How can I Integrate my IP Camera with ISY-994I Pro

scansbar

Hello everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. To give you some background, I have about 15 devices, 2 Motion detection's, and a door trigger. I also have a TRENDnet IP Camera Model TV-IP612WN . I'm trying to figure out it is possible to have the IP camera integrated in the ISY. I have been reading about REST commands and all sorts but not sure where to start and how I can educate myself. I am technical savy but when it comes to programming, I lack the knowledge. Would someone be so kind as to what or where I can start to integrate these systems? What I would like is to have the camera point in the direction (or to a preset) where the motion is triggered. I would also like it to record but I can set that feature up on the camera itself if it's too complicated. I also am not sure if I need the network module to accomplish any steps.

Thank you again and I will be checking frequently as I plan on doing this if possible during my next few days off.

Take care,

Mark

Hi Mark-

I have an older version of that Cam and am doing exactly what you want. You DO need the network module. You won't be using /REST commands for this. /REST is for setting/getting data and commands to the ISY. Network module allows the ISY to talk to other things on the network.

All of that said, the Trendnet cams have performed very poorly for me. I have had much better results with the Foscam PTZ cams.

Here is one of my Net resource rules for my Trendnet:

-Xathros

post-1437-140474160272_thumb.jpg

You won't be using /REST commands for this.

What WILL one be using, if not REST?

I have contemplated this same thing for a while, but stopped short, for fear of spending time better spent on other things. Did you find this relatively straight-forward, or requiring much research and trial-and-error?

Is it as simple as installing the network module and watching the event viewer for network commands as the camera motion sensor is triggered?

Hi Mark-

I have an older version of that Cam and am doing exactly what you want. You DO need the network module. You won't be using /REST commands for this. /REST is for setting/getting data and commands to the ISY. Network module allows the ISY to talk to other things on the network.

All of that said, the Trendnet cams have performed very poorly for me. I have had much better results with the Foscam PTZ cams.

-Xathros

Thank you. I appreciate your feedback and would like to understand how you did it once you bought the network module. How did find the commands or do you have a list that you can send to me. I'd like to test it out before upgrading to the network module to see how poorly it will operate.

I appreciate any guidance you send my way as I am eagerly looking forward to at least giving it a go.

Thank you truly for your time.

Mark

You won't be using /REST commands for this.

What WILL one be using, if not REST?

For telling the camera what to do, it's just the network resources. Therefore if you have a motion sensor or doorbell press that the ISY detects, it issues the network module resource to "tell" the camera to do something, provide the cameras themselves have the ability to listen, unlike most teenagers!

Is it as simple as installing the network module and watching the event viewer for network commands as the camera motion sensor is triggered?

That is where you need a camera that can issue a rest command to set a status variable or cause a particular program to run. From reading the boards, light changes from clouds going by, have been an extreme challenge to the camera "motion" software and has been a pretty much non-starter over the long term.

Some sort of true motion sensor would be my tact at cracking that, but not aware of a camera with a real PIR built right in.

Alan

Ok I think I'm on to something. I ran a developers display in IE and found that when I run this command it will go to preset 17 by just coping and pasting it in IE. If I buy the network module add on is there a function to run this command if a device is triggered on the ISY.

http://192.168.8x.1xx:2xxx1/cgi/ptdc.cg ... setName=17

I will leave the recording on the IP Cam to motion detection to save additional steps.

Thank you.

See my previous post - I posted a screenshot of one of my Net Resource rules. This one points the cam to position #1

I use the web console in firefox to capture the command being sent to the cam by it's web interface and then translate that into a role. I suspect the IE Dev console is about the same thing.

-Xathros

• 2 months later...

Archived