Error when trying to add Insteon LED Bulb

Check the Insteon Address. 55.55.12 seems like an odd value for a device address.

Is New INSTEON Device being used or Start Linking?

I never got past the start of linking process. I would enter the Insteon address that is printed on the bulb; ISY would start the linking process and actually find it. Then shortly thereafter the error is displayed. It happened consistently three times over.

I have two LED Bulbs arriving today (a day late!) so I can run tests with multiple samples. Could try running the Event Viewer at Level 3 so we can see what if any command responses are happening. The posted image shows a v.42 firmware which means some communication with the LED Bulb was successful. Not clear why the Insteon Engine could not be identified when the firmware version was obtained.

Could also run Help | About to verify the ISY Firmware and UI levels both show 3.3.4.

I have two LED Bulbs arriving today (a day late!) so I can run tests with multiple samples. Could try running the Event Viewer at Level 3 so we can see what if any command responses are happening. The posted image shows a v.42 firmware which means some communication with the LED Bulb was successful. Not clear why the Insteon Engine could not be identified when the firmware version was obtained.

Could also run Help | About to verify the ISY Firmware and UI levels both show 3.3.4.

OK:

ISY Help About.tiff

ISY LED Bulb New Device.tiff

ISY LED Bulb Error.tiff

The Link Management option to add devices means any devices represented by the existing link records in the LED Bulb link database are going to be accessed. That is not a good option for a new device coming from Smarthome as they often have links left over from testing. Better to use the Remove Existing Links option for a new device.

The Link Management option to add devices means any devices represented by the existing link records in the LED Bulb link database are going to be accessed. That is not a good option for a new device coming from Smarthome as they often have links left over from testing. Better to use the Remove Existing Links option for a new device.

It doesn't matter which option I use; I tried them all and they all result in the same error. I suspect v3.3.4 has a problem.

FedEx finally delivered the LED Bulbs today (5 days LATE). I had no problem adding the LED Bulb using New INSTEON Device (Auto Discover) on 3.3.4.

Suggest running Tools | Diagnostics | Event Viewer at LEVEL 3. Add the LED Bulb using New INSTEON Device, entering Insteon Address, Name of choice, with Device Type set to default Auto Discover. Use 'remove existing links'. Post the event trace.

I added the second LED Bulb successfully under 3.3.4. Just be sure it is On when doing the New INSTEON Device which insures there is power to the bulb. There may be an Insteon mesh network problem with where your LED Bulb is located. An Event Viewer trace of the device add process will show that.

The first socket I used must have been wired wrong?

Such a question makes me wonder that if the neutral and supply were reversed in the socket, whether this prohibit proper communication with an insteon bulb. My assumptions are that it would.

FYI - I reversed the wiring on a light socket. The LED Bulb works fine. Likely related to location than wiring.

I literally moved it over about 15 feet. It's on the same circuit as the one I originally tried - six recessed lights wired in parallel on one switch. Why it works on #1 and not on #6 is beyond me, particularly because it's supposed to be dual-band and there's an RF access point within 10 feet in the room.........

I literally moved it over about 15 feet. It's on the same circuit as the one I originally tried - six recessed lights wired in parallel on one switch. Why it works on #1 and not on #6 is beyond me, particularly because it's supposed to be dual-band and there's an RF access point within 10 feet in the room.........

I generally agree. The only experience I have that might explain this relates to wiring. I once ran across the case where a faulty wiring connection can cause marginal and intermittent communication in what appears to be an otherwise-functioning device. But, yes, one would expect the RF part of this to fill in the gaps (assuming that it is not blocked by the fixture). I wonder, also, if the RF capability is not completely isolated from the powerline, where corrupt powerline communication can affect the RF (all just speculation on my part).

Archived