Fan programming on KPL

timster

Hello,

I have a 6 button KPL and it controls the fan beautifully. The on/off buttons control the light while the 4 smaller buttons control the fan speed (high, med, low, off). The fan speed is controlled by a scene (mutually exclusive buttons). All very standard.

What I can't figure out is how to turn off the backlight for the fan off button. Any ideas?

Not sure if this is possible with mutually exclusive buttons or not - try setting the fan off button to non-toggle-off mode.

-Xathros

On newest 6 button KPLs setting the OFF button to non-toggle Off mode would cause the OFF button LEDs to turn Off completely. I tried it on a v.36 button KPL and it did not work using the ISY. There is a backlight issue at 4.0.5. Not sure if that would affect setting non-toggle mode on older KPLs. There is a manual method for setting the OFF button to non-toggle OFF mode. I think it is in the KPL User Guide. If not the manual procedure is described on the Smarthome forum.

I think his issue was with the D button not the big off button. Not sure if that makes a difference here. I dont have any KPL6s to test with.

-Xath

timster

Did you use Buttons Grouping (Mutually Exclusive/Radio buttons) or set the Responder On Level to 0% to turn the LEDs Off. The later is the technique that should be used. Buttons Grouping should not be used.

Hi Lee,

I defined the mutual exclusion through the scene and without button groupings. When doing so, each button allows you to control the other buttons' led levels, but not its own led level. Maybe the control could be enhanced to control all other buttons and its own led levels?

Thanks.

You want to turn button D On (to turn Fan Motor Off) and have button D LEDs Off?

That is not possible for a button in Toggle mode. It would not allow the user to know if a button press will be sending an On command or an Off command. If you want button D LEDs Off after pressing the button, set button D to non-toggle Off mode.

Hi Lee,

Setting the D buttom to non-toggle off mode doesn't disable the led when activated. It may be because it is grouped with the other buttons.

If I set the D button to toggle on/off and hit the button twice, the led goes off. This isn't an ideal work around but I guess is okay.

timster-

You could always create another scene containing only the D button as a responder and a program that says:

If 
  Control KPL-D switched On

Then
  Set Scene KPL-D Off

Else

-Xathros

Does the button link twice when pressed when in non-toggle Off mode?

Button D does not have to be in any of the other Scenes. In non-toggle mode Off button D will never be On more than the two blinks when a non-toggle mode button is pressed so it is not necessary for the other Scenes to interact with button D.

If the button does not blink twice and stay Off, what is KeypadLinc firmware and what is the ISY firmware.

The button is not in non-toggle mode if it does not blink twice.

Would the 6.9 be the hardware revision. The KPL firmware is displayed on the second line of the individual node display. There is a correction for the v.41 firmware in 4.0.5 that requires the device be deleted from the ISY and added back.

The solution proposed by Xathros is not dependent on the internal KPL configuration information so I would expect it to work in with other issues.

Hi Lee,

Sorry, v6.9 was the hardware version on the KPL box. According to ISY, the KPL firmware version is v.41 so I'll delete it and add it back. I've got a couple of these so can I delete them and then restore the ISY from a backup? I'm guessing restore devices doesn't work?

Thanks for the help debugging this issue.

timster-

Restoring a backup would bring you right back to where you were before removing the KPL. The idea is to remove and re-add the KPL so the ISY can acquire the correct device info and build a new set of link records for the device replacing the ones that are there currently.

If you have a spare KPL, you could add that with a temporary name and use the "replace with" feature to replace the one your having an issue with. then remove the problem KPL, add it back and replace with again to swap everything back to that KPL.

-Xathros

Unfortunately I'm not sure if a Restore Device will put back bad configuration data. An issue with the v.41 KPL firmware was resolved but I don't know if the underlying ISY configuration data is right or wrong when created before 4.0.5. If the ISY data is wrong the Restore Device is going to restore bad configuration information.

This is something UDI will have to respond to.

Of course the Scenes can be defined from scratch which should eliminate the question but I understand that may require lots of work.

Archived