NEST...?

homejones

There is now a robust app for the Vera that can both monitor and control Nest thermostats. I understand that Nest has not made available its API, but the web interaction between the device and the Nest website has been reverse engineered. Details of that protocol are available on the net.

-Is this something on the on the roadmap for UDI to implement?

-If not, would a developer have to step in to create an app that supports this through the ISY (I assume vis-a-vis the Network interface)?

It will be impossible for the ISY to read anything off the Nest webpage GUI. It has no ability to receive anything except for REST commands that are specically formatted for it. In other words, you would need something running on a PC or whatever that parses the GUI and then puts that into REST commands and posts values to ISY variables.

However, the ISY network module could probably be configured to set things via the Nest GUI.

Of course if the API were released and UD wanted to make a module, then it might be possible to have a direct interface.

• 10 months later...

Thanks Michel. I really hate this global trend of all these device makers moving to cloud based services, just so they either can lock you in or charge subscriptions (thankfully Nest has not started service subscriptions yet). That is the main reason I went with the ISY really. It is a shame there is no local connect to Nest and I do understand the security implications of the cloud based connections. I was really only hoping for one way control - to auto switch the nest to "away" when my ISY/ELK are set to my away mode.

Anyway keep up the great the work - I am really enjoying learning and building my new ISY based home system.

cheers

Hi swiftee,

Precisely! And, especially since there's not one day that goes by and we do not hear about a security breach and millions of compromised credentials.

With the advent of Personal Cloud systems, I am hoping that most of these will come back. Alas, it seems that currently at least even the personal cloud systems need an impersonal cloud in the clouds!

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel,

Please see my post in other current Nest thread. Personally, I think there is a "third path" possible here...

While I don't think you folks are doing it intentionally, by being unwilling to work with Nest I have to say you are effectively doing the same thing to Nest owners who love their ISYs that Nest is doing to people by requiring them to use their cloud server. That's not very "UDI-like", in my view.

I understand people who want only local control, and fully support their ability to have it. But I LIKE cloud-based systems. For me, the benefits far exceed the risks for my stat and many other aspects of my life. But this great little device I have - my ISY - CAN'T talk to this other great device I have, my Nest. And with an open API now available, the odd thing is that it's not Nest that's causing this...

After much consideration (I've thought about it for unrelated technologies I deal with professionally) I would also have elected a cloud approach for a business model, just as Nest did. Yes, there are some risks, but electing it does not mean the company has some nefarious plot in mind. It's just a question of tradeoffs, with good arguments for both choices.

Just as an idea, there might be some business opportunity here for UDI. You don't need to abandon the security-concerned, "local only" folks. But please don't abandon/ignore those of us who want the convenience and features of a Nest (or possibly other cloud services), either. This doesn't need to be a mutually exclusive thing.

Just a comment on the cloud model from somebody who has 3 Nest thermostats. I never have a need to control thermostats from outside my home but often need to control them from upstairs (the thermostats are all on the first floor.) I installed Nest for the good looks and ease of use. They were a nice alternative to cheap looking white plastic boxes and the iPad app made it easy to control them all from my bedroom upstairs.... until one night this fall when we still had all the windows open and it got a bit cooler than normal so the furnaces kicked on. I had just stepped out of the shower and was standing there dripping wet frantically trying to shut down the furnaces from my iPad only to discover that my Internet service was down. I had to get dressed and go visit each thermostat downstairs to manually shut them off. I never had to do that with my old serial thermostats and needless to say I will never NEVER again purchase a product that cannot operate in local mode when the Internet is unreachable.

Just a comment on the cloud model from somebody who has 3 Nest thermostats. I never have a need to control thermostats from outside my home but often need to control them from upstairs (the thermostats are all on the first floor.) I installed Nest for the good looks and ease of use. They were a nice alternative to cheap looking white plastic boxes and the iPad app made it easy to control them all from my bedroom upstairs.... until one night this fall when we still had all the windows open and it got a bit cooler than normal so the furnaces kicked on. I had just stepped out of the shower and was standing there dripping wet frantically trying to shut down the furnaces from my iPad only to discover that my Internet service was down. I had to get dressed and go visit each thermostat downstairs to manually shut them off. I never had to do that with my old serial thermostats and needless to say I will never NEVER again purchase a product that cannot operate in local mode when the Internet is unreachable.

Man you guys must have a tough dress code. We have these things called "sweat pants"...

• 3 weeks later...

Man you guys must have a tough dress code. We have these things called "sweat pants"...

If you would like, I can work with you to get integration into the ISY with my scripts in the how-to forum. PM me if you want help.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The NEST has never been HA friendly. I still can't understand why there is so much interest in controlling them with an ISY.

I'm sure your experience is something that most people haven't thought about.

Is the serial control wiring still available? 8)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived