Trigger to turn something off via timer?

brucesprague

Is there anyway to create a trigger or something to turn a device off after a set time? For example, I would like to turn my bathroom lights OFF after 60 minutes (SwitchLinc dimmer) AFTER someone turns the lights ON.

thanks, Bruce

Hi Bruce,

You have finally caught up to what everyone else has been requesting: scheduling triggers and triggering schedules. Unfortunately, it has taken us a lot longer than expected to "redesign" and implement this feature. But, rest assured that it will be in our next "major" release.

With regards,

Is there anyway to create a trigger or something to turn a device off after a set time? For example, I would like to turn my bathroom lights OFF after 60 minutes (SwitchLinc dimmer) AFTER someone turns the lights ON.

thanks, Bruce

Michel,

I have been trying to come up with a way to do this in the mean time, because I would like to test if a device is on or off at a particular time. Do you think the following could be a temporary work around?

I dedicate an unused Lamplinc to serve a my variable storage. If it is on, I am in the valid test period, and if it is off, then I am outside the test period. I then use two schedules to control the range of the test period. For example, schedule 1 turns the LL on at 8:00am and schedule 2 turns the LL off at 8:10am.

I can then create a trigger to test if a device is on during a specified time frame by using the conditions:

If device is on

and

LL is on

Last night I set up something like this to trigger an email notification and it seemed to work. I did add a trigger to query the device a few minutes before, just to make sure the status was updated.

I am going to test the false condition next. I just wanted to pass this by you, to see if this made sense and ask whether you had any other suggestions. Also, what do you think of the use of the LL as a crude way of implementing a true/false variable?

Thanks,

George

GPG,

Wow, this is a brilliant work-around for ISY's current limitations.

Wow again!

Thanks so very much for your feedback,

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel,

I have been trying to come up with a way to do this in the mean time, because I would like to test if a device is on or off at a particular time. Do you think the following could be a temporary work around?

I dedicate an unused Lamplinc to serve a my variable storage. If it is on, I am in the valid test period, and if it is off, then I am outside the test period. I then use two schedules to control the range of the test period. For example, schedule 1 turns the LL on at 8:00am and schedule 2 turns the LL off at 8:10am.

I can then create a trigger to test if a device is on during a specified time frame by using the conditions:

If device is on

and

LL is on

Last night I set up something like this to trigger an email notification and it seemed to work. I did add a trigger to query the device a few minutes before, just to make sure the status was updated.

I am going to test the false condition next. I just wanted to pass this by you, to see if this made sense and ask whether you had any other suggestions. Also, what do you think of the use of the LL as a crude way of implementing a true/false variable?

Thanks,

George

C Martin,

Very interesting idea ... I think - I am not sure yet - our new trigger functionality would eliminate the need for virtual triggers (variables) especially for sequences and timed events. I will let you know if otherwise.

Thanks so very much for the idea/feedback,

With regards,

Michel

Mark,

I'm not sure... I remember having virtual X10 devices in Homeseer and using them.

It might be the same as just using a timer or scheduled event.

How about time delays between devices in the Scenes?

Archived