Noob having issues getting started

EdgemanVA

New user, and I'm having a few issues that have me puzzled...lol

(Background: ISY-994i IR Pro, Insteon serial modem, ASUS wireless router, Win7 OS on my PC, using IE10 browser)

I followed the instructions in the owners manual about hardware setup, basic connections are:

- Port A cable to serial PLM

- Network cable to wireless router

- power cord to power strip

I saw the multiple LEDs light when power was first applied, and now I have a steady bright blue LED for power (so far so good).

Looking for my ISU's login URL, it wasn't available when I used the Help/About pull down. I only see Model, Platform, Version, and Build Timestamp...nothing else. Thankfully I was able to get my IP address by going to the "Network and Internet" section of the windows control panel. So far, so good (I guess).

The first real stumbling block is when I try to access my Admin Console. I go from a blue to a white screen that says, "Please Keep This Window Open!" then under that I see "Java 2+ Required". Per the set up instructions, I visited the Java website to install the latest version before I plugged in any of my network equipment.

I have a pop-up box at the bottom of the screen that says IE blocked the website from installing an ActiveX control. I clicked the "Install" button, hit the install button on the pop-up, then get another pop-up that says Windows has blocked this software because it can't verify the publisher.

"Name: 192.168.1.172/

Publisher: Unknown Publisher"

Is this a valid name/address? Do I need to take my browsers security down to zero & download?

Thanks!

Hi EdgemanVA,

I am so very sorry to hear all these problems you are having. I think it would be best to contact our support for more expedient resolution.

If your computer is 64 bit, then you MUST install both 64 bit (for IE) as well as 32 bit versions of Java. I think you have only installed the 32 bit version.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi EdgemanVA,

I am so very sorry to hear all these problems you are having. I think it would be best to contact our support for more expedient resolution.

If your computer is 64 bit, then you MUST install both 64 bit (for IE) as well as 32 bit versions of Java. I think you have only installed the 32 bit version.

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel,

Thanks! I actually retraced my steps and solved the issue. When I updated Java, I hadn't removed the old version first. It originally indicated that the update was successful, so I thought everything was OK. I started back at the top checking everything, and decided to look at the version I had installed. It was the old version. I uninstalled the old, loaded the new, and I finally have access to my Admin Console.

My take-away: never assume anything, recheck everything! I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions in the future, but for now, I'm glad I'm back on the same page!

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...