Upgrading to ISY994i - Should I buy new PLM and Access Point

oronomus

I have purchased a new ISY994i. Is there a compelling reason also to upgrade my PLM and my 3 Access Points? My existing PLM and access points are old - probably purchased in 2008 (I can provide version #'s if needed). I noticed that the access points currently offered are dual band. Does that matter? I have had some communications problems that I have lived with. Plan to troubleshoot these as part of the ISY994i install. Thanks for any advice.

Access points by nature are dualband - both old and new. I don't believe much has changed in them over the years as long as they are true access points and not the old Signalinc's with the black external antennas one the bottom. As for the PLM, if yours is working, no need to replace but since the PLM is the heart of your insteon system, it might be a good idea to have a spare on hand. If you poke around these forums much, you will see lots of occurrences of failed PLM's. I personally had to replace my PLM earlier this spring after maybe 4 years of use.

-Xathros

Is the old PLM the 2412S or the Dual band 2413S?

If it is the 2412S I would think it maybe best to replace it.

As for the 2443 Access Points. They are probably OK.

I actually found in an informal test. My older V1.6 ones with the power transformer. Have a stronger RF signal than my newer V2.5 ones do.

I decided to order the 2413 to replace a 2412, and use my existing access points. in another thread, one member suggested the following procedure to simultaneously replace a PLM and upgrade a 99:

I am going to suggest a slight change in order:

Unplug the 2412 from power and 99

Plug 2413 into 99 and power

Power Cycle the 99

Restore the PLM

Test some stuff

Back up 99

Disconnect 99 from network

Connect 994 to network and 2413 and power both on

Restore 99 backup to 994

Is this a process others recommend?

Can someone explain how to power cycle the 99 in this sequence to make sure that I am doing it correctly (I assume I will have to use the power cord supplied with the 994 to provide power to the 99 once the 2413 is installed). Thanks...

I assume I will have to use the power cord supplied with the 994 to provide power to the 99 once the 2413 is installed

Correct.

-Xathros

Archived