Release 3.3.5 (RC2) Is Now Available

Michel Kohanim

Hi Folks

We talk about Group Devices as though this is some new and wonderful addition to the ISY. This is from the ISY User Guide that I downloaded back in 2010.

"Group Devices. Some INSTEON devices will create multiple entries within the

ISY. For example, KeypadLincs have 6 or 8 nodes in the ISY (one for each

button). You can choose to group these nodes together by right-clicking the

primary node and choosing “Group Devicesâ€."

As much as some products do not document much of their product, folks might be amazed at how much can be learned about the ISY by just reading the User Guide.

Michel,

I don't believe it has anything to do with my Java cache. I did flush it after doing the upgrade and the about dialog showed that I had both the new UI and the new firmware. The main reason I don't think it was my Java cache though was that the way I noticed the problem was my programs were exhibiting the issue. I understand how an outdated UI could affect the icon I said was missing, but the issue with the keypadlinc's was first noticed when a timed program adjusted the keypad backlight brightness and the result was the current level being set to 6% with a VERY long fade time. So I didn't notice it happen, I just noticed that twice a day I'd find rooms with the lights on at 6%. Eventually I noticed it was any light that was on a keypad directly. Then I ran the program "then" and "else" statements and noticed that it was causing the effect I described. Upon checking the keypad against the ISY link table, the keypad was shown to be corrupt. I went back to 3.2.6 and the problem went away. I restored the keypad link tables from there and upgraded again. This time the keypad led adjustments seemed to work and I thought that was the end. Last night I noticed one more keypad exhibiting the problem. I checked the link table and the very last entry was incorrect. I restored the device and now it seems to work fine. Unfortunately I didn't save the link tables or anything, but I could try to get logs if you need.

BTW, I noticed a similar post on the 3.3.3 release about the keypad led brightness not being able to be set. My keypadlincs are V.36.

I've loaded 3.3.5 and it seems fine. I flushed my java cache and tried the different URLs. I've tried the admin console in Windows 7 and Ubuntu. That said, I can't seem to get either of my 2 new motion sensors to send anything at all to the logs - either the regular log or event viewer levels 1 or 3. I have 3 other motion sensors that were already operational and they still seem to work - they send the proper commands and turn the lights on that I programmed them to. The 2 new ones (just got last week) will link fine to my ISY994i pro, but they never send anything to the logs. The motion led blinks, I've tried multiple batteries, I've disabled/enabled, deleted, and re-added both multiple times and still nothing. I even brought up my mobilinc on Android to see if the on/off status changed when the led sensed/showed motion, and even that doesn't change (which I believe rules out java cache).

I've played around with both sensors, adjusted the jumper 5 to on, tried all combinations of checks in the "options" area (after holding the set button until the led blinks), and I've run out of ideas.

Has anyone else had any issues with the motion sensors?

These new ones show up in the ISY as (2842-222) INSTEON Motion Sensor v.41 while my other (working) sensors have either v.00 or v.34 as the version.

When I linked the new ones I used the "Link a Motion Sensor" option and gave it just the Insteon ID with nothing else (name or type).

dec3169

Delete the Motion Sensor. Use New INSTEON Device, enter Insteon Address, Name of choice, leave Device Type Set to Auto Discover. Be sure Motion Sensor is in linking mode (Red LED blinking) before clicking Ok.

When add completes are there three nodes listed for the Motion Sensor.

I still have the same results. The sensor adds to the ISY just fine. I do get the sensor, the low bat, and the dusk dawn nodes. They never send anything back to the ISY though. In fact the only time I see anything in the event log is if I disable the sensor. I then get a whole bunch of what looks to be variables getting set to 0 - like RESET, CLIMD, and UOM). I do see it adding (and deleting) to the ISY as well.

I attached a zip with troubleshooting logs (level 3) for an add, delete, enable, disable, and a links query.

Files.zip

The link records in the Motion Sensor were created successfully.

How many times does the Motion Sensor Red LED blink when motion is sensed?

Both of them blink once. I have one in my garage that fast-blinks because it isn't super close to a DB device. (note - different device, and that one works).

These 2 however are not mounted yet, and I've worked on them near to a lamplinc, a fanlinc, a kpl, and my PLM - all DB devices. In fact when I'm in my office I have the PLM, a fanlinc, and an access point within 15 or so feet. My first thought was not being close enough, but since they both linked I figured I was not too far away. I moved to my office to prove that point to myself.

A single blink normally indicates the Motion Sensor is receiving an ACK from the PLM assuming that is the only device the Motion Sensor is linked to. Move the Motion Sensor far away from any DB device to confirm it blinks multiple times when not in RF range.

If it is confirmed the firmware in these Motion Sensors does blink multiple times when no ACK is received there is conflicting results which are hard to explain. The Red LED blinks once which indicates the PLM received and ACKed the Motion On, yet nothing is presented to the ISY (I assume the Event Viewer shows messages from other devices but not from this specific Motion Sensor).

A single blink normally indicates the Motion Sensor is receiving an ACK from the PLM assuming that is the only device the Motion Sensor is linked to. Move the Motion Sensor far away from any DB device to confirm it blinks multiple times when not in RF range.

If it is confirmed the firmware in these Motion Sensors does blink multiple times when no ACK is received there is conflicting results which are hard to explain. The Red LED blinks once which indicates the PLM received and ACKed the Motion On, yet nothing is presented to the ISY (I assume the Event Viewer shows messages from other devices but not from this specific Motion Sensor).

Your assumption is correct.

Ok I took the sensor a few blocks away and it still only blinked once on motion. Now here's where things get strange. I decided to try linking it up to a switchlinc (NON-DB) that is not linked in my ISY - just a spare. First I hooked the SL into a project box I built that acts as a 3-wire appliance cord but much cleaner (almost like a KPL holder). When I turn the switch on/off I see the action in my ISY event logs even though the device is not linked or managed by the isy. Then I manually linked the sensor to the switch using the buttons, while still keeping the sensor linked in the ISY. Motion does not change the switch state, but if I press the set button on the sensor the switchlinc will turn off or on alternately. It still doesn't show anything in the events log. How can my motion sensor (wireless) control a wired device (non-DB) by the button, and have nothing show up, but not control the device with motion? I don't understand that one at all.

To be thorough, I also did the same test after deleting the sensor from the ISY, so neither device was linked to the ISY. Pressing the set button on the sensor still controlled the switchlinc without having anything show up in the event logs.

I'm holding back another test as well because I really don't want to do it if I don't have to. I took down my Kitchen motion sensor and am debating deleting it from the ISY, and then trying to re-add it. Problem is, it says it's a 2420M, 1910 rev 2.0 and it actually still works. The new one says its a 2842-222, 1512 rev2.2. I'm afraid to delete the working one in case I can't re-add it.

I'm holding back another test as well because I really don't want to do it if I don't have to. I took down my Kitchen motion sensor and am debating deleting it from the ISY, and then trying to re-add it. Problem is, it says it's a 2420M, 1910 rev 2.0 and it actually still works. The new one says its a 2842-222, 1512 rev2.2. I'm afraid to delete the working one in case I can't re-add it.

I tried a different test. The sensor I have that works (Kitchen) sends stuff to the event logs every time I press the set button. Neither of the 2 new ones sends anything on the button presses.

I also tried deleting one of them, and re-adding it to the ISY by calling it a 2420M-SP instead of the auto discovery. Same result.

"How can my motion sensor (wireless) control a wired device (non-DB) by the button, and have nothing show up, but not control the device with motion? I don't understand that one at all."

If the options are set for Dusk/Dawn only or there is a very large timeout value specified the Set button would generate a Motion message but motion detection would not.

Actually the MS blinking only once when not in RF range is a good thing. It opens the possibility the PLM link database is full. Just had another user over the weekend that had new Motion Sensor and TriggerLincs not working because the PLM could not hold the new Responder link records.

Run Tools | Diagnostics | Show PLM Links Table. When all the link records have been read the Count button is active which will produce a count of link records read. The Show PLM Links Table has to be run 3-4 times and produce that same link record count for the count to be believed. Any Insteon traffic reaching the PLM while the Show PLM is running will result in false high or low record counts. If the Show PLM and Count produces a count of 992 consistently the PLM link database is full.