Log file

clark21236

I only have Excel 2000 on my home computer, so I can not use the built in log file from the ISY. I did open the text file from the temp directory. I would like to understand it a little bit better.

I have a virtual 3 way switch in my laundry room that I have had trouble with a couple of times.

I have a switch in my kitchen that I use "Fast On" to make a program run. Once the ISY sees that "Fast On" it will turn my laundry room virtual 3 way scene on. It will wait 1 minute and then turn it back off for me.

It didn't work this morning. I tried it several times. What I had to do was to turn the laundry room switch on, and then off. Then when I used "Fast On" from the kitchen switch and it worked fine. I just don't understand what I am seeing in the log file to help determine where the failure was.

All of the switches I am talking about are togglelinc relay switches.

Sure, here is the code. It works day in and day out for me.

If
       Control 'Kitchen High Hat Master' is switched Fast On

Then
       Set Scene 'Laundry Rm Virtual 3 Way' On
       Wait  1 minute 
       Set Scene 'Laundry Rm Virtual 3 Way' Off
       Run program 'Kitchen 2 Laundry Room' (Else Path)

Else
  - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

The problem I am trying to figure out from the log file is where was the action missed. Was it the fast on from the kitchen, or did the laundry room not get the signal.

This is from the log file

Kitchen High Hat Slave Status 100% 4/8/08 05:53 AM System Log

Kitchen High Hat Master Status 100% 4/8/08 05:53 AM System Log

MBR KPL B Status 100% 4/8/08 05:53 AM System Log

Laundry Rm Master Status 100% 4/8/08 06:16 AM System Log

Laundry Rm Slave Status 100% 4/8/08 06:16 AM System Log

Laundry Rm Master Status 0% 4/8/08 06:16 AM System Log

Laundry Rm Slave Status 0% 4/8/08 06:16 AM System Log

Scene:Laundry Rm Virtual 3 Way On 255 4/8/08 06:16 AM Scheduler Log

Kitchen High Hat Slave Status 0% 4/8/08 06:16 AM System Log

Kitchen High Hat Master Status 0% 4/8/08 06:16 AM System Log

MBR KPL B Status 0% 4/8/08 06:16 AM System Log

Scene:Laundry Rm Virtual 3 Way Off 0 4/8/08 06:17 AM Scheduler Log

Laundry Rm Master Status 0% 4/8/08 06:17 AM System Log

Laundry Rm Slave Status 0% 4/8/08 06:17 AM System Log

So, to summarize, at 5:53 I turned on my Kitchen High Hat slave togglelinc that is crosslinked to the master. So at 5:53 the Kitchen High Hat master turned on as well. I have a button on the MBR keypad that is tied in to that same scene. And it turned on at 5:53.

Next you see the Laundry Rm master and slave turning on and off. And that seems to be me turning the switch on.

Next you see a Scene:Laundry Rm Virtual 3 Way On 255. This was from my program that was triggered by the fast on from the kitchen switch. The funny thing, you don't see the fast on from that switch in the log file. After the Scene, you see both Laundry Rm switches going to 100%.

Then we see the Kitchen going to 0%, along with the MBR keypad button. This is me turning the kitchen light off.

Then 1 minute later, just like the program calls for it, the Scene:Laundry Rm Virtual 3 way is turned off, and we see the master and slave switch going to 0%.

One thing I am seeing is that the log file does not show fast on from the switch. So I can't really figure out where the failure is.

I tried the fast on several times and nothing happened. So I tried one of the switches in the laundry room and they both worked together just like they should.

After that worked, I tried the fast on from the kitchen switch again and the scene triggered in the laundry room just like it should.

Seems to me that I won't be able to figure this out if the ISY does not log fast on from a switch.

clark21236,

ISY does not show Fast On/Fast Off in the log. It just shows the status of the device.

From what I see in your log (see below), ISY did not sense the Fast On; it only sensed On at 5:53 AM and thus the scene was not triggered. Actually the scene is not triggered at all till 6:16 AM. So, do you have any other programs that activate this scene?

With kind regards,

Michel

Kitchen High Hat Slave Status 100% 4/8/08 05:53 AM System Log

Kitchen High Hat Master Status 100% 4/8/08 05:53 AM System Log

MBR KPL B Status 100% 4/8/08 05:53 AM System Log

Laundry Rm Master Status 0% 4/8/08 06:16 AM System Log

Laundry Rm Slave Status 0% 4/8/08 06:16 AM System Log

Scene:Laundry Rm Virtual 3 Way On 255 4/8/08 06:16 AM Scheduler Log

Kitchen High Hat Slave Status 0% 4/8/08 06:16 AM System Log

Kitchen High Hat Master Status 0% 4/8/08 06:16 AM System Log

MBR KPL B Status 0% 4/8/08 06:16 AM System Log

Scene:Laundry Rm Virtual 3 Way Off 0 4/8/08 06:17 AM Scheduler Log

Laundry Rm Master Status 0% 4/8/08 06:17 AM System Log

Laundry Rm Slave Status 0% 4/8/08 06:17 AM System Log

clark21236,

ISY does not show Fast On/Fast Off in the log. It just shows the status of the device.

From what I see in your log (see below), ISY did not sense the Fast On; it only sensed On at 5:53 AM and thus the scene was not triggered. Actually the scene is not triggered at all till 6:16 AM. So, do you have any other programs that activate this scene?

With kind regards,

Michel

No Michel, there is nothing else in my system that triggers the Laundry Rm Virtual 3 Way On. They two switches are crosslinked to each other, and I have that one program that turns the laundry room scene on when the switch is turned fast on. That's it.

I did just notice something strange, my B button on the keypadlinc in my bedroom was lit, but the kitchen was not on. I tried the B button, it is tied in with the virtual 3 way for my kitchen light, and the lights did not change state.

So, I thought maybe something has gotten hosed in the link table in the devices. So I did a restore on my kitchen master and slave switches. That went OK, but there is no indication from the ISY that anything is happening, just the hourglass. Then I tried the MBR keypadlinc and it failed.

I just tried it again and it takes about 3 minutes and I get a box back that says Error Request Failed.

I just tried the switches and everything seems to be OK.

Hello again,

This is quite strange indeed. The log shows that the Scene was triggered by a program but the only program that activates that scene is based on a Fast On which is nowhere to be found in the log (in that time period). So, either the scene was triggered by the same program and the log is inaccurate or the program is run by itself. Either case is quite disturbing!

As far as request failed, please do a query on your Network (top most node in the tree) and see if you get any device communication errors. In all likelihood, ISY cannot communicate with your device either because of noise or a defective PLM.

With kind regards,

Michel

No Michel, there is nothing else in my system that triggers the Laundry Rm Virtual 3 Way On. They two switches are crosslinked to each other, and I have that one program that turns the laundry room scene on when the switch is turned fast on. That's it.

I did just notice something strange, my B button on the keypadlinc in my bedroom was lit, but the kitchen was not on. I tried the B button, it is tied in with the virtual 3 way for my kitchen light, and the lights did not change state.

So, I thought maybe something has gotten hosed in the link table in the devices. So I did a restore on my kitchen master and slave switches. That went OK, but there is no indication from the ISY that anything is happening, just the hourglass. Then I tried the MBR keypadlinc and it failed.

I just tried it again and it takes about 3 minutes and I get a box back that says Error Request Failed.

I just tried the switches and everything seems to be OK.

Hello again,

This is quite strange indeed. The log shows that the Scene was triggered by a program but the only program that activates that scene is based on a Fast On which is nowhere to be found in the log (in that time period). So, either the scene was triggered by the same program and the log is inaccurate or the program is run by itself. Either case is quite disturbing!

As far as request failed, please do a query on your Network (top most node in the tree) and see if you get any device communication errors. In all likelihood, ISY cannot communicate with your device either because of noise or a defective PLM.

Michel, you mentioned previously this "ISY does not show Fast On/Fast Off in the log. It just shows the status of the device. "

So the log would not show the status of the fast on, correct? Let me give you some more info. I turn the kitchen lights on. Do all my normal stuff, then do a fast on from the switch while the lights are still on. So maybe this is why you don't see it in the log, because they are already at 100%.

As far as the request failed goes. I have the 99irPro with code 1.0 and the keypadlinc that is not responding to the restore is a brand new relay style. Not sure if that makes a difference or not, but it could.

I tried all of my switches from the keypadlinc this morning and everything worked perfectly, as did my laundry room stuff. And see, that is the thing, the laundry room only had a problem when I first started setting up my network. Once I got the ISY figured out then it seemed to be fine. I think this in only the second time I have seen this happen since I got my ISY setup correctly.

Hello Clark,

You are 100% correct: if a device is already at a level, the log does not show that the device was activated again.

Do you still get Request Failed on your KPL Relay. We've had some problems with KPL Relays before but all isolated to Mutex/Toggle modes. Is it possible to move your KPL closer to your PLM and see whether or not you have the same issue?

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel, you mentioned previously this "ISY does not show Fast On/Fast Off in the log. It just shows the status of the device. "

So the log would not show the status of the fast on, correct? Let me give you some more info. I turn the kitchen lights on. Do all my normal stuff, then do a fast on from the switch while the lights are still on. So maybe this is why you don't see it in the log, because they are already at 100%.

As far as the request failed goes. I have the 99irPro with code 1.0 and the keypadlinc that is not responding to the restore is a brand new relay style. Not sure if that makes a difference or not, but it could.

I tried all of my switches from the keypadlinc this morning and everything worked perfectly, as did my laundry room stuff. And see, that is the thing, the laundry room only had a problem when I first started setting up my network. Once I got the ISY figured out then it seemed to be fine. I think this in only the second time I have seen this happen since I got my ISY setup correctly.

Hello Clark,

Do you still get Request Failed on your KPL Relay. We've had some problems with KPL Relays before but all isolated to Mutex/Toggle modes. Is it possible to move your KPL closer to your PLM and see whether or not you have the same issue?

Yes, it still failed. I just tried the query from My Lighting and had no problems. And my laundry room program ran fine this morning. I tried it when I got home as well, and it worked then too.

Yes, I have a long Ethernet cable. I will move the ISY and PLM to the outlet below my keypadlinc and see how it works. Presently they are only 20ft apart. Not saying that it is on the same phase, or it will be when I move it either.

I have an access point in between them as well, by the way the crow flies.

Hi Clark,

Thanks and please do keep us posted. Also, you might want to try the DBG command (in the shell) and look at your Java console to see where it fails.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hello Clark,

Yes, it still failed. I just tried the query from My Lighting and had no problems. And my laundry room program ran fine this morning. I tried it when I got home as well, and it worked then too.

Yes, I have a long Ethernet cable. I will move the ISY and PLM to the outlet below my keypadlinc and see how it works. Presently they are only 20ft apart. Not saying that it is on the same phase, or it will be when I move it either.

I have an access point in between them as well, by the way the crow flies.

Michel,

I have my computer on the second floor of my house. My ISY and PLM are plugged into an outlet not far from my computer. One of my access points is also installed near here, about 8 feet away. My bedroom is about 20 or 25 feet away.

I unplugged the PLM and the ISY and moved them to an outlet underneath my keypadlinc in the bedroom. I stretched an Ethernet cable over to it and plugged it in. I performed a restore to the relay keypadlinc. It performed this with no problems.

I moved everything back to exactly where stuff was to start with and performed a restore again. Once again, no problems.

The only thing that looked different was the admin gui. Last night when I did this, the system busy dialog box popped up, but the cursor also turned into an hourglass. When I just did this, the system busy dialog showed up, but the cursor did not turn into an hourglass.

Each time the progress bar made its way to 100% and started over. I don't remember exactly how far it got, but it completed on the second go round. Last night I remember the progress bar working across several times.

Not sure if this makes any difference or not.

Just as a side note, I don't have that many devices installed yet, and have never really had any trouble with things working properly. This problem I saw was new.

Hi,

Thanks so very much for the update. As far as the hour glass, I would not worry about it at all since it depends on the position of the mouse with respect to the progress bar.

What worries me is that you have an intermittent communication problem and I suspect that it's not going to go away by itself. Do you have a filterlinc that you can use to isolate your computer. Also, what time of day did you try to perform the same operation on the previous attempt? Was there anything else on at the same time (plasma TV)?

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel,

I have my computer on the second floor of my house. My ISY and PLM are plugged into an outlet not far from my computer. One of my access points is also installed near here, about 8 feet away. My bedroom is about 20 or 25 feet away.

I unplugged the PLM and the ISY and moved them to an outlet underneath my keypadlinc in the bedroom. I stretched an Ethernet cable over to it and plugged it in. I performed a restore to the relay keypadlinc. It performed this with no problems.

I moved everything back to exactly where stuff was to start with and performed a restore again. Once again, no problems.

The only thing that looked different was the admin gui. Last night when I did this, the system busy dialog box popped up, but the cursor also turned into an hourglass. When I just did this, the system busy dialog showed up, but the cursor did not turn into an hourglass.

Each time the progress bar made its way to 100% and started over. I don't remember exactly how far it got, but it completed on the second go round. Last night I remember the progress bar working across several times.

Not sure if this makes any difference or not.

Just as a side note, I don't have that many devices installed yet, and have never really had any trouble with things working properly. This problem I saw was new.

No, I do not have any filterlincs. The operation was performed at very similar times.

The computer is plugged into a UPS. TV's are LCD, and none of them were on. I tried it on the second attempt with basically the same situation as before, to the best of my recollection.

clark21236,

I am a little concerned that this problem is going to repeat itself. I've heard some UPS devices cause noise but I cannot be sure.

With kind regards,

Michel

No, I do not have any filterlincs. The operation was performed at very similar times.

The computer is plugged into a UPS. TV's are LCD, and none of them were on. I tried it on the second attempt with basically the same situation as before, to the best of my recollection.

Michel,

The only real difference that I know of between my first attempt at restoring the keypad and the second attempt was that the ISY and the PLM were unplugged and moved to a different outlet. Hence restarting both devices.

If it happens at another time, I'll try unplugging both of them and plugging them back and try again. I have an ISY-99ir/Pro, and I have the new 2000 link PLM, so I was hoping most issues would have been resolved with this setup. (As far as Insteon PLM issues that is.)

clark21236,

Thanks so very much for the update. For next time, may I humbly suggest rebooting ISY/PLM as the last resort? It could also be the location of the PLM and especially the UPS.

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel,

The only real difference that I know of between my first attempt at restoring the keypad and the second attempt was that the ISY and the PLM were unplugged and moved to a different outlet. Hence restarting both devices.

If it happens at another time, I'll try unplugging both of them and plugging them back and try again. I have an ISY-99ir/Pro, and I have the new 2000 link PLM, so I was hoping most issues would have been resolved with this setup. (As far as Insteon PLM issues that is.)

Archived