On/Off program Time

Hi,

first got my Insteon and ISY a month ago, Mostly It seems to work good.

having some timed program issues.

My Motion sensor turns on light and text my phone..

My remote button sets basement pot lights to 65% for watching TV

stuff like that all works.

But When I try to set outside light on at 7:00pm and off at 7:30am there is Nothing..

No timed Programs or events will do anything. Am I missing something.. It does Not seem that hard.

I have read many posts and am about to try a new isy.

Also... I have two boys that play " Roblox" on the internet.. When there on the games My Isy

gets Dumb.. I cant turn stuff on or off.. works quite spotty.. Im thinking it may be a problem with my router

speed or my internet connection.. its a linksys WRT31ON

Any help would be great Thanks.

But When I try to set outside light on at 7:00pm and off at 7:30am there is Nothing..

No timed Programs or events will do anything. It does Not seem that hard.

I have read many posts and am about to try a new isy.

While it is possible you have a faulty ISY or PLM, I consider it more likely that there is some trivial problem with the program that is causing your problem. Of course, without seeing your program (take this as a suggestion to post it) it is hard to identify. One problem that appears regular around here is that people fail to choose "next day" when working with time periods that encompass midnight. For example, does your program look something like:

if

from time 7pm

to 730am (next day)

then

turn on lights

else

turn off lights

Also... I have two boys that play " Roblox" on the internet.. When there on the games My Isy

gets Dumb.. I cant turn stuff on or off.. works quite spotty.. Im thinking it may be a problem with my router

speed or my internet connection.. its a linksys WRT31ON

Probably not the router or internet connection, in my mind. More likely a communication problem between devices. Is your isy and PLM plugged into the same outlet and circuit as your computer or device used to play roblox? Do you have two dual-band devices confirmed on each leg of your electrical system?

Thanks,

It does not matter what room of my house they are plugged into when there both on

there lap tops shooting stuff etc lol.

I can not properly control my isy.

I should point out " we" are all using wireless connections.

yes I have Dual Band devices on both Legs of hydro service.

In My program, I did not use the "else" prompt.

I will Try that.

Thanks again.

IF 7:00am

to 7:30pm the next day

Then "Set Back Door Light" ON

Probably just a typo but the above program will turn the lights on in the Morning at 7am rather than 7Pm and then as pointed out above, unless you have added an off to the Else, they will remain on.

-Xathros

Steve S

Right click Program name, select Copy to Clipboard. Paste Program to forum post. There are a number of common mistakes possible. Not using “next dayâ€, not coding a Set xxxx Off, have been covered. There are others. Once the actual Program can be viewed as oberkc suggested it should be simple to resolve

As for your ISY problems, you have described this as your ISY getting "dumb", then later as "I can not properly control my isy". Perhaps I am failing to understand your problem and what is happening that shouldn't, or what is not happening that should.

First, within your house (on your Local Area Network), I don't believe you need internet access to log into the ISY. I still don't believe that internet access issues are a cause for whatever your problems are. Second, communication between the ISY and other insteon devices is done through the PLM, powerlines, and (in some cases) RF. This has nothing to do with your router, the internet, or your LAN. Perhaps you are getting some type of RF interference from some of your other electronic devices during the gaming sessions that block insteon RF communication?

Like with your program, however, it might be a good idea to be a bit more descriptive about your problems, rather than a generic term or expression such as "dumb" or "can't control", or "it doesn't work". Are you trying to turn stuff off from the ISY admin panel, or via switch? Are you able to log into your ISY? Does the ISY admin panel appear to behave normally? Is it showing device status different than reality? Are you trying to control a scene via insteon device and the scene fails to respond? Are you expecting a program to trigger from an insteon device and it fails to do so?

Thanks for helping all..

here is.. was.. my program

No It did not Work.

If

From 7:00:00PM

To 7:30:00AM (next day)

Then

Set 'Back outside Lights' On

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

So now it is like this..

If

From 7:00:00PM

To 7:30:00AM (next day)

Then

Set 'Back outside Lights' On

Else

Set 'Back outside Lights' Off

I have changed the "from ON time" to 5 minutes ago.. went out to see..still nothing..

I can turn the light on and off no problem in my Main Admin console..

Any Programs I try to do with "Timing" will not work for some reason.

as far as the "Dumb" comment.. it is like it is Stuck.. will not let me turn on or off anything..

I will click on the "on" button and nothing.. The button its self displays it has been pushed..

same when I turn it back off.. dotted line around it but NO action. this happens all the time with kids on there Games..

when I kick them off there lap tops all is fine again.

My Scenes all work great and any program with out " time of Day" on or off work good.

I Think I am going to order an new ISY today.

Steve

Changing the time to something that has already passed does NOT trigger the Program. The Program triggers when the ‘current’ time matches with the From or To time. To run a test change AND SAVE the Program with a time that will happen in a few minutes. The Program will trigger when the 'current' time matches one of the times.

I have changed the "from ON time" to 5 minutes ago.. went out to see..still nothing..

Programs will not catch themselves up. If you set a time earlier than current time, you will have to wait til next day to see it work. Also, make sure you save program changes. If not, you will see a little green arrow at the bottom left of your admin console, while in the programs tab. Also, make sure you have chosen all days of the week, or those specific days you want this to work.

If you want to check your program today, set the time for 5 minutes INTO THE FUTURE, save the changes, then go watch the light as that time comes and goes.

Have you checked ISY time? Is it correct?

Feel free to order a new ISY, but I still think it could be something simple.

as far as the "Dumb" comment.. it is like it is Stuck.. will not let me turn on or off anything..

I will click on the "on" button and nothing.. The button its self displays it has been pushed..

same when I turn it back off.. dotted line around it but NO action. this happens all the time with kids on there Games..

when I kick them off there lap tops all is fine again.

Indeed, very strange. I am no expert at routers, but I understand that they have a limit to total throughput. Perhaps the games are maxing this capability out. I would have to check mine, but I wonder if routers can be set to allocate bandwidth to certain ports, always reserving some for the ISY.

Sometimes strange behaviour such as this can be attributed to firewalls, java, and stuff like that, but these problems would persist regardless of whether video games are being played on other computers.

Still, I cannot help but wonder why you find the need to regularly operate lights from the ISY admin panel. I go for months without turning on a light from the admin panel. I use the ISY to configure and link my devices, and to run programs. All manual operation of lighting is done via switch or keypad. Besides time-based programs, is your system otherwise operating normally, even during video games?

The time I had adjusted was in the "Future" and it did Not trigger the

" back Outside Lights" ON when the actual time of day equaled the Program ON time.

The only Reason I have been " playing " with the system,

is because I can not get the Timed Programs to work properly

turning lights on and off also When Kids are on Laptops it does not work all the time,

My Friends are interested in this system Also.. it is Awesome,

but I cant get it to work with timers.

I am a Licensed Master Electrician with PLC programming experience,

and it is Quite frustrating when I cant even get my outside light to turn on or off automatically. lol.

All Devices work Fine when I manually " trigger " them All Devices work Fine

from my iphone at home or away. I get texts from my motion sensors all is Great.. BUT...

I Honestly Feel There is an issue with my Program "Time functions"

If everything was fine I prob wouldn't touch it for months either.

Thanks Again for Helping Everyone

You have a WIFI issue that is separate from Insteon. The triggering of Programs and turning devices on/off by those Programs does not involve the Ethernet.

If the games are taking up the band width there will be issues with the Admin Console working as that does go through the router but this has nothing to do with Programs being triggered.

Check the time across the top of the Admin Console and verify it reflects the current time. When a Program does not trigger post the actual program.

You have a WIFI issue that is separate from Insteon. The triggering of Programs and turning devices on/off by those Programs does not involve the Ethernet.

If the games are taking up the band width there will be issues with the Admin Console working as that does go through the router but this has nothing to do with Programs being triggered.

Check the time across the top of the Admin Console and verify it reflects the current time. When a Program does not trigger post the actual program.

Here is a screen shot of my program,

That Makes complete sense about the Admin Console with the games going.

post-5079-140474159059_thumb.png

I believe I see Avast in the Tray. Can you disable that when your having problems and see if it makes a difference?

-Xathros

I would suggest setting the log level to 3 and pasting a copy of that here after you try to turn the porch light on and off, then do the same with the kids laptops plugged into the wall (if they are not plugged in, then they can have no affect on the insteon signal on the line).

Then set the time on the program a minute or two into the future and post that too.

I suspect a communications issue myself.

I believe it is under "tools">>>"event viewer"

This will open a windown where one can watch insteon events in real time. From there one can choose the "level" of events. I forget if there is an export option (hopefully it is obvious), but a screen capture image would work, as well.

The Program did not issue anything. It looks like the Program was Saved after 1:47 PM. Change the Program From and To times to values that have not yet arrived by a few minutes according to the time displayed by the Admin Console which may not the same as the PC. Clear the event viewer and post the results after the From and To times have passed.

The " screen Snip shot" was taken after the program should have run.

the time was set properly,

For some reason none of my programs that all worked before... will work anymore.

I can add switches to scenes and all devices work manually.

Its like my Programming function has been in some way Bypassed,

disabled or Switched off.

Thank God! you sir saved me from bashing my head against the wall yet again

That is EXACTLY what it was..

"Folder Conditions" for My Programs..

I remember seeing that before and must have changed the IF in there.

Thank You!

:D

Archived