Christmas lights

bmiller

I left the test lamp unplugged, and let the program run anyway, and the second lamp stayed on until it was manually turned off via it's own kpl button.

Weird why turning on a lamp with no on command from the isy will then turn itself on and another unassociated light off and on, or unplugging a lamp will do the same thing.

After they are plugged in and turned on they both work as they should.

Could this be load sensing in enabled on the one i just added? It was brand new, and is supposed to come disabled. Why would it affect the other switch. Something to look at today.

bmiller-

My guess is a combination of load sensing on the lest lamp unit and a program reacting to the status change of that unit. Check the program summary tab in the console right after switching on or off the test lamp and look for any program that ran at that time. Post the contents of said program.

-Xathros

This morning i set up another test lamp with a different bulb. I had the Living Room lamp on, and plugged in the new test lamp and turned it on and off a few times, and the other lamp stayed on as

i expected it to. I then let the Christmas light program run it's morning routine while i was out for a bit, and when i came home, the Christmas lights were out, and the other lamp was still on as

it should be. I then turned the test lamp on from it's switch, and the other lamp went out, and the test lamp came on. It's a new switch on the Christmas lights, and load sensing is supposed to be

disabled, but it appears it isn't. Regardlerss, that shouldn't affect the other light, at least i don't think it should.

The summary shows the lights shut of at 8:30 AM as they should, and the next scheduled run is at dusk 6:16 PM. I turned the Christmas tree test lamp on using it's switch at about 9:00am.

The living room light only shows up in the away program. Right now i use it and the kitchen lights from a scene using 2 separate kpl buttons.

I disabled load sensing on the New Christmas light outlet linc. Weird though when i pressed the set button on the outlet, the Living Room light went out. I had to double tap the kpl button

to get it back on. Now when i try to turn the test lamp on, it stays off, and the other lamp stays on as it should. I have a feeling something is still amiss, it just hasn't shown up yet.

I added photos of the device links table for the Christmas lights, along with a list of devices. This may help figuring out if there is some unwanted link between the 2.

post-4005-140474157025_thumb.jpg

post-4005-140474157028_thumb.jpg

post-4005-140474157029_thumb.jpg

Does the ISY show the status change of the other light? I wonder if the devices are cross linked outside of the ISY.

-Xathros

I just ran a one minute timer for the test again, and then afterwards, turned the test lamp switch on and off, unplugged the test lamp, plugged it back in. After a couple of times doing these

operations, the living room light stayed on as it should. I turned the kpl button for the Christmas tree lights off, and the test lamp came on as per the program, and the other lamp stayed on as it should.

I performed the same routine with the living room lamp off. It stayed off. By all appearances, it was related to the load sense being on. Load sense is still on on the living room light.

I can't seem to replicate the problem since i disabled load sensing on the Christmas tree outlet. I don't know if that makes any sense to you experts.

How about a link records table for the LR light that was responding unexpectedly. So far I don't see any reason for this unless there is a program monitoring the status of the xmas lights outletlinc.

-Xathos

I see no cross links between the devices so either there is a program involved or the LR light is reacting to a spike or noise on the line which would be rather unusual.

If it continues to happen, the next thing to do is find every program that makes reference to the LR Light or scenes that it is a member of and analyze those.

Are these devices on the same circuit breaker?

-Xathros

Yes they are on the same breaker. Since i removed load sensing from the newest outlet, i can't seem to replicate the problem. The older one still has load sensing active. That's the way they both came.

Thanks for looking at the data. At least that confirms there is no unwanted linking involved.

Brad

I will assume for the moment that the load sensing on the LR lights was being triggered by the inrush to the downstream load. It should be immune to that but who knows.

-Xathros

• 2 weeks later...

I hooked up three strands of those new dripping icicles outside to an Insteon switched outlet (outlet is wired to an inside wall switch) the first strand lights no problem but the second and third do not light. When I connect all three to a different in switched wall outlet everything works fine. The strands are low wattage led lights. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Brian

Hi Brian-

If one works and not the rest, I would suspect a connection problem between the strands. Try changing the order in which they are plugged in. There must be power getting to the outlet to light the first strand so the problem must be downstream from there.

-Xathros

Archived