Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Universal Devices Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

aLf

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by aLf

  1. Did I miss the original post on this? Sounds like a great option! How do I get the software and do you have instructions on using it. Sorry for the post-event posting. Regards, aLf
  2. I to have never had reliable (within 2 minutes) of the correct time. I have a Siemens router that is set to "Client Update" and it still is almost always a couple minutes off (Siemens Router is right on. Not a big deal, but aLf's neighbors expect anal in everything I do, therefore they set their clocks to my lights going on at sunset. If I think of it, and tonight this forum made me check. I re-set ISY to my watch, which gets set on the hour every morning with WGN. Maybe there is something still missing here, but I'd say mine doesn't respond as you say Michel. Again, certainly no biggy...
  3. Rob: My Insteon setup feels your pain. I have a couple insurance policy's that work for me. First of all, as Darrell said, set the program to run at reboot. The program I use is a function of a scene I call AWAY. Inthat scene I have three units, 1) KPL (a) Button ©, 2) KPL ( Button © and and Appliancelink. The three are in the scene and I turn them "ON" when I'm home, "OFF" when away. I have them in a simple program that looks to see if that AWAY scene is eith on or off. (If KPL(a) is OFF, or KPL( is OFF, or Appliancelinc is OFF, Then run AWAY SCENE). ISY then either then runs the program or not. The program that it runs is essentially every 15 minutes every switch in the house turns OFF. In addition I have other programs that I use when I'm home only and they look at the AWAY scene for validity of my presence. It has worked flawless through many a power outage. As a subnote, SH will tell you that Appliancelinc wills return to last state, however I've seen it do otherwise. They seem to always come up OFF. It also seems to make sense that OFF is an AWAY thing. I have never seen a KPL change after power up. That is why I use OFF. I hope this works for you, it makes me sleep much better. aLf
  4. aLf replied to andrew77's topic in ISY994
    Hi Drew! I too use ISY for the same as you do, probably works harder when I'm not home than when I'm here. I had problems getting ISY to "reliably" respond to just a KPL button. I bought and installed an ApplianceLinc that I then linked to that KPL button. Then I programmed ISY to look for the KPL or APL as off. Since then my AWAY program has never failed. Seems APL's will always stay at their last mode, where KPL sometimes change mode if there is a power outage. Anyway, an APL is a cheap insurance policy. aLf
  5. aLf replied to jwagner010's topic in ISY994
    Not sure if"updating" will clear the cache. Try clearing it and see what happens. aLf
  6. aLf replied to aLf's topic in ISY994
    Indy & Chris: Thanks! First I have not upgraded yet for other reasons. I will eventually. Just under my AWAY circumstances, I can't afford a bug--yet. When I can upgrade, I will. I now understand your reasoning on the folders, thank you. I will change it over now and hope that it works better. Regards, aLf
  7. aLf posted a topic in ISY994
    Hi Michel: Decded to do some housekeeping and changed my original programs to folders (1) Home, (2) Away. Get the baics of it OK, but they wouldn't run right. In a nutshell what I did was; Made a folder AWAY, Made the criteria for the folder as "when KPL A is OFF, run programs within. Here is the new folder: ************* Folder Conditions for 'AWAY' Add conditions to limit when programs in this folder are allowed to run. If ( Status 'GAR KPL H' is Off Or Status 'MBR KPL H' is Off Or Status 'Occupied On/OFF APL' is Off ) Then Allow the programs in this folder to run. ************************ And finally, I placed this program in the folder to run: If nothing Then Repeat Every 15 minutes Set Scene 'All OFF' Off Else - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action') ******************** They would not run properly... Here is the original program as it has run for a year: **************************** If ( Status 'GAR KPL H' is Off Or Status 'MBR KPL H' is Off Or Status 'Occupied On/OFF APL' is Off ) Then Repeat Every 15 minutes Set Scene 'All OFF' Off Else - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action') *********************** Is it possible my old version is to blame? or do I have parenthasis out of whack. I just want to re-do ISY so I have a better HOME/AWAY housekeeping. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong? Thanks, aLf
  8. aLf posted a topic in ISY994
    Hi Michel: Quick, still unanswered problem. I have instances when I find my Siemens DSL modem/router is "off line". My wireless computer will see it and have an excellent signal, but there is no talking between them. When I look at the router, the "WLAN" light is off. During this time, none of my peripheral items, i.e., ISY, cameras can be veiwed internally. I then have to re-boot the router which always brings the "WLAN" back on. I can then veiw the cameras, but not until I re-boot ISY will it be visable! I'm not sure if the peripheral's would be visable outside (on the internet) as I am always on site when this happens. My area just recieved fibre optic very high speed cable. They will install to homes this fall. I look forward to that, especially for the cameras. I think that it will be much more reliable than this setup has been. I'm guessing that my above problem has some sort of IP address change thing happening? Until I get the new hookup, I need help. Any ideas?
  9. mattford: Just set them as toggle. I'd write the program as follows; PROGRAM 1 IF: KPL 1 is on THEN: (Run program A) PROGRAM 2 IF: KPL1 is off THEN: (turn off program A) aLf
  10. mattford: I'd link all the KPL buttons together as "Controllers" of each other, then I'd tell a program in ISY that if any of those buttons is ON to trigger whatever lights you want on, OFF the opposite. There are a million ways to skin the cat, my cat works good that way. aLf aLf, cats ?
  11. d_l & brobin: Thanks, aLf
  12. aLf posted a topic in ISY994
    Hi all. Does anyone know if a very small fireplace fan could be run variably by an Insteon SWL Relay Switch? I don't know the amperage, but it has to be low. It is simple 120v A/C. You only run this thing to move a small amount of air around the (Heatalator) and into the room. Right now I have it on a Leviton timer. I don't need variable speed, just the option to set it for variable times. Thanks, aLf
  13. Sorry, not really ISY related. Does anyone know how to get and use an "NTP" time server for a webcam. My Pansonics have the option to have their time updated by NTP, but I can't find any info on it. Thanks, aLf
  14. aLf posted a topic in ISY994
    In making a final home for ISY, I need to make a long patch cable for ISY from the modem. I use Leviton modular outlets. They can be wired 568 A or B. What do you use for your protocol? If you just let me know the colors of the "8" wires from 1-8, I'd appreciate it. Thanks. aLf
  15. aLf replied to aLf's topic in ISY994
    Darrell: And I'm asuming it will also turn the program from true to false? aLf
  16. aLf replied to aLf's topic in ISY994
    Darrell: Yes that is almost all correct. The Scene 1 as you describe is monitored by a "program" and not another scene. That program either is false or true. That then runs a "then" call. With the KPL's and APL off, nothing runs, If they are on, the program runs. I'd like to be able to turn the scene on or off and in turn the program true to false by internet. The real crux here is that I'm not 100% sure that a KPL secondary can be turned on/off vis internet or ISY for that matter. If it were a SW, I can see it working OK. I'll await your answer aLf
  17. aLf posted a topic in ISY994
    Is it possible to remotely (ISY over the net) turn a scene on/off? Here is my scenario... KPL #1 Button D KPL #2 Button D APL #1 Are all linked together, i.e., the two KPL's control the APL (either on or off). That in turn tells ISY to run or not run a scene. Works great. I was looking to be able to remotely turn the KPL's off (including LED) which in turn would turn off the APL remotely. Possible, not? Thanks, aLF
  18. How do you have the "fans" run from seperate locationswith Insteon? Give an overveiw of the way these switchs are set-up please. aLf
  19. Mike: Thanks. So does the secondary buttons always go to off after a power cycle? Or do they resume last task they were asked (that rhymes)? If they go to off, that's good as it will help insure the OFF call and therefore make ISY run the AWAY program. Appreciate your help. aLf
  20. Mike: Thanks. My question though is; Why does the GUI show status after the button is pushed and not before? Also after my original post, I thought about the program above. I don't really know the real status of the MBR button that was ON. Because the program is written GAR (OR) MBR (OR) APL... In this case MBR may have been ON and GAR and of course for sure I know APL is OFF as it is querry-able. Any ideas for more control (security) during my always power outages. I appreciate the expertise. aLf
  21. Hi All: I have the following program, If Status 'GAR KPL H' is Off Or Status 'MBR KPL H' is Off Or Status 'Occupied On/OFF APL' is Off Then Repeat Every 15 minutes Set Scene 'All OFF' Off Else - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action') We had our usual power outage this past week. No problem, ISY did it's job. BUT, I came into the house and 'MBR KPL H' was lit up(ON), and was really OFF. I tried to look locally and remotely to see what the "status" of the KPL button was. ISY would not show or Query the status. I (assume) it was OFF as the program ran fine. Is there any way of knowing for certain where the button was? I know that this is secondary button, but the whole thing seems strange to me??? The only way for me to "restet" the status in ISY was to physically press the button when I got to the location. Thanks, aLf PS. There is still snow and ice in Melmac!
  22. greensha: Don't be too quick to switch that far backwards. PLease post indetail what your scene does and what you want to accomplish. Your needs sound very basic and should be easy to remedy. aLf
  23. Michel: Back me up on this one. I don't think you can send a "dim" or "fade" command to a scene and have multiple lights respond. Can you not just set the scene "on" or "off". I'm guessing thatis what greensha is trying to do here! Again, please interject as I'm not a master by any means... aLf
  24. Illusion: I'm just a dummy here myself. I do know more now than when I started. The help starts at Michel and trickles down through, what I call "Insteon Brains". Some, most of the folks on this site are brilliant with this stuff. I've learned what helped my setup. These guys live and breath this stuff and continually make me want to reinvent my system with their ideas and uses. ISY is an unbelievably well thought out piece of equipment. I think that the expansion possibilities are endless. I'm amazed with every update as to how the price of this thing covers the R&D. My hat is always off to UD staff, owners and the users of ISY. I've posted before that up until my purchase here, the Maglight was the finest US made item. UD has moved the bar up really high in my estimation. As far as the posting ideas. There are several useful threads for your ideas. As far as IM goes, I think that e-mail is a better way to reach their staff. I've always had good luck with that. Enjoy ISY, I do. I enjoy the piece of mind it gives me even more. I no longer worry about my HA after buying ISY. It works. Period. Nothing more to say. aLf
  25. My guess is that by the time you read this, Michel will have posted to you. I have not seen any posts go unanswered in more than a few hours. Hang tight, the man will be around soon. You'll find the service from this company is un-seen anywhere. ALf

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.