on a number of items:

1) All of my interfaces include the "last entered" unit code along with the Allon/Alloff command. To activate the ISY you need the "-" unitcode (as you surmised).

2) I am currently running Version 2.6.1 (2.7 beta). It's entirely possible that the "-" unit code wasn't available in 2.6 (full release). Email the ISY guys and they'll give you a link (they're great about this).

Well, as long as I am posting, I would like to add a few more comments. The documentation for the linking options is very confusing. It says to start the linking mode and then "press the 'set' button" on each responder of interest. I did that, but I have no idea how one presses the 'set' button in such a way as to alert the ISY-26 that the responder is responding. And the ISY-26 doesn't give any feedback that anything is happening.

Manually creating links between units is clearly described in the manufacturer's notes, and that is very easy, because there is visual feedback that an action has been successful. But the ISY-26 procedure isn't documented well enough to be feasible.

The ISY linking is a snap once you've gotten accustomed to it. My preferred method is to "remove all existing links" (option 1) so that the ISY has knowledge of all links in the system.

1) Place the ISY into Linking mode (option 1 remove all links)

2) Tap link your individual devices - Place them in linking mode by holding on for 10 sec's (or per instructions for lamplincs - etc).

3) Hit cancel in the ISY - It will link all of your "tap linked" devices"

An unrelated note that everyone needs to know about common Insteon controllers. Controllers that have fluorescent lamp loads (like all of mine) require a connection to a neutral (white) wire. The security of this connection is critical to the survival of the controller -- if a wire nut is applied carelessly and the neutral connection is not absolutely secure, the unit will fail when power is applied.

Worse, if the neutral path is broken elsewhere in the house, and if that broken connection feeds multiple Insteon controllers, they will all fail when power is reapplied.

I only lost two controllers through my lack of vigilance to this issue, after which I realized the full dimensions of the problem -- if the neutral circuit is not secure or is erratic, current will flow between the supply and the switched lead in a way that assures instant failure.

Absolutely correct - this become far more dangerous if you happen to choose the incorrect "neutral" connection. If this happens, there is the possibility of developing 220V across your switch. There's a long thread over at techmall dealing with this. If you're interested, I'll try to forward it (initiated by Yardman).

Sorry this is again a bit brief - I'm elbows deep into a big screen TV and have an hour before game time.

IM

Thanks for your helpful suggestions. I have made some progress.

The Linux issue, a failure to launch the Java applet from Firefox, was caused by a misconfiguration that is built into Fedora 8. For any others who want to run the ISY-26/99 software on Fedora Linux, the remedy is to delete this symbolic link:

/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin.so

Then install the correct Java plugin version (1.6) from here:

http://java.com/

The deleted link was causing two different Java versions to be associated with the running browser, which got it completely confused.

About the "-" unit code. It turns out that the 2.6 software doesn't recognize and handle "-", instead producing an error. So I guess I'll wait until 2.6.1 becomes official.

Thanks again!

lutusp,

I am so very sorry for the problems you've been having and I grant you that our documentation is not complete.

And, thank you so very much for your feedback and providing the solution for Fedora 8. If you don't mind, I am going to copy your post into our Linux forum. I would sincerely appreciate if you could post Linux only related issues there: http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewforum.php?f=18.

Thanks again and with kind regards,

Michel

Thanks for your helpful suggestions. I have made some progress.

The Linux issue, a failure to launch the Java applet from Firefox, was caused by a misconfiguration that is built into Fedora 8. For any others who want to run the ISY-26/99 software on Fedora Linux, the remedy is to delete this symbolic link:

/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin.so

Then install the correct Java plugin version (1.6) from here:

http://java.com/

The deleted link was causing two different Java versions to be associated with the running browser, which got it completely confused.

About the "-" unit code. It turns out that the 2.6 software doesn't recognize and handle "-", instead producing an error. So I guess I'll wait until 2.6.1 becomes official.

Thanks again!

Archived