Honeywell Comfort Control API

Stik

I've tried the Venstar, ecobee and Honeywell web portals, they're all very similar in look and functionality.

One huge advantage of the Venstar is that you (Venlink) connects locally, which is why I switched to it.

The ecobee, Honeywell and Nest (once they get working APIs) are all cloud based.

Thanks io_guy

I have some ductboosters to control based on mode and other local changes. The local api was a big factor for me for that reason. I've also had a cool air recirculator on the house project list and will cut costs here in Michigan's bipolar (literally) weather. The T5900's ability to directly control that is a big plus. Its a very advanced, well engineered device.

I also love the functionality and the social media reviews of the Skyport mobile apps. I am looking forward to some WAF points on that feature. The HVAC setup in my house can involve walking around at night. Letting her adjust one stat, and then auto-bumping the other stat with the ISY will be very well received.

• 3 months later...

Has anyone had any luck getting access to their API? I had asked to join their program around June, and again a few days ago, and I have yet to get a reply from them. Their "Open" API doesn't seem very open to me.

I'm trying to get access to the logging functionality via an API so that I can automatically upload performance logs to my site. I have a working version already, although it still might have some bugs, at http://energy.bloodforge.com/. Right now, it is a manual process that involves inserting a USB stick to the thermostat to get the log, and then manually uploading the log to the server... not really an ideal process.

BTW, if anyone wouldn't mind sharing their performance logs with me, I'd appreciate it. Honeywell doesn't really have any reference document, and I'm sure there are things in a log file that are not supported on my site.

• 1 month later...

I would also buy a module based on the Honeywell API. What I am specifically interested in is knowing is does the API allow for the "Ventilation" control and boost timer? The Honeywell iPhone app or website doesnt support this and I have a TrueFresh system. To use the "boost" feature I have to have these small 20-40-60 minute remotes in areas just to use it or go to the "main" thermostat to adjust the time. Not all the thermostats installed can access it. The time goes all the way to 180 minutes, which the remote doesn't so that would be a plus too.

A cross sell opportunity would be also on the remote control side. I have an RTI remote and I know the guys over on that forum have also been interested in this API/Functionality. Could get more ISY unit sales. :)

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anybody has any additional information regarding this topic?  We have a Honeywell smart thermostat that we'd love to integrate into our network, but I can't seem to find much info about adding these thermostats to the ISY-994i.  I've also signed up for Honeywell's API updates, but haven't heard anything.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

I've tried three times to apply on their stupid website without success. If they ever let me in I'll write an app.

I've also applied a couple times. I've never heard back from them. It just doesn't seem like they're interested in giving people access to their APIs.

Guys I found some info that could be helpful from a couple other sites.

https://customer.honeywell.com/resources/techlit/TechLitDocuments/31-00000s/31-00002.pdf

https://github.com/nottings/python-honeywell-thermostat/blob/master/honeywell_db.py

https://community.smartthings.com/t/honeywell-smart-wi-fi-thermostat-compatibility/602/112

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,30125.0.html

It does appear that we have to use the Honeywell TotalConnect website/cloud. I have an TC account setup and hardware installed so happy to test. I have also applied but never got a response for the API. I have made a couple calls direct and sent emails but cant get anywhere with Honeywell. I figured I would pay a dev costs upfront to look at since I cant code and then just ask for donations.

IOGuy or fstanek can you look at this information to see if it is helpful and could you take the project on? Then we just paypal you with donations for your work? Looks like all the work is done just need to apply it to the ISY or put it via python on another NODE.

I'm not opposed to it. Depends on the cost of course.

$1M dollars muhaaaaa!

/sorry couldnt resist!

Edited by huddadudda

Sorry, I have no intention of scraping their website. If they can't provide a decent API they shouldn't be in home automation.

Maybe I am misunderstanding and when you say scrape you mean simply using the "website" rather than direct with the API? Did you look at any of the links? It appears most of the work is done.

Without getting off topic too much do you just not care anymore or have/are you planning on switching, and if so to what?

At the end of the day I agree with you, but for those of us who have these and to help the community whats the difference how we get there so long as we do?

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone else have a issue with scraping the TotalConnect site to get their thermostat working or is the main factor keeping things internal? I personally dont care either way so am still thinking of moving forward on this. Although only one person has reached out and posted a response. Should I just let it go?

I like the Honeywell and know they are a solid HVAC player. I looked hard it last year when shopping for stats.  However, I think there are 2 relevant cautions:

1. If they didn't devote resources to create a dedicated local api, they are not supporting that capability. If something doesn't work right, they aren't going to help. Lack of responding to io_guy provides some evidence for this.
  2. They can change their web pages and are not managing to solutions that choose to scrape. They could change their pages for their own reasons and that could break the functionality built on it. This is the classic "screen scraping" problem that has flowed over into web scraping.

To be candid, I would not build my hvac solution on this, solely because Honeywell is not showing commitment to the local lan requirements / audience. I followed io_guy's lead to the Venstar colortouch series, partially because of the dedicated local lan API and capabilities. They designed their product with local requirements in mind, and have been responsive when it had defects, and recently improved it by adding https: support.

Paul

Edited by paulbates

I've been looking for a Venstar but can't seem to find even a trace of one like the T8900. Seems like they are vapourware..

EDIT: Ooops I just found one at $469...ouch!

Larry the T8900 is a commercial unit. Is there a reason you dont want the T7900 instead? I may have a "in" soon with Venstar. ;)

I like the Honeywell and know they are a solid HVAC player. I looked hard it last year when shopping for stats. However, I think there are 2 relevant cautions:

• If they didn't devote resources to create a dedicated local api, they are not supporting that capability. If something doesn't work right, they aren't going to help. Lack of responding to io_guy provides some evidence for this.
  • They can change their web pages and are not managing to solutions that choose to scrape. They could change their pages for their own reasons and that could break the functionality built on it. This is the classic "screen scraping" problem that has flowed over into web scraping.
To be candid, I would not build my hvac solution on this, solely because Honeywell is not showing commitment to the local lan requirements / audience. I followed io_guy's lead to the Venstar colortouch series, partially because of the dedicated local lan API and capabilities. They designed their product with local requirements in mind, and have been responsive when it had defects, and recently improved it by adding https: support.

Paul

I agree with everything you say. The MiCasaVerde thread for Honeywell is pretty active but who wants the hassle of always supporting/fixing it. Sad part is the Honeywell TSats (non-WiFi/RedLink) are worthless, just saw one sell on eBay for a buck. I am looking at a Venstar T7900 for my own setup now. Edited by huddadudda

I've been looking for a Venstar but can't seem to find even a trace of one like the T8900. Seems like they are vapourware..

EDIT: Ooops I just found one at $469...ouch!

Larry the T8900 is a commercial unit. Is there a reason you dont want the T7900 instead? I may have a "in" soon with Venstar. ;)

Larry,

What are you looking for from the T8xxx? As Huddadudda points out, there are additional commercial operations features are added, but no core HVAC value over the T7xxxs. 

Its the T7900 if you want a humidistat or humidify/dehumidify control, ot the T7850 if you don't. Since they are so close in price, the T7900 (with venlink) gives you another point to read humidity even if you don't control it with the stat. 

HVAC Parts warehouse continues to stock all of the new series, if you want an T8900. Its $210 here.

One of the reviews under T7900 says "free shipping in Canada", you may want to check that out.

Paul

Edited by paulbates

Larry,

What are you looking for from the T8xxx? As Huddadudda points out, there are additional commercial operations features are added, but no core HVAC value over the T7xxxs. 

Its the T7900 if you want a humidistat or humidify/dehumidify control, ot the T7850 if you don't. Since they are so close in price, the T7900 (with venlink) gives you another point to read humidity even if you don't control it with the stat. 

HVAC Parts warehouse continues to stock all of the new series, if you want an T8900. Its $210 here.

One of the reviews under T7900 says "free shipping in Canada", you may want to check that out.

Paul

Thanks Paul.

Unfortunately the $190 turns out to be $419 after participation in their RipUglobex shipping program. This is the same baloney that eBay is ripping foreign importers off with. Now our dollar is caving with the oil prices but adding on huge amounts to the already quoted $23 to ship UPS to Canada is ridiculous.

I'll be watching closer for other sources but I have t make sure this stat has the capability to run my heating systems.