Houselinc Advice

Hello,

I have decided to play with houselinc to see if I can't work out some comm bugs in my system as well as program my new synchrolincs. i have plugged my com port from my pc into my PLM and it has linked. Now, I don't want to screw up my PLM from the standpoint of my ISY. It appears that houselinc will need to do a sync with my network to pick up all the scenes and devices. Is it safe to do a sync or will my plm get all messed up? What should I be careful of here?

Any advice appreciated.

From what I have seen. It will mess up the links in the PLM if it is the same one you are using on your ISY Setup.

I believe after all your tests. You can then do a restore PLM and it will clear out the PLMs Link Database and put back the ISY known ones.

Some folks use a different PLM and in that case. Extra links end up in your Insteon Modules.

From what I have seen. It will mess up the links in the PLM if it is the same one you are using on your ISY Setup.

I believe after all your tests. You can then do a restore PLM and it will clear out the PLMs Link Database and put back the ISY known ones.

Some folks use a different PLM and in that case. Extra links end up in your Insteon Modules.

Brian is spot on here.

In the past I had a hybrid environment running the SmartLinc, Houselinc, and the ISY. The system ran perfectly fine with the SmartLinc until they all died. :evil:

The HouseLinc is best to use with a spare PLM.

I went through the whole PLM restore etc. But it was too time consuming and in different releases of HL it made some real damage to my whole Insteon Network. It changed some of the half links and whole links in the ISY where scenes were either broken or lost.

The HL diagnostic is fantastic but great care is needed to deploy this correctly, good luck!

Teken . . .

apostolakisl

The HL diagnostic is good for someone who knows little to nothing about the way the Insteon network is operating. You have done so much work in analyzing your network you may find the work to get the HL set up, versus what you learn, versus what you have to do to cleanup afterward may be disappointing. The HL diagnostics show what devices are working well and those that are not. You already know that information.

Pick one or two devices that are unreliable, factory reset them and add them to HL. See what the HL diagnostics tell you about those devices before moving to a larger collection.

apostolakisl

The HL diagnostic is good for someone who knows little to nothing about the way the Insteon network is operating. You have done so much work in analyzing your network you may find the work to get the HL set up, versus what you learn, versus what you have to do to cleanup afterward may be disappointing. The HL diagnostics show what devices are working well and those that are not. You already know that information.

Pick one or two devices that are unreliable, factory reset them and add them to HL. See what the HL diagnostics tell you about those devices before moving to a larger collection.

OK.

If I wanted to only use this to alter my synchrolinc settings, what would be the best way of going about that. To the best of my knowledge, altering the wattage and timing parameters can only be changed using houselinc. Perhaps a factory reset and delete from ISY of the synchrolinc, then link to houselinc, then re-install on ISY leaving the houselinc stuff on the device?

apostolakisl

OK.

If I wanted to only use this to alter my synchrolinc settings, what would be the best way of going about that. To the best of my knowledge, altering the wattage and timing parameters can only be changed using houselinc. Perhaps a factory reset and delete from ISY of the synchrolinc, then link to houselinc, then re-install on ISY leaving the houselinc stuff on the device?

I can change the settings of my syncrolincs in ISY, there is a button on the GUI when you select the device to do this.

apostolakisl

OK.

I can change the settings of my syncrolincs in ISY, there is a button on the GUI when you select the device to do this.

AHA. The little options button sitting at the bottom of the screen. Didn't notice that. Thanks.

Archived