Web Server

garybixler

Hi all

I was wondering if there is something out there like a program that can be used to create useful web pages for the ISY as I don't have a clue beyond coping a photo into the web server to be displayed on access. Also any detailed instructions or video would be helpful.

Thanks so much for any assistance.

Gary

Hi all

I was wondering if there is something out there like a program that can be used to create useful web pages for the ISY as I don't have a clue beyond coping a photo into the web server to be displayed on access. Also any detailed instructions or video would be helpful.

Thanks so much for any assistance.

Gary

Not sure exactly what you are asking for here. There are many programs available for building web pages. None specific for the ISY. The ISY with the network Module installed can function as a basic web server. All you need to do is build your html files and upload them to the web server. What tool you use to build the pages does not matter as long as the files meet the 8.3 naming convention and don't rely on any services not offered by the ISY's server.

A Google search for "HTML Editor" or "Web Authoring Tools" will net lots of results.

-Xathros

Thanks -Xathros

I think that is what I am looking for. I would like to create web pages with links etc. and then load them into the ISY server. I see several free editors that I may give a try. Not sure what the 8.3 naming convention is or what services are offered by the ISY's server.

Thanks for the direction.

Gary

Gary-

8.3 means that your HTML file names cannot exceed 8 characters with a 3 character extenstion. Like the old DOS days: filename.ext

index.htm - is a usable name

index.html - is not

mylongfilename.htm - is not

my_index.htm - is usable.

As for services offered by the ISY, its just a basic web server. No Perl, MySQL, PHP etc. Doesn't sound to me like that is an issue for you at this stage.

-Xathros

Thanks -Xathros

I assume Java is acceptable to use?

Any suggestions on an editor, maybe one that is drag and drop to built pages?

Gary

Hi Gary-

Java does not require anything special from the server. It is interpreted client side. So yes, it's fine.

-Xathros

JavaScript runs in the client. Java is NOT JavaScript.

Correct. Pretty sure he was talking about Javascript. Either way, Java apps run in the JVM client side and Javascript runs in the browser client side. Nothing special needed in the webserver for either.

-Xathros

Xathros

Thanks for all you help. I downloaded a drag and drop web editor and put my first published web page up on the ISY. All seems to work well. Yes I will be interested in using JaveScripts and Java apps at some point in the future.

Again thanks

Gary

Archived