Creating a virtual three way with Keypadlinc Timer

racekarl

In my garage I replaced the overhead light switch at the top of the stairs with a keypadlinc timer (2484D) so that I can push a button to illuminate the stairs, go get in my car and leave and have the lights go out a few minutes later. Previously, the lights were controlled by both the switch at the top of the stairs as well as a switch by the outer garage door. I have replaced this switch with a Switchlinc.

I have configured the bottom right button of the kepadlinc timer as an on/off toggle switch.

My question is how can I set up these switches in a scene so that they act as a three way switch where if I turn on the switchlinc it turns on the lights with no timer countdown, and if I turn on the lights at the timer, the LED on the switchlinc reflects the current status (that last part is a nice to have, not a must-have)?

In the ISY the keypadlinc shows up as devices 1 and B-H, which all show "On" or "Off" together no matter which button was used to turn on the light. If I turn on the kpl via the ISY interface the load light comes on, but none of the buttons on the kpl light up.

Include both the KPL Timer button and the KPL button that you want to use as controllers of the scene.

-Xathros

The KPL buttons of the timer can only be added as responders to a scene, so I assume you meant to add the KPL and the Switchlinc both as controllers.

I did that and got something that sort of works, but not well:

If I turn on the lights using any button on the timer, the LED on the Switchlinc reflects the on state correctly. If I then turn the lights off using the On/Off button, the Switchlinc also responds as expected. If I turn the lights on using the timer, I can then turn them off using the Switchlinc; so far so good.

The problem is that if the lights are off and I turn them on using the switchlinc, it activates the top left button of the timer, which is the two minute timer. Meaning that if I turn the lights on using the switchlinc they only stay on for two minutes.

Is there a way to turn the lights on via the Switchlinc and have them stay on indefinitely while keeping everything else the same?

Thanks

I don't have a KPL Timer and as a result, I don't know much about how it operates. Can you address the timer functionality separately from the On/Off functionality? If so, remove the timer from the scene and replace with the On/Off button.

-Xathros

Thanks Michel, that's sort of what I suspected. If I instead created a scene where the switchlinc was the controller and the OnOff button of the keypadlinc timer was the responder, I would get something like this I assume:

- Switchlinc LED would *not* reflect the status of the load if it were turned on or off via the keypad

- Switchlink would be able to turn the lights on and off by toggling the state of the OnOff button

Does that sound right? I think that would be OK since it gets the functionality I want with the only downside I can see being the cosmetic issue that the LED on the switchlinc would be out of sync with the actual state of the lights. I could mitigate that by just turning the LEDs off completely on the switchlinc.

Archived