How to link two Remotelincs?

jmed999

RemoteLinc and RemoteLinc2 are Controller Only devices. Both can be added to one ISY Scene as Controllers that has the garage light as a Responder such that buttons on either device control the garage light. However, as Controller Only devices their respective status cannot be updated as say a KeypadLinc button which is both a Controller and a Responder. The "Current State" of a RemoteLinc and RemoteLinc2 button is simply a reflection of the last command received from the button.

Same with Motion Sensors, TriggerLincs as they are Controller Only devices.

Oh ok.

I was hoping to put a remotelinc in the bedroom and another mounted on the wall of the garage. Both would control a lamp in the bedroom among other things. When it’s time to go to sleep we can turn off the lamp with the remotelinc in the bedroom. When we get home from a late night we could use the remotelinc to turn on the lamp (for security reasons) before we open the door from the garage to the house.

That was my intent. The problem is if the lamp was turned off with the remotelinc in the bedroom then the next day I want to turn it on from the garage, I would actually have to tap the button twice, but of course I wouldn’t know that so it would remain off. This kind of defeats the whole purpose.

Am I missing anything here? Are there other ways to do this?

That is the nature of a RemoteLinc2. Being a battery RF device it goes to sleep immediately after pressing button to extend battery life. It cannot receive any command while it is asleep to change the button behavior. Also there is no command to change the button behavior because it would be useless in a device that is asleep most of the time.

One solution is not to link the RemoteLinc2 buttons in a 3 way configuration. Trigger a Program based on a button press, On or Off, and have the Program toggle the bedroom light On and Off. Or pay attention to the color the RemoteLinc2 LED flashes when the button is pressed. Or put the RemoteLinc2 into non-toggle On mode so it only ever turns On the bedroom light. That puts all the RemoteLinc2 buttons in non-toggle mode so there are negatives to all alternatives that use a RemoteLinc2 in a 3 way. Pick your poison.

Or use a KeypadLinc in the garage where the button LED would indicate the state of the bedroom light.

One solution is not to link the RemoteLinc2 buttons in a 3 way configuration. Trigger a Program based on a button press, On or Off, and have the Program toggle the bedroom light On and Off.

quote]

This sounds interesting. What would a program like this look like?

Program CycleLight2 MUST BE DISABLEd so it does not trigger again when it changes the Status of the LampLinc.

CycleLight1

If
       Control 'RemoteLinc2 - 8 Scene - B / RemoteLinc2 - 8 Scene - A' is switched On
   Or Control 'RemoteLinc2 - 8 Scene - B / RemoteLinc2 - 8 Scene - A' is switched Off

Then
       Run Program 'CycleLight2' (If)

Else
  - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

CycleLight2

If
       Status  'LampLinc DB' is not Off

Then
       Set 'LampLinc DB' Off

Else
       Set 'LampLinc DB' On

Thanks. You got me thinking what about...

Program #1

If:

Remotelinc 1 A is pressed

Or

Remotelinc 2 A is pressed

Then:

switch Lamplinc on

Else:

nothing

Program #2

If:

Remotelinc 1 B is pressed

Or

Remotelinc 2 B is pressed

Then:

switch Lamplinc off

Else:

nothing

Would this work to force the 2 remotelincs into a 3 way configuration? The only downfall is it would take two buttons on the remotelincs instead of one.

Program CycleLight2 MUST BE DISABLEd so it does not trigger again when it changes the Status of the LampLinc.

CycleLight1

If
       Control 'RemoteLinc2 - 8 Scene - B / RemoteLinc2 - 8 Scene - A' is switched On
   Or Control 'RemoteLinc2 - 8 Scene - B / RemoteLinc2 - 8 Scene - A' is switched Off

Then
       Run Program 'CycleLight2' (If)

Else
  - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

CycleLight2

If
       Status  'LampLinc DB' is not Off

Then
       Set 'LampLinc DB' Off

Else
       Set 'LampLinc DB' On

So would scene A be with remotelinc 1 and scene B be with remotelinc 2?

Response to two posts back

Yes. The If statements require checking for specific commands or specific status, however the concept is valid. Remotelinc2 can be set to 4 Scene mode where the left button sends an Off and right button sends an On (or maybe that is backwards). Like all things with the RemoteLinc2 this would affect the entire device reducing from 8 different Scenes to 4 different Scenes. They also have a single paddle RemoteLlinc2 if all that is anticipated is controlling the bedroom light.

Response to one post back

I have multiple RemoteLinc2's, A, B, C, etc. The B indicates RemoteLinc2 B. My Program example handles only 1 RemoteLinc2. Add checks for the same commands from another RemoteLinc2 if both RemoteLinc2's should be processed the same way.

So your program would force a toggle and only use one button (such as button a) from both remotelincs.

My program would force an on from both remotelincs if button a is pressed and force an off if button b is pressed.

The pro for my program is it would be an on/off instead of a toggle. The con of my program is it would require the use of two buttons.

Correct?

“So your program would force a toggle and only use one button (such as button a) from both remotelincs.â€

My example handles an On or Off from a single button. It allows all the RemoteLinc2 buttons to operate in toggle mode. Unlike a KeypadLinc where each KPL button can be set to one of the three toggle modes, all the buttons on a RemoteLinc2 must operate in the same mode.

“My program would force an on from both remotelincs if button a is pressed and force an off if button b is pressed.â€

An ISY Program cannot force any command from a RemoteLinc2 button. Your example was pseudo code, missing some operative aspects of ISY statements. Not possible to know what commands were going to handled from the RemoteLinc2 buttons

“The pro for my program is it would be an on/off instead of a toggle. The con of my program is it would require the use of two buttons.:

Correct?

It would require two buttons. Unless the RemoteLinc2 is configured for 4 Scenes where the left button in a given row is Off and the right button is On, if the RemoteLinc2 is in 8 Scene mode each button will toggle On/Off (unless of course the entire RemoteLinc2 is put into one of the non-toggle modes).

Before writing a program I have both remotelincs set in 4 scene mode. Of course it only controls 4 devices but it works exactly how I want it to. If you press "On" on either remotelinc, the device will be on.

A separate issue I'm having is, one device blinks red 4 times after pressing the on or off button for that device. I think that usually signifies a communication issue but the device does change state and I'm getting Hops left = 1. So I don't think it's a communication issue.

Any ideas on what could be causing the blinking red light?

After pressing the remotelinc button "a" to turn off or "b" to turn on the red LED on the remotelinc will blink red a few times. The device it is controlling is a relay switchlinc. The switchlinc changes state from on to off and vise versa. The switchlinc doesn't blink...the remotelinc does.

After pressing the remotelinc button "a" to turn off or "b" to turn on the red LED on the remotelinc will blink red a few times. The device it is controlling is a relay switchlinc. The switchlinc changes state from on to off and vise versa. The switchlinc doesn't blink...the remotelinc does.

Sorry, I misinterpreted the information.

Either the ACK from the SwitchLinc is not making it back to the RemoteLinc2 OR there are other links for those buttons in the RemoteLinc2,.

After putting the RemoteLinc2 into linking mode with its Set button, run Show Device Links Table for the RemoteLinc2. Look for E2 ....... Controller links to a device address that is not expected. If the links are correct move the RemoteLinc2 to a different Dual Band device location and try the buttons again.

I moved very close to a few dual band devices and it didn't help.

I looked at the device links like you suggested. I noticed that it was linked to quite a few devices. I'm also afraid that I may not have deleted all the links to the devices outside the ISY. How can I clear all the links in and out of the ISY and start over? Will a factory reset clear all the links and solve this?

A factory reset of the RemoteLinc2 will clear the link database. The normal procedure would be a Restore Device which causes the ISY to rewrite the RemoteLinc2 link database.

I suggest doing a Show Device Links Table followed by a Compare button click when the display completes. That will show if the ISY thinks some of those links should not be there. If the ISY says all the links that exist are correct then I would delete the RemoteLinc2, add it back with "Erase existing links' (should not matter with a factory reset) and recreate the Scenes.

I would do a factory reset. The "Ignore" is the End Of List record at the end of every device link database. The Compare describes it as Ignore as it is understood to be the EOL record which the ISY does not waste space in the ISY memory for a record that has no meaning past the first byte. The Restore Device should not write back the "Extra" records.

Before I read your reply I did a "restore device". This seems to have solved the problem. Is there a reason to do a factory reset now?

BTW, this is what the event veiwer says after tapping a device on via the remotelinc. Sure does look like a lot is going on here...is this normal?

Mon 09/03/2012 08:55:36 PM : [iNST-SRX    ] 02 50 1C.42.C5 00.00.01 C7 11 00    LTONRR (00)

Mon 09/03/2012 08:55:36 PM : [standard-Group][1C.42.C5-->Group=1] Max Hops=3, Hops Left=1

Mon 09/03/2012 08:55:36 PM : [  1C 42 C5 1]      DON   0

Mon 09/03/2012 08:55:36 PM : [  1C C9 B8 1]       ST 255

Mon 09/03/2012 08:55:36 PM : [  1C 42 C5 1]       ST 255

Mon 09/03/2012 08:55:36 PM : [iNST-SRX    ] 02 50 1C.42.C5 00.00.01 C3 11 00    LTONRR (00)

Mon 09/03/2012 08:55:36 PM : [standard-Group][1C.42.C5-->Group=1] Max Hops=3, Hops Left=0

Mon 09/03/2012 08:55:36 PM : [iNST-SRX    ] 02 50 1C.42.C5 00.00.01 C3 11 00    LTONRR (00):  Process Message: Ignored

Mon 09/03/2012 08:55:36 PM : [standard-Group][1C.42.C5-->Group=1] Max Hops=3, Hops Left=0

Mon 09/03/2012 08:55:37 PM : [iNST-SRX    ] 02 50 1C.42.C5 1C.FC.92 42 11 01    LTONRR (01)

Mon 09/03/2012 08:55:37 PM : [standard-Cleanup][1C.42.C5-->ISY/PLM Group=1] Max Hops=2, Hops Left=0

Mon 09/03/2012 08:55:37 PM : [iNST-SRX    ] 02 50 1C.42.C5 1C.FC.92 42 11 01    LTONRR (01):  Process Message: Ignored

Mon 09/03/2012 08:55:37 PM : [standard-Cleanup][1C.42.C5-->ISY/PLM Group=1] Max Hops=2, Hops Left=0

Archived