Elk - Z Wave Module - Issy - Insteon - Zigbee

MaddBomber83

There was some hints that integration between two different ISY controllers would be the preferred solution going forward if you had to have two in-compatible at the same time wireless protocols going.

Not sure if that will make this major feature upgrade, or if it's a version or two back yet.

Alan

Count me as a +1 for deep integration between multiple ISYs. I've been holding off wireless modules waiting for Z-Wave. However, would like ZigBee as well - so deep integration would seem to be the best way to allow this.

Thanks!

Michael.

• 6 months later...
Count me as a +1 for deep integration between multiple ISYs. I've been holding off wireless modules waiting for Z-Wave. However, would like ZigBee as well - so deep integration would seem to be the best way to allow this.

Thanks!

Michael.

another +1 for the deep integration or other means to enable both Zwave and Zigbee. In my case, I need Zwave for locks and other devices, but also want to interface with the GEM energy circuit product.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Michel,

What 994 model would use the new framework best with the integration of both zigbee and zwave? I am having issues lately with my 99 (not sure if another SD is failing or I am having Java issues) so am thinking of upgrading instead of troubleshooting, but I would rather wait if there is going to be a better 994 unit out soon.

Also, on another note have you ever seen a SWLD where the LED blinks with network traffic similar to the old ControlLincs? I have one the began do so around the same time as my problems started.

Thanks, Matt

Hi Matt,

Currently no immediate plans for a new hardware platform.

Is the actual light blinking with traffic or just the LED? If the actual light/load, then you have a defective dimmer. If just the LED, there's a setting to turn it off but, unfortunately, not from ISY.

With kind regards,

Michel

Got it...no new hardware...I have been search around to see what people prefer, the zwave vs the zigbee. I haven't really found a pros and cons on each of them. I know the zigbee has the smartmeter stuff, however it felt like much of the stuff at cedia this year seemed to be pointed at zwave. Anyone have any opinions?

As for the SWLD it is only the LED that blinks. In all these years I never new that the switches had that option. I thought it was just the old controlincs. Ill look around and see how to turn it off.

Thanks,

Matt

Got it...no new hardware...I have been search around to see what people prefer, the zwave vs the zigbee. I haven't really found a pros and cons on each of them. I know the zigbee has the smartmeter stuff, however it felt like much of the stuff at cedia this year seemed to be pointed at zwave. Anyone have any opinions?

As for the SWLD it is only the LED that blinks. In all these years I never new that the switches had that option. I thought it was just the old controlincs. Ill look around and see how to turn it off.

Thanks,

Matt

+1 for deep integration of two ISY talking Z-wave / Zigbee!

Matt,

It appears the UDI team has decided to support the Z-Wave camp do to more global compatibility with various makers.

I was told by UDI the HA vs Energy vs Other using Zibee is very much none standardized and thus extremely hard to support in terms of ISY deployment. I would humbly suggest you stick it out with the Z-Wave / Insteon combination.

Teken . . .

Thanks Teken. I really didn't much understand zigbee for the reasons you said, except for in terms of the smartmeter. Do all smart meters only use Zigbee. I understand that may be a way for the electricity company to check you meter, however being able to be able to a network, via a cable or wifi seems more practical for the second end user, the homeowner, who monthly receives a charge of $1.55 for a smart meter education, meaning that they eventually what us easily be able to realize when and where we are consuming the most power.

Matt

PS...I asked both my electrical company and the guy who reads my meter about obtaining a smartmeter. Neither had a clue and said to check with someone else.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys I'm having a doubt now I just get into this topic.. Maybe I'm asking a dumb question but here it goes.

I can communicate with just one technology using the ISY994i Z? I should choose between Z-Wave or ZigBee? When this is choosen?

The ISY-994Z is a Insteon + Zigbee version of the ISY. If you want Insteon+ZWave, buy a ISY-994 and order the ZWave kit to go with it. You can't have Zigbee and ZWave at the same time on the same ISY. You CAN have multiple ISY's one with ZWave and one with Zigbee.

-Xathros

Thanks so much for the explanation.. I thought the ISY-994i could be upgraded to both Zigbee or ZWave systems...

Today I just use Insteon and Global Cache devices but I'm looking for one that could be better to control audio/video equipments. That's why I was looking for ZWave or Zigbee devices.. Any suggestion?

Yes. You can buy the Zigbee radio and add it to the 994 then change the firmware to the 994Z version. You just can't have both ZWave and Zigbee as there is only one expansion port inside the 994 to accept one or the other radio.

-Xathros

Zwave is 99 for the Hardware and $1 for the software module.

Zigbee is $100 for the SmartGrid (Smart meter) version and the firmware would be a free update or

$125 for the Thermostat/Energy monitor version with the firmware being a free update.

Here is where I found the pricing: http://www.universal-devices.com/sales/products/

-Xathros

• 6 months later...

Is there a reason that I could want to use Z-WAVE devices insted of INSTEON? Better quality? Larger RF area? Reliability?

No matter which unit you decide to purchase the ISY natively supports both Insteon / X10.

Going with the Z-Wave camp offers you a vast number of companies that make Z-Wave products.

The price of the product depends on the brand and where you buy them. RF range varies with maker to maker and the environment it's installed into.

Encrypted By: Phoenix Security Solutions

Is there a reason that I could want to use Z-WAVE devices insted of INSTEON? Better quality? Larger RF area? Reliability?

Just an example, you can get $45 modules that support power readings (and with ISY, actions based on those) with Z-Wave where as the Insteon equivalent has a set / reset point native to the device with no readout.

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone point to an article or real description of the 2 different types of Zigbee radios available for the ISY?  I've recently installed an Elk M1 in a new home and want to pair it with an ISY Z or ZS (and a ZW to add z-wave)...just want to make sure I'm getting the most out of the purchase.  The house has a smart meter so I'm leaning towards the ZS version to track total electrical consumption, but it appears as though it cannot connect to other automation devices like the Z can.

Also, can 2 ISYs be paired or deeply integrated yet?  I've seen some mention of it in this thread and a couple others, just cant seem to find anything official.  

Any clarification on either front will be greatly appreciated.  

Can anyone point to an article or real description of the 2 different types of Zigbee radios available for the ISY?  I've recently installed an Elk M1 in a new home and want to pair it with an ISY Z or ZS (and a ZW to add z-wave)...just want to make sure I'm getting the most out of the purchase.  The house has a smart meter so I'm leaning towards the ZS version to track total electrical consumption, but it appears as though it cannot connect to other automation devices like the Z can.

Also, can 2 ISYs be paired or deeply integrated yet?  I've seen some mention of it in this thread and a couple others, just cant seem to find anything official.  

Any clarification on either front will be greatly appreciated.  

1. ISY ZS: You will need to reach out to your POCO and confirm if they will allow and support the use of the ISY Series Controller. This will ultimately dictate whether you can use and integrate the two together. Note, about 90% of the people who ever reach out to the POCO about this topic always receive *I don't know, no we don't, or never heard of it*

Do not let them pass you bye until you confirm with someone who knows what they are talking about. UDI can offer you a list of companies who are partners in the program.

2. Deep Integration: This will not be released until 2015 with no firm ETA. Once released this will allow you to connect two ISY's together to ultimately have one with Zigbee the other with Z-Wave.

3. ISY IZ: If you find that your POCO does not offer connections to the ISY Series Controller. You can purchase either a ECM-1240, Green Eye Monitor (GEM) which connects from 7 - 32 channels of your electrical circuits.

The manufacture is called Brultech and more information can be found here:  http://www.brultech.com/

You can follow my journey down the Energy Monitoring path in this on going install thread listed here: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=929

Archived