Everything posted by larryllix
-
My First Program
It not just getting caught in the dark basement. Most people can feel their way to a light switch up steps or just yelling for somebody else.. The main problem is going down the stairs and it suddenly goes black. People's feet tend to freeze while your body motion continues forward, reaching for the handrail, and you can't see, blinding half your sense of balance, at the same time. I believe this warning is on every wired-in motion detector information enclosed with the device.
-
Block Heater - How can I make this program better?
Where's the induction coil in the garage floor? We all hate dragging extension cords to work behind our cars.
-
My First Program
There are many places that advise against putting automatic lighting in stairwells without other lighting. If the lights go out in the middle of a descent it could be disastrous for some.
-
Issue with notifications
Provider account combination. I had that same thing on my old provider and an older phone style. It may be your account setup with the provider.
-
How to read temperature log from Insteon thermostat linked to ISY449?
I have two 2441ZTH thermostats connected, each with a completely different firmware version. ISY994i has no listing for either of these devices in it's pulldown device listings. I assume it was never supported properly and working with 2441TH's device setup somehow. The older firmware t'stat unit can be set by ISY whereas the newer unit cannot. The mode settings function the same. My ISY with r4.2.5 can set the newer f/w unit's clock, now. Previous ISY f/w versions could not. ISY's Inc/Dec temp commend does not function with either 2441ZTH's despite being able to fully read and set the temp set-points on the older f/w 2441ZTH unit. There is no spot in ISY's device setup to read the remote probe temperature in either f/w version, even if the 2441ZT units did send an external probe's temperature.
-
Issue with notifications
Did it work in a previous version?
-
Block Heater - How can I make this program better?
I was thinking more that the turn off time was just a complication to be avoided, although I do have my own 3 am shut-everything_off program myself. Some temp zones could be used to save energy somewhat too. If time is 4 am and temp is below -20 Then run program 2 (if) Else - Program 2 (disabled) -------------- If temp is below -30 Then set heater on wait 4 hours turn heater off Else wait 2 hours set heater on wait 2 hours turn heater off
-
Block Heater - How can I make this program better?
Did you need a guaranteed 3 hours to defrost the thing? If your temp drops below -20C at 7:55 am you will only get 5 minutes of defrost cycle. Similarly if you had a deep cold cycle that warmed up at 4:05 am you would only get 5 minutes worth. That maybe OK depending how fast the engine block warms up to weather changes. Perhaps a single time based decision that initiates a 3 hour cycle without any cycle cancelling logic?
-
UD developed PLM
That all makes sense. I had to laugh that there is actually a "Bad caps forum". I dealt with some watt transducers that, at after 15 years of service, the PS caps went. Strange then seven other same vintage units blew within a month of the first one. Thanks!
-
UD developed PLM
Too bad you didn't consider the replacement as a spare. I take it you consider it a "fix" then? Do you feel all caps replaced were necessary or was it more like, "While I am here..."? I get the impression the two smaller caps had no indications that you could logic out? Thanks! Thanks!
-
UD developed PLM
@Brian Slightly off topic but I never saw any results of your fix for your PLM. IIRC you replaced the PS cap in your PLM???
-
Will an XPCP Coupler suffice in an Insteon Installation
Thanks! With only the occasional comm failure I haven't needed to spend the time to understand all the cryptic hexadecanimals yet. Mosty I only see Don and val d'offing and hopping with each other and having INST-SRX , so far.
-
Will an XPCP Coupler suffice in an Insteon Installation
I wired one connected between my PLM receptacle and with lees than three feet of wire from the distribution box. It seems to work well to pass the X10 signals from phase to phase but with the Insteon signals....? I have enough dual-band signal repeating units to never know if it does anything. Since the signals are close enough in frequency the thought is it will work well with Insteon, also. With about 20 units and an PV co-generating inverter on one phase making electrical noise when the sun shines I get the odd device comm failure less than one per month. Some of my X10 units will not work at the 100' feet of cable end of the house but the Insteon always works everywhere.
-
RemoteLinc2: Overriding dimming
Whatcha' drinkin' on a Saturday night? You did!
-
RemoteLinc2: Overriding dimming
@LeeG Sorry for the bit of a sidetrack but... What is the difference between Dim/Brighten vs Fade Down/Fade Up. I have only used them a few times and just tweak usage until they function as desired, so far.
-
Energy Monitoring - Tracking Run Time
Sounds like more Java problems. This happens to me if I let the Admin Console fall into background processing or go to sleep mode. Perhaps doing a Java cache clear may help this somewhat. It seems until Java gets scrapped this isn't going to go away. I just downgraded back to Java 7 u67 from Java 8 to see if that helps some of the forgetfulness of ISY. Too early to tell yet.
-
Some devices no longer responding to ISY
Is this lack of operation consistent? Does it vary with time of day? Is it always the same units that do not work? Have you checked your link tables in the ISY against the links installed in the devices? Perhaps ISY has forgotten links to the devices.
-
1 Wire Temperature - Hooking up to multiple devices
Now you got me thinking! A 9v (NiMH?) battery with a trickle charger running the CAI board could make a good UPS backed system. or even a dioded-in 9v alkaline battery for grid failure carry over? OTOH: When the grid is out not much else is functioning.
-
1 Wire Temperature - Hooking up to multiple devices
The energy still has to come from somewhere and the device linked to doesn't store or produce power. Again if you are considering running the CAI off a 9v battery it should last about an hour. We haven't touched the Peukert factor. The main SWE3 sensor chip is the DS2438z chip rated at 50-100uA but even a 10K pullup is going to draw 0.9mA not to mention the HIH-40xx humidity sensor. With a 2mA draw you could expect about 250 hours= 10 days out of a 9v battery rated at 500mAh .http://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/DS2438.pdf
-
Range of dual band devices
Are you saying Insteon transmits more or less power than Z-wave? Without any personal experience, I thought I have read comments indicating Z-Wave has a shorter distance capability.
-
1 Wire Temperature - Hooking up to multiple devices
That units looks good if you wanted to have 12v battery backup. My CAI board puts out 5vdc on the 1wire terminals. Make sure you get hardware 2.2.2 (current) and v2.03.17 or newer. The firmware is updatable without returning the board. Shipping costs are the prohibitive factor in this game.
-
1 Wire Temperature - Hooking up to multiple devices
The CAI board has three terminals for 1wire, 5V, data,and common. These feed the CAI board and any other 1wire devices on that 3wire bus. The CAI board has a recommended 9v power supply to a 7805 regulator. I am told I can just wire into the interface (1wire or humidity sensor terminal) with a 5v power supply like a getting to be standard microUSB / USB power supply. I haven't tried this and to be in parallel with a regulator chip output, I am not too sure about. At 9v the regulator runs hot but tolerable. I recommend gluing a heat sink onto it, especially if over 9v. I run 9-10v and it's hot without the sink. 7.5 may have worked better but harder to get and if the whole thing gets scrapped the 9v adapter works for the Insteon MSs. The SWE3 contains two chips, ie. humidity sensor (optional in purchase) and battery monitor chip. I think the spec says these chips will operate at very low voltages. Not sure about 3v without researching chip specs. BTW: this battery monitor contains a temp. sensor (0.1c resolution), voltage A/D for the humidity chip or other input via terminals provided, and a current accumulator A/D input that is designed for keeping track of current charging and draining in a battery. Thus the battery monitor name. The CAI board is well suited to these small jobs as a peripheral to the ISY. I have some reboot problems with mine so far but the CAI_support is working on it and has done some mods in the firmware. I may have a noisy PS but I have been too lazy to get the scope out, so far, and expecting a better switching wallwart replacement soon. The main reason I went CAI is the 2MHz counter in hardware on the board, that works excellent for my anemometer, and 1wire I/f.
-
1 Wire Temperature - Hooking up to multiple devices
The CAI board came with a case and with shipping came to about $70 http://www.ebay.com/itm/WebControl-timer-temperature-humidity-I-O-controller-HW-2-2-2-/260849255154?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbbd3c2f2 I ordered the SWE3 and the RPi 1wire adapter, just in case I switch to the Rpi later. With shipping and all that came to about $105. Note: There is no duty charged coming into Canada, under $200 they will not even bother to stop packages. Don't fall for the latest eBay, "Worldwide Shipping" money grab scam.
-
1 Wire Temperature - Hooking up to multiple devices
The SWE3 module is based on the DS2438z which will give you temperature as well as humidity. This was an unexpected bonus for me and eliminated some extra wiring connections at the top on my weather pole.
-
Admin Console Problem
In the Windows o/s classically if you closed the window via the formal "file | close/quit" menu method the window size was remembered as it was when closed. If you click the "X" the settings are forgotten.