RFXCOM

ResIpsa

ResIpsa,

Very interesting products (a little on the expensive side) ... Possibility, yes absolutely! Plan, not at all since this is the first time I've even heard of this company. Do you happen to have a contact we can talk to?

With kind regards,

Michel

Any plans/possibility of integrating this RF receiver into a future ISY firmware? I have a Visonic Powermax+ security system, and this would be a great way to marry my preexisting wireless security zones with the capabilities of ISY.

http://www.rfxcom.com/

Thanks, Michel. I agree that their prices are a little steep. But I'm willing to pay a premium for quality (read: reliable) home automation. Besides, if I couple the RFXCOM with an Oregon Scientific remote temperature sensor, I can monitor the temperature of my outdoor hot tub all winter! I would consider it an insurance policy against the cost of repairing a burst pipe when my spa motor fails in January (as the old motor did last July).

I do not have a contact person at RFXCOM, so I just emailed their tech support and asked for a reference. I will PM you any information I receive.

ResIpsa,

Very interesting products (a little on the expensive side) ... Possibility, yes absolutely! Plan, not at all since this is the first time I've even heard of this company. Do you happen to have a contact we can talk to?

With kind regards,

Michel

Any plans/possibility of integrating this RF receiver into a future ISY firmware? I have a Visonic Powermax+ security system, and this would be a great way to marry my preexisting wireless security zones with the capabilities of ISY.

ResIpsa,

Thanks so very much; very much looking forward to it!

With kind regards,

Michel

Thanks, Michel. I agree that their prices are a little steep. But I'm willing to pay a premium for quality (read: reliable) home automation. Besides, if I couple the RFXCOM with an Oregon Scientific remote temperature sensor, I can monitor the temperature of my outdoor hot tub all winter! I would consider it an insurance policy against the cost of repairing a burst pipe when my spa motor fails in January (as the old motor did last July).

I do not have a contact person at RFXCOM, so I just emailed their tech support and asked for a reference. I will PM you any information I receive.

ResIpsa,

With kind regards,

Michel

Thanks, Quixote. I looked at the W800, but it appears to receive only X10 RF signals. The RFXCOM specifically receives Visonic and Oregon Scientific RF signals (those manufacturers's products transmit on frequencies different from those of X10 products).

I'm not sure how relevant this is, but a little point of interest; the W800RF also receives data from those sensors, and is a serial device.

(see http://www.wgldesigns.com/w800.html )

• 2 weeks later...

According to the manuals on the RFXCOM site the chip uses RS-232 signalling at TTL levels. Also it has a W800 compatibility mode. Therefore it should be possible to use a MAX233 chip to interface it with the serial port on the ISY and use W800 compatibility mode to allow both devices to work with one software change.

Alternatively if the cost is worth it, the ethernet enclosure would allow interfacing via the network port which is a seperate set of issues for the programmers.

Either way I like the idea.

Sean

Archived