Release 4.0.2 Beta Is Now Available

i814u2-

I can confirm this behavior on my macs running 10.8.2 & 10.8.3. Very annoying and totally unrelated to the ISY & UDI. Clicking away and back shows the folder contents almost immediately. Best I can figure so far is a spotlight issue.

-Xathros

Interesting that someone else as it as well. I also assume that it is not directly related to ISY or UDI, but I bring it up in case there's something that they can do. My assumption is that it is Java-related. Other programs on my laptop have no issues at all performing similar tasks.

Also, for those having this issue: I found that sometimes I can click to another folder at the same level, and then back to the one I want and that will show the contents. Other times I have to click up a level, on another folder, then back to the parent folder of what I want, and then finally to the folder that I want. basically, just click around a bunch if needed ;)

Sometimes it populates the shortcuts on the left (user's home folder, documents folder, photos, etc, etc) but sometimes it doesn't, which makes things a bit more tricky.

I'll do some searching to see if other Java programs have similar issues and I'll report back if I find anything that may be useful.

I also see this with Dropbox, Google drive, Evernote, MS Word etc. I don't believe it is Java related, I do believe this is a Mountain Lion Bug/Feature but have no solid proof either way.

-Xathros

I also see this with Dropbox, Google drive, Evernote, MS Word etc. I don't believe it is Java related, I do believe this is a Mountain Lion Bug/Feature but have no solid proof either way.

-Xathros

I'll try some of those out, as well as some other Java programs for further testing. But I know I've used 3rd party software (as recent as last night) without issues. I backed up my settings, installed new version, etc.

EDIT: I checked dropbox (both the website, attempting to upload a file to display the file dialog and editing the preferences of which folder to sync into) and microsoft word (open file dialog). Both of those applications worked just fine. I loaded the admin.jnlp and the first thing I noticed was that the color scheme was reset. I had just rebooted my computer for an update to another software. The admin screen was maximized again and the default blue. I'll wait until the next release to see if that's just another bit related to the color bug. But the maximized window made me think some other setting was lost.

Anyway, it still fails to load folder contents until I choose another folder and then back to the one I want. See attached screenshots of the dialog.

Also, I bring this up because the admin.jnlp is the only item I see with this behavior (dashboard.jnlp does it as well. essentially I mean the code for either). It is odd that someone else is experiencing the same thing but in other programs as well. I wish I had more info, I just wanted to post this quick update to show what I was talking about and add just a bit more detail of what I tested.

post-3529-140474158708_thumb.png

post-3529-140474158711_thumb.png

post-3529-140474158715_thumb.png

Hello i814u2,

Can you please go to Java Preferences (System Preferences | Java) and under Advanced, check:

Debugging:

-Enable tracing

-Enable logging

-Enable

Java console

-Show console

Go back to admin.jnlp and let me know what you see in the Java console.

With kind regards,

Michel

Attached is a copy of the contents of the console. Nothing appears (to me) to happen when I click on the "Backup ISY" option under the File menu. I opened and closed that dialog twice to be sure. Everything in the console was there by the time I was able to use the File menu.

Did I miss some sort of debug reporting level option? Or does this just show that nothing "bad" is happening via Java?

Java Web Start 10.17.2.02.txt

i814u2-

Your screenshots and descriptions match right up with what I have seen on three of my systems. It does seem to be more predictable with the admin console than with other apps but I have still seen this in other places. It is quite possible that the admin console was running and minimized when I saw this elsewhere. I will try to do some further testing.

-Xathros

I have the same problem on my iMac, I found if you change the display format it fixes it so you can go into another folder but then reverts to getting stuck. Change the display format again and so on until you get to where you want to be.

I have the same problem on my iMac, I found if you change the display format it fixes it so you can go into another folder but then reverts to getting stuck. Change the display format again and so on until you get to where you want to be.

I tried that as well but it only helped sometimes, it didn't appear to help every time. Either way, quite odd.

Also, hard to do searches for more information. Since Apple started hiding the Library folder in Lion, a lot of my search variations are turning up articles about that "issue" and how to solve it.

I'll keep trying.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. I just found this when I went back to searching:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1266176

It sounds similar and it adds some interesting bits of information. Their issue is with a native, Apple-made software. That seems to remove pointers to possible Java issues.

However, it mentions something about a custom open/save dialog. I'm not sure how they know this, as I don't have Logic Pro, but if it's something to do with custom (or just alternative) open/save dialogs, then maybe that's the cause here as well. My Java programming knowledge is definitely basic, so I can't say what options exist for those dialog boxes. However, is there are an alternative that can be tried out?

Also, if it's nothing related to a custom/alternative dialog then I'll drop this and hope it magically goes away. For now I'll keep searching and hoping to find a solution.

Alright. Well it obviously isn't related just to this beta so I'll open a new thread if I can make any progress in my search.

Obviously you may feel free to move all of these related posts to a new thread if that makes more sense. I apologize for cluttering this beta post.

Weatherbug Data

Prior to upgrading to 4.0.2, I was able to receive the weather data from my personal weather station by entering my personal weather station ID instead of selecting one of the listed stations. I really like getting my personal information to control my system. Bug or intended change?

Michel, By chance I upgraded at the same time the personal backyard community went down... Thanks for your work on the ISY.

Having a similar problem the past few days. Opened a ticket with WeatherBug and just received the following response:

"We're having another outage on Backyard Stations. Our teams are working on them as we speak"

Perhaps a good time to again request native ISY support for Davis Weather stations. Sure would be nice to read that data directly from the LAN, rather than having to depend on WB.

Yes I was wondering why my irrigation never activated this morning after a hot day yesterday. Noticed weatherbug backyard stations are down again. Michael I sure hope you guys integret davis weather stations into the ISY soon :-)

Me too!!!! I would love that!

Yes I was wondering why my irrigation never activated this morning after a hot day yesterday. Noticed weatherbug backyard stations are down again. Michael I sure hope you guys integret davis weather stations into the ISY soon :-)

I'd love to see this as well since I own several davis stations. However, I think integrating with Weather Underground would be even better as that would eliminate the need to integrate with different weather stations directly.