How do I control dimmable LED strips from a KPL?

gregmac

I'd like to put some LED strips under the cabinets in my kitchen, and control them (including dimming) from a KeypadLinc (or possibly a couple). I'm okay with dedicating a couple buttons to do a couple different pre-set levels, or a single button to rotate through levels, but either way, my goal is controlling the dim level via insteon.

I know I could just use an appliancelinc or something with relay output to control on/off, but that doesn't give remote dim ability. I'd also hugely prefer something that does real PWM control, as opposed to these silly hacks involving a nightlight.

What is the best way to go about this?

I'm doing some searching for any kind of HA-aware LED controller (Insteon, Z-wave, Zigbee), but I can't find anything, which is pretty surprising to me.

As a fallback, is it possible to use the ISY99* to connect a KeypadLinc button to do a web request? I am thinking I could at the very least least build a PWM LED controller using an Arduino or something and make it controllable via a simple HTTP API. Note I don't own an ISY and so I'm not entirely clear on the capabilities/limitations. Is the network module or web server module required (or are those the same module)?

Should not be that hard, or maybe I'm not fully understanding what you need to do.

There are lots of low-voltage dimmable LED strip and bar lights available. elementalled.com has a nice selection, along with LED driver modules that can run off a regular leading-edge 120V dimmer like a KPL dimmer.

I have a Foster 16192 12V LED-rated transformer sitting on the output of a KPL dimmer I use for a little entertainment patio lighting. At the time it was the only LED transformer I could find. A web search should turn it up.

If you want to use line voltage LEDs I don't have any experience to share. I'd probably consider LV bars or strips instead. The LV LED space has a lot more available and LV installs are easier anyway.

You'd also want to use a recent vintage Insteon dimmer, not something from your dusty parts bin. The older SL dimmers I scoped weren't well-balanced, so you could end up with more than a little DC getting coupled through the LED driver/transformer with those. The newer SL dimmers seem to be redesigned and much better. (I also use several SL dimmers connected to regular magnetic 12V transformers for my landscape lighting and I have no issue with that either.)

It isn't hard to issue web requests in the ISY triggered by a button press or any other event. You just need the ISY network module and a bit of ISY programming to trigger on whatever you want to.

There could be a bit of lag time between the button press and the actual dim. Homeseer 2 might be another option if you feel like buying it. I use HS2 with the ISY plug-in and it's easier to do some things with that interface and response time can sometimes be quicker with HS programs.

• 9 months later...

I ended up buying a 15' 5050 SMD LED strip, power supply, and RGB controller with remote from ebay, and then used an IRLinc transmitter (2411t) to control everything.

The IR controller is easily found all over the place, and comes with a membrane-style remote with DIYx keys which you can adjust to be whatever color/levels you want.

GA4wBSq.png

Since I am using only a single-color LED strip, I connected just one channel (red, I think, though it doesn't matter). You could actually split the strip into separate pieces, and connect the different pieces to the different color outputs to control each: instead of the color, red brightness controls one channel, blue controls another, etc.

I then used the remote to set the LED strip brightness (by adjusting RED level) and then saved different levels to the DIY keys. I didn't get fancy here: DIY1 is off, DIY2 is ~50%, and DIY3 is 100%.

Next I linked the KPL buttons to the IRLinc, so that the buttons correspond to pressing the different DIYx keys. This is great because I actually messed with my "medium" (DIY2) setting a bit later on, and it is simply a matter of changing the DIY2 level with the remote -- no need to touch the IRLinc, since it just sends the "DIY2" key, and not any specific levels.

I've had this running for about 8 months now, and daily use is pretty much flawless. The KPL is used to adjust kitchen scenes (which includes LED counter lighting) many times a day. I'd guess I've seen the LEDs not respond 2 or 3 times in that 8 months, and pressing again fixes the issue.

I have some issues with it, specifically with the ISY:

• [*:4d8iaqvn]Controlling the IRLinc from the ISY or an ISY program is hit or miss. I don't know if this is a reliability issue or something else, but some days it works, some days it doesn't. I never have control issues from other switches. YMMV.
    [*:4d8iaqvn]The ISY doesn't see the "off" links (the IRLinc sending a code in response to off commands).
    [*:4d8iaqvn]I haven't tried too much, but I was unsuccessful linking a controller to an IR command using the ISY. I programmed all of this using the manual press-and-hold method (before I bought the ISY), but I'm pretty sure that's the only way to fully program it anyway.

Hi gregmac,

There are many variables at play here:

1. Making sure IRLinc TX is indeed capable of storing and repeating the IR commands necessary for your LED strips

2. You have the latest shipping versions of IRLinc TX

3. The distance/noise considerations between IRLinc TX and the LED

I would start with #1 and then go from there.

With kind regards,

Michel

Archived