Synchrolinc setup for washer/dryer help please

JSP0511

Hey everyone!

How would I go about setting up a program to notify me when the sychrolinc has sensed the washer and/or dryer as going on then off signifying a completed cycle to them text me?

I already have the text address and subject setup, just not sure how to set up the program to recognize the on then off to trigger the notification.

Thanks in advance!

Jerry

Warning...I don't have a synchrolinc, so I am making educated guesses here.

I assume that the synchrolinc can act as a controller in a scene, so this suggests that you could use a "control" or "status" condition. If you want to send a text when the synchrolinc changes from ON to OFF, try:

if

status synchrolinc is off

then

send notification to 'xxxx" content 'yyyyy'

else

I assume that the synchrolinc can act as a controller in a scene, so this suggests that you could use a "control" or "status" condition. If you want to send a text when the synchrolinc changes from ON to OFF, try:

if

then

else

The synchrolinc basically has a status of on or off. If I use the above program, would the system see the on state back to off and count that as a new message trigger?

The synchrolincs will be off 99% of the time since we do laundry a few times a week.

If I use the above program, would the system see the on state back to off and count that as a new message trigger?

The way "status" conditions work is that they trigger on any CHANGE in status. In other words, this would trigger from off-to-on and from on-to-off.

Once triggered, the evaluation would be true (run then) when on-to-off, and false (run else) when off-to-on. Since there is nothing in the ELSE clause, nothing will happen when change status to ON.

I believe this will do what you asked for.

If I use the above program, would the system see the on state back to off and count that as a new message trigger?

The way "status" conditions work is that they trigger on any CHANGE in status. In other words, this would trigger from off-to-on and from on-to-off.

Once triggered, the evaluation would be true (run then) when on-to-off, and false (run else) when off-to-on. Since there is nothing in the ELSE clause, nothing will happen when change status to ON.

I believe this will do what you asked for.

Should I change the IF to Status is "Responding"? Then add what you stated prior to the then and else statements?

if

then

else

After adjusting the synchrolinc, your program suggestion seems to work. Thank you.

You might put a wait in there because of pauses between cycles. This may or may not be necessary depending on how much power the washer draws while it pauses between cycles.

If

Then

wait 30 seconds

notify

In this example, the synchrolinc would have to be off for 30 continuous seconds before it sends the notify. If it were to turn back on before the 30 seconds, it would never send the notify. The next time it shuts off for 30 continuous seconds it would send.

In order to do what you want, you need something like this.

IF

status changed to OFF

AND device was on for more than five minutes

THEN

send email

ELSE

do nothing

I just don't know how to write this in ISY code.

I could test this as well. So far, for my one wash and one drying cycle, the simple if off, then send message worked through 30min or so cycles. This doesn't mean the program will work perfectly every time but I will obviously monitor it and make any necessary changes.

Thanks again everyone!

IF

status changed to OFF

THEN

send email

ELSE

do nothing

I only think that this would be necessary if the washer/dryer for some reason consumed power intermittently when not in use. I don't think they do this, but there are lots of brands with lot of different ways they function. I do know that the amount of power consumed while in use goes up and down by a lot depending on what cycle and if it is in one of the short pauses between cycles. Perhaps all of these issues can be rectified by simply fine tuning the power threshold that synchrolink sees as "on" or "off".

IF

status changed to OFF

THEN

send email

ELSE

do nothing

I only think that this would be necessary if the washer/dryer for some reason consumed power intermittently when not in use. I don't think they do this, but there are lots of brands with lot of different ways they function. I do know that the amount of power consumed while in use goes up and down by a lot depending on what cycle and if it is in one of the short pauses between cycles. Perhaps all of these issues can be rectified by simply fine tuning the power threshold that synchrolink sees as "on" or "off".

I agree. I currently have the threshold set to 10 watts which could be why a full cycle didn't net multiple off notifications. I have an LG front loading washer and dryer, both about a year old. I'm assuming since the unit is completely off when not in use that i could technically set the threshold down to 1 watt to avoid any issues. I may test that first if I start getting false off notifications.

Ah yes. Using the wattage threshold would do what you want.

Normally the dryer will shut off after drying. Then a set time later, it will run on and run in what is known as "wrinkle-guard" mode. On my dryer, this turns the drum but does not turn on the heat. If you have an electric dryer the wattage will remain low. Not sure how well this will work on a gas dryer.

Ah yes. Using the wattage threshold would do what you want.

Normally the dryer will shut off after drying. Then a set time later, it will run on and run in what is known as "wrinkle-guard" mode. On my dryer, this turns the drum but does not turn on the heat. If you have an electric dryer the wattage will remain low. Not sure how well this will work on a gas dryer.

Our LG is gas and the power as far as the LED screen is concerned is on the entire cycle. Once the cycle is complete, it plays some pretty music and completely shuts off. Thats when I want my notification which seemed to work last night at 10 watts threshold (lowered it to 5 today).

The washer should be easy since the pauses are short and the machine shuts off completely when the cycle is over.

You might have more issues with the dryer since it is gas. You won't be able to set the threshold high enough to only recognize the heat elements. You need it to recognize the drum turning motor. You would want the notification to occur the first time the drum stops turning. But then it will trigger again like it is a new load when the drum turns for the wrinkle guard. The key I think here would be to have it not send a notification until it has been on for a period of time that exceed the wrinkle guard run time.

Lets say wrinkle gaurd runs for 30 seconds.

If

status synchrolinc is on

Then

wait 40 seconds

enable program 2

Program 2

If

Then

notify

disable program 2

I believe this should solve the problem. You will need to manually disable program 2 the first time you do this. After that it will disable itself.

EDIT: I just checked out the synchrolinc page at SH, and it looks like it has a built-in delay on it. That may solve your issue right there, unless the wrinkle guard runs longer than the 38 second max delay time. I thought it might be nice for my house as well, but I have a 240 dryer which would complicate matters seeing as synchrolinc is 120.

Archived