Home Alarm...

Issacsim

I have a DSC alarm with a PC5401 interface card in it. I run io_guy's DSCLink program on an always on computer and it provides the connectivity between the alarm and ISY. It's been about 90% reliable. I use alarm panel connected motion detectors and door sensors to turn on lights and an "away" keypad button to arm/disarm. I think the reason it isn't 100% reliable might be my (older) interface card but I don't know for sure. Maybe someone with a newer (IT100?) can provide some insight into those.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Thanks johnnyt and apostolakisl,

I will need a new system. I am looking at Honeywell and DSC (7" touch keypads), most likely Honeywell with tuxedo keypads. Also my preferred installer does not do ELK.

Vera has a nice plugin for the Honeywell, was hoping to find a more elegant way of connecting to ISY, so I could go with the ISY instead.

I use an EnvisaLink card with my PC1832 and DSCLink into the ISY. Everything is hard-wired.

I run DSCLink on a Raspberry Pi so it only eats a couple watts of electricity and doesn't need a standalone computer.

I can't remember the last time it went down.

I use the new PTK5507 touchscren keypad - it's quite nice.

The EnvisaLink can be accessed over the web but cannot directly link to the ISY without DSCLink.

I use an EnvisaLink card with my PC1832 and DSCLink into the ISY. Everything is hard-wired.

I run DSCLink on a Raspberry Pi so it only eats a couple watts of electricity and doesn't need a standalone computer.

I can't remember the last time it went down.

I use the new PTK5507 touchscren keypad - it's quite nice.

The EnvisaLink can be accessed over the web but cannot directly link to the ISY without DSCLink.

Which OS are you running on the Raspberry Pi?

I know your installer doesn't do Elk, but I think you should reconsider. As someone who wants security and automation (presumably Insteon) to work together, and as someone who currently does not have a pre-installed security system.

There is no better way to link an ISY to a security panel than to use an Elk with the Elk module for ISY. Bar none, it is a superior method and not just by a little. io guy created a fabulous program in the dsclink, but it can't compare to the built-in Elk control that ISY has. Virtually any aspect of the security system is accessible from ISY and it is all there in its native form (ie, zones are listed by name as the zones they are, outputs are the same, zone voltages, armed status, armed up status, alarm status, temps, zone bypasses, etc, etc. . . it is all there in easy to use format. No need to code a bunch of variables as go betweens. If you already had a DSC installed, no doubt, ioguys program is a great tool.

As far as installing, Elk hardwires in the same as any other system. The pure security side programming is something any experienced alarm installer should be able to pick up in a few minutes. All the fancy automation stuff has a learning curve, but that really should fall to you to do anyway.

Just saying, I think you will kick yourself later for not getting an Elk. .. if indeed you use ISY/Insteon for your home automation.

io_guy

Is it possible to use DSCLink with Honeywell ?

At this point no. The interfaces and API that Honeywell uses are absolutely terrible.

However the Envisalink 3 supports Honeywell/Ademco. They are working on an API specific for their card. Once complete, I plan to add support to DSCLink.

Just saying, I think you will kick yourself later for not getting an Elk. .. if indeed you use ISY/Insteon for your home automation.

My ADT contract ran out a few months ago and I went through the decision of switching to Elk or sticking with DSC.

In the end, I stuck with DSC. Price wasn't the factor but it is quite a bit cheaper.

For me, DSC is the largest alarm player in the market and have a very stable system.

I like the Elk system but fundamentally I have an issue with having that much power in my alarm controller. This is a UL certified alarm instrument - in my opinion it's not the place to control lighting, garage doors, tempertures, write programs, etc. With all those features and constant firmware updates it's just a recipe to introduce bugs.

I like the fact that my alarm system is hard coded and geared to just do one thing - alarm.

That's why we have an ISY - to control automation.

And last, the new DSC touchsreen is a thing of beauty, Elk's screens are ugly duckings.

My ADT contract ran out a few months ago and I went through the decision of switching to Elk or sticking with DSC.

In the end, I stuck with DSC. Price wasn't the factor but it is quite a bit cheaper.

For me, DSC is the largest alarm player in the market and have a very stable system.

I like the Elk system but fundamentally I have an issue with having that much power in my alarm controller. This is a UL certified alarm instrument - in my opinion it's not the place to control lighting, garage doors, tempertures, write programs, etc. With all those features and constant firmware updates it's just a recipe to introduce bugs.

I like the fact that my alarm system is hard coded and geared to just do one thing - alarm.

That's why we have an ISY - to control automation.

And last, the new DSC touchsreen is a thing of beauty, Elk's screens are ugly duckings.

I agree, Elk's old keypads aren't the greatest looking, but the new screen that came out a few months ago is pretty sharp. But as these things are going, you can put any tablet up and run the touchpad software on the tablet and get any look you want. From a security point, Elk is UL listed and rock solid. The HA stuff in no way compromises the security. A few glitches with the play stuff like email exist, but not security. And from the point of mission critical controls, I only use Elk to control that because of the ~ zero failure rate. I would never control something that has anything to do with water or a motor using Insteon.

But the thing is, security and HA go hand in hand. Things like occupancy and door/window status are very much a part of both worlds. Also light control as part of the security system is a valuable tool in the event of fire or burglar alarm. For example, fire alarms light exit routes.

Archived