Everything posted by io_guy
-
Control Stereo?
Depends on the stereo. I have a Yamaha that accepts web-based commands so my ISY controls it directly with the network module. I have a Denon that accepts an RS-232 connection so my ISY controls it with the network module through and Ethernet-serial converter. I have another Denon that has nothing so my ISY controls it with the network module sending commands to an iTach IP2IR. All work great.
-
Wireless thermometer to report temperature to ISY99??
FYI, I've added some logging functionality similar to this directly to OWLink in the next release. It logs the data right from 1-wire instead of from the ISY (so you get decimal values). jgorm, What you listed will work. Personally I don't use anything but the RPI2. The SWE is nice but somewhat bulky. With a little soldering you just attach a DS18B20 to the end of Cat5 and all is good. Or crimp a sensor directly into an RJ45 connector - I have them all over the house. I have RJ45 Levition Quickports in all my walls and run the sensors into them. Once my internet is back (phone right now) I'll post some picks of them. Bought a 10 pack of sensors off ebay for about $5.
-
Thermostat recommendations
Cloud services are definitely the way to go for their mass user interface and apps, no question. But their API is a custom developer API. This is not for the masses, it's for custom HA applications. HA should absolutely never have to leave its own subnet in order for 2 devices to talk. "My internet is down so my house doesn't work anymore" - fundamental flaw.
-
Thermostat recommendations
Is that right? One can't directly talk to it from one's own local network? Hmmm, big knock if that's the case. It unfortunately is the case. No idea what ecobee were thinking, there's a few people on their developer forum yelling about it but I highly doubt they'll change anything. Judging from their response they think what they've done is the correct implementation. I've worked in automation for 15 years - it's the absolute wrong way. In any case, I own one, I'll make it work.
-
Thermostat recommendations
I use the smart (not Si) and chose it because of the module interface and large feature set, similar to my Honeywell IAQ. Happy with the decision.
-
Thermostat recommendations
For those of us with ecobees - please see here. viewtopic.php?f=96&t=11956 Feature requests?
-
Thermostat recommendations
zigbee would only be required if UDI add true internal support for the ecobee. I'm using ecobee's ugly web api. It will involve a program running on a computer that will be the middle man between the api and the ISY.
-
Thermostat recommendations
I'll have a program to link the ecobee to an ISY available shortly. So you can consider my response "responsive" again.
-
Thermostat recommendations
ecobee. Many more features and capabilities than Nest.
-
Opinions on Insteon Thermostats
Looks like the IP API is going public next week: https://www.ecobee.com/home/developer/a ... ndex.shtml A couple points of concern: - The API connects to ecobee.com, not the thermostat directly - A user is limited to 85000 polls per month, which is ~ a query every 30s - not terribly adequate to gather real-time status info for home automation purposes I was really hoping for something more of an open socket that could be connected directly to get real-time changes from the thermostat. Much less overhead.
-
Opinions on Insteon Thermostats
To my knowledge there is no public IP API available. https://ecobee.zendesk.com/entries/20444728-Linux Please post a link if it exists.
-
Opinions on Insteon Thermostats
Michel, Are you referring to Ecobee Zigbee support? If so, do you have a timeframe? I'm debating picking up one of these thermostats but really can't go without being able to tie house temperatures into the ISY.
-
Release 4.0.4 RC1 Is Now Available
Works fine here if I use IP. Multiple logins here are only with "ISY"
-
Release 4.0.4 RC1 Is Now Available
Michel, same issue with https.
-
Release 4.0.4 RC1 Is Now Available
Sorry if this has already been discussed somewhere... Since upgrading to 4.X.X (and may be timed with various Windows Updates as well) I have to do multiple logins to the admin console. When I login everything looks ok but within a couple seconds the login pops back up again for re-entry. This will happen 1-3 times every time open a new browser admin console in IE. Anyone else seeing this? I don't see anything in the error log to help.
-
RS-232 to IP recommendations
The IP232 is a very nice serial server (pricey but nice). The iTach is good as well, never tried the Autelis. Once Eyez-On release the TPI for the Honeywell firmware, I'll be adding support for Honeywell alarms to DSCLink. http://www.eyezon.com/?page_id=176 http://www.automationshack.com/dsclink.html The network module will give you minimal functionality since you can only send commands to the alarm (not receive).
- Z Wave upgrade
-
Release 4.0.2 Beta Is Now Available
Agreed. I currently run a program that scrapes a couple weather sites to get rain data for Canada, which I send as variables to the ISY. Would love to be able to use the proper ISY internals. That goes for the ISY thermostat functionality as well. Would love to see a way to send my custom thermostat data into the ISY guts instead of sending it all via variables.
-
Raspberry Pi accepting IR commands and updating my isy994i
Yep, GCLink will be middle man. The GC-IRE is an infrared receiver which processes the IR commands and sends their data as ASCII packets over RS-232. GCLink will support RS-232 so it would be run on the same computer as the GC-IRE is plugged into, or as a TCP client which could run on any computer. I plan to run it this way and just connect my GC-IRE up into my multi-port serial server (and GC-Link would run on my Pi or Synology).
-
Raspberry Pi accepting IR commands and updating my isy994i
Pretty cool. I'm in the process of doing something similar because of issues I'm having with the ISY's built in IR. Going to be using a GC-IRE and a "GCLink" program to send variables to the ISY. IR learning will be GUI based. The nice thing about that unit is it does the full spectrum of IR frequencies, not just 38kHz. On the send side, with an IP2IR you can send commands directly from the network module, no need for a middle man.
-
Release 4.0.1 Beta Is Now Available
Anyone else having IR issues with this version? Since upgrading my system to 4.0.1 none of IR receives work anymore. The event viewer sees my remote button presses but it's never the code it should be seeing.
-
Global Cache IP2IR for stereo av control
Not storing codes is the exact reason I bought the IP2IR. It will send any IR code you send to it. I hate having a hundred "smart" devices in my home - I like having a single controller as the brain, not storing settings in multiple places. With an IP2IR I setup all my IR commands in the ISY's Network Resources and the IP2IR just receives/sends. Works like a charm.
-
Humidifiers for the house, which ones, how do you control?
I use a fan-powered Honeywell. It's very similar (same water system) to the bypass but uses a fan to recirculate the air on the furnace outlet side so no bypass ducting is required. You never have to bother with closing a duct because it doesn't exists, you just don't turn the unit on. http://yourhome.honeywell.com/home/Prod ... HE360A.htm I agree with Oberkc on keeping this away from HA. If you have a thermostat that supports humidifiers, use it. I have a Honeywell VisionPro IAQ which does, I set the desired humidty level on the thermostat and it does the rest. It also has a "frost" level setting and outdoor temperature sensor to handle johnnyt's concerns about mold/mildew.
-
Experience with a Nest Thermostat
I'd recommend the Raspberry Pi over the pogoplug. It's smaller, uses less electricity and can run off an SD card. I've used both with archlinux and the Pi is cleaner. Currently running all my link programs on a Pi. I've looked at Nest previously but have zero desire to do anything with it until a public API is available. "Hacking" into their web portal to talk to your home thermostat is just way too ugly. Personally I'd love to see some sort of "open API" added to the ISY, where specific ISY variables/functions can be read/written via REST, basically allowing us to interact with the internal ISY thermostat system instead of bit-banging over custom variables. I do the bit-banging right now with my Honeywell (Enviracom) but it's definitely not as clean as it could be.
-
Home Alarm...
My ADT contract ran out a few months ago and I went through the decision of switching to Elk or sticking with DSC. In the end, I stuck with DSC. Price wasn't the factor but it is quite a bit cheaper. For me, DSC is the largest alarm player in the market and have a very stable system. I like the Elk system but fundamentally I have an issue with having that much power in my alarm controller. This is a UL certified alarm instrument - in my opinion it's not the place to control lighting, garage doors, tempertures, write programs, etc. With all those features and constant firmware updates it's just a recipe to introduce bugs. I like the fact that my alarm system is hard coded and geared to just do one thing - alarm. That's why we have an ISY - to control automation. And last, the new DSC touchsreen is a thing of beauty, Elk's screens are ugly duckings.