Everything posted by larryllix
-
Cheap thermometer
Meanwhile I am sitting on a small SCADA system RTU with 32 x 20A, 250vac latching O/Ps, 64 12bit bipolar analogue I/Ps, 64 dry contact status I/P and no ambition to write the polling routines to support the serial protocol needed after seeing things like this (CAI) that are close to Plug'n Play with only a limited amount of stress/excitement. This thing was used to control a private 1/2MW NG co-gen on our grid, when it was the rage era. But.. where's my application for it? I should put it up on some industrial used equipment site and sink the profits into all these little fun boards and gadgets. I can see the wig and blinking eyes on my snowblower already! Wait! How many extra bedrooms you got?
-
powering wireless Insteon thermostat
ooops... Sorry. I guess I only looked at the other two and assumed two total.
-
Cheap thermometer
Nice! I think my wallet and my live-in monitor needs a rest for a bit though. I am still populating my great room with some dimmer wall switches, yet. **sigh** Let me think... Landscape the side yard this year? or CAI? hmmmmmm... I'm sweating now. BACK to reality! Time to get out and blow the snow out of the driveway. Snow banks are almost 8 feet high at front. No typo and it's not letting up this year! Thanks for the tease though!
-
powering wireless Insteon thermostat
I ran into this one that could do your job. Heat produced and size may be a consideration though. http://www.ebay.com/itm/24vac-24vdc-to-5vdc-converter-power/251362283053?_trksid=p2046732.m2060&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20000%26meid%3D4487592531891961588%26pid%3D100040%26prg%3D8920%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D131102781584%26
-
Cannot access ISY
If you run Win 7 (likely Win 8 also) and your static IP assignment failed for some reason, you can run the "Network" app and it should show up so you can determine the IP address.
-
Cheap thermometer
Awesome little board! Is there any prefabricated cases or power supplies for them?
-
powering wireless Insteon thermostat
USB wallwarts are usually much cheaper, easily available, and most are switching PSs now. They put out 5vdc and typically capable of 0.5A up to 2.0A. One comes with every cell phone, iPad etc. I think I have 30 of them here now.
-
Program that uses iolinc and temperature sensor
The whole thing sounds dangerous to me. No matter how much insulation you use on pipes there is usually a scenario where the pipes may still freeze if you do not keep water flowing through them. There are pipe heating straps made for this but then you need some power in the attic too.
-
Cheap thermometer
Those types usually say that. The Kitchen and Bath caulk silicones typically contain a fungicide to prevent mold. I silicone grease my probe to the side of my PV batteries and cover it with a bit of urethane foam to keep it mostly "thermally in contact" and influenced by the liquid inside.
-
Garage Door Setup- How to turn on/off Keypadlinc light?
Thanks LeeG. Further, I understand that Scenes in the ISY can control these LEDs. Is this due to an lacking feature in the ISY capability growth or something that cannot ever be resolved with the way the KPLs work, or is my understanding not correct?
-
Garage Door Setup- How to turn on/off Keypadlinc light?
Not having one of these devices yet, I am wondering what the problem with controlling the KPL LEDs in ISY is. If I read your comment correctly, scenes can control the KPL LEDs but not direct ISY programme control? Can you elaborate on why this would be, please? BTW:I don't use scenes yet but they are my agenda to explore. With no human controllers yet, they may not be of much value. Thanks.
-
Cheap thermometer
I do not have one but the Insteon 2441ZTH sends temperature information. I believe a remote wired probe is available for it also. Runs on batteries or optional wallwart. Note: The "Z" in the model number. http://www.aartech.ca/search/search_query/2441ZTH in Canada http://www.smarthome.com/2441ZTH/INSTEON-Wireless-Thermostat/p.aspx
-
ISY vs. Insteon Hub
IMHO the Hub is not Home Automation. It is Home remote and local control. It will do timers and scenes (grouping devices to be synchronised). The Hub can be controlled by various PC software to do conditional logic but more cost and a PC left on 24/7. The ISY consumes 2-3 Watts and is tiny. Mine sits on top of a surface mount electrical outlet box where it is plugged in. The ISY can do conditional logic like. If it is 6:00 PM and Wed, Fri, or Sat AND House_is_occupied Then Set Furnace_Fan On Wait 20 minutes Set Furnace_Fan Off If you like to challenge yourself with logic and programming the ISY is the one to get. You will also need to get a PLM 2413S to make the ISY talk to Insteon devices, another $80. Remote control via your smart phone can be done with it also.
-
Leak Sensors - A (Suggested) Complete Program Package
From what I have read in this forum (mine is still in the package), others are having the same problem. The sensors need dirtier water to trigger them as pure water is an insulator. The sensor should work fine placed on concrete or with a dirty water leak. Try some salt or baking soda in your test water.
-
Insteon Motion Sensor Dusk/dawn Node
I use nine X10 MSs and one Insteon MS. I use counting programmes when each unit reports a change to Dark or Not Dark. This allows me to use the value to access how dark the house is. eg. on cloudy days etc. Some units report 'Not Dark' with a small amount of sky light (cloudy or overcast) and some take full sunlight in the sky. The increment and decrement programmes need to have a minimum value of 0 and a maximum value of about three less units than are working. This allows for dead units, missed reports, and units that are never exposed to sunlight in the room. Those could also be cut out of the accumulation process. The end values saturate at times and keep the values in check, mostly when it is completely dark the value is always 0. I am not using this scheme with my ISY, as yet, but it did work quite well on an older X10 system to gauge how much water to put on a newly seeded lawn. On cloudy or rainy days the sprinklers got 1 min shots maybe twice per day. On bright sunny days the sprinklers got 3 min shots of water almost every hour. The seed grew amazingly fast that a neighbour even came over and commented about it.
-
Thermostat programming w/ Weather Module question
I don't have an ISY connected stat yet so there may be issues I don't understand but.. I would think you could have a main temperature set and an offset temperature (+/- 2deg etc.) A programme, as suggested above could change your offset when an outside threshold is crossed (above and below 15 degrees). Resultant temperatures would always be written or used as base + offset. Use state variables for offset so that changes would invoke a programme to reprogram the stat with the new temperature set independently of your main logic, simplifying that software.
-
ISY 994 and HUB / or PLM and v220
Again too bad. If UDI put an interface to the Insteon Hub it could be their entrance into the European market and that serial port could disappear as it is all done over Etherrnet and would open many more way to access home control.
-
Leak Sensors - A (Suggested) Complete Program Package
$sLeakLaundryRoom must be a "State" variable to cause a trigger and the programme must have the enable checkbox checked
-
Notification issues.
Careful of your parenthesis placement. The 7:01 and 9:31 times are the only ones getting ANDed with the WH_Status. You should get notifications at all other times listed. Boolean AND takes higher precedent of order over an OR usually.
-
ISY 994 and HUB / or PLM and v220
Unfortunate ISY's future in Europe is dependant on a device manufactured by a company that probably doesn't want the ISY to exist at all.
-
Setting Up ISY
Try this one http://isy/admin.jnlp It installed the nice direct, via Java icon on my desktop so I don't have to go through the browser load each time. This is the way the old one worked. Works much better.
-
Unwanted link between two switches
Thanks! I got the reciprocal links our of the two modules. I am not sure what the side effect from it was or how it got there, but as a newbie trying to understand what a link is, the extra links were very confusing. An ON/OFF module I have only shows one link and that would seem to indicate the RF didn't link, even in the same room. The LampLinc was a problem to factory reset. That flow chart was very confusing. Right side up helped. It would be real nice if Insteon supplied real information with their modules instead of a sheet with "Plug in! Look! It turns on and off! They're wonderful!"
-
A new 2441TH issue
Excellent news! Here's hoping!
-
Unwanted link between two switches
I wouldn't have thought X10 addresses would show up in the links table. This is the only possibility I can think of for my modules. They may have been linked to a same X10 address at some point in experimentation time. I have never created or used a scene with Insteon/X10 and they (two modules linked) have never been in the same room physically or software wise. In my case they don't interoperate, though.
-
sunrise program question
I got thinking and doubting myself on this one. I began to wonder if I forgot to enable the programme when I ran the tests so I re-ran the test ensuring that the enable was on. It functioned the same with NO triggers of Then or Else occurring, and the programme remained False the whole time, when the From/To times were crossed.