Turning one light off causes it and another to turn back on

jgorm

I had a weird issue last night. I tried to turn off the outside house lights, and the street lights. I turned the house lights off first, then the street lights. In about 2 seconds the street lights turned back on as well as the house lights. If I turn off the street lights, they go off for a second, then turn back on. the house lights will stay off unless I turn off the street lights, then they both come back on. I unplugged the ISY and they work fine off the switches. Plug the isy back in and they do the same thing. It didn't matter if I turned them off with my phone, or the physical switch. I haven't even been into the ISY control panel for months now and everything worked fine until last night. Any advice?

I agree. Do programs ever get corrupted? Is it possible to change ISY programs over the internet? I can only seem to log on using the actual LAN that the ISY is on, and even my other IP zone that goes through the same final router wont work to access the ISY. As far as changing things, I have only enabled or disabled programs from my phone with no changes to any programs for a couple months.

Is it possible to change ISY programs over the internet?

Yes, though it has been a while since I did this.

Do programs ever get corrupted?

I suspect that programs can get corrupted, but that such corruption would cause a general failure rather than alternative results. But this is just speculation on my part.

I would review the program status and look for any program that "last run" coincided with the uncommanded light action.

Locate the issue first, then work on how it happened. Once the issue is found there may not be another question.

Go to the Programs | Summary display. Right click the first Program name, select Find/Replace looking for the Insteon devices.

I agree. Do programs ever get corrupted? Is it possible to change ISY programs over the internet? I can only seem to log on using the actual LAN that the ISY is on, and even my other IP zone that goes through the same final router wont work to access the ISY. As far as changing things, I have only enabled or disabled programs from my phone with no changes to any programs for a couple months.

You have to set up a port forward on your router. Use the secure port to do this and connect using https://yourroutersexternalipaddress So you would set your router to forward incoming requests on port 443 to local port 443 of the local IP address of your ISY.

It sounds like you may have multiple routers behind your modem/router with multiple LAN's. In this case, life will be much more complicated. The way I know how to do it is to have your modem/router pass your external IP to the router that has the ISY on it. This can be done using the DMZ feature on the modem/router. You might also be able to set your modem/router to bridge mode in which case it becomes a pure modem, but then you can't connect a second router to it. Once the router that is directly attached to ISY has your external IP, then you set the port forward up on that router.

There might be a way to do it using NAT settings where you can tell your modem/router to forward port 443 to the second router which then forward to ISY, but I haven't any idea how to do that. But for sure, if you can get the router that has ISY attached to it to have your external IP, then the port forward on that router will work. This is how I have my Uverse modem/router setup. I also have 2 LAN's, and I have not been able to get anything on the one LAN to talk to the other LAN. In other words, my guest LAN which is hosted by the Uverse modem/router can't communicate with anything on my personal LAN hosted by my VPN router.

There might be a way to do it using NAT settings where you can tell your modem/router to forward port 443 to the second router which then forward to ISY, but I haven't any idea how to do that. But for sure, if you can get the router that has ISY attached to it to have your external IP, then the port forward on that router will work. This is how I have my Uverse modem/router setup. I also have 2 LAN's, and I have not been able to get anything on the one LAN to talk to the other LAN. In other words, my guest LAN which is hosted by the Uverse modem/router can't communicate with anything on my personal LAN hosted by my VPN router.

That is very similar to my setup. I have the 'guest + devices' router based off the cable modem. This is for all my roku's, internet phone, video cameras, etc. All the computers, printers, NAS, etc is behind another NAT/SPI router with higher security. My ISY is on the guest network to simplify things. I can connect to my video cameras from the private network with a different IP range, but not the ISY. Everything on my private network is invisible from the guest network (stealth ports). Probably some port forwarding work I need to do, or not use the myisy link and try using the ip address.

I haven't looked at the programs yet, but I should have time tonight. Thanks for all of your help and suggestions!

I found it. It was my dumb mistake. I had a program that was supposed to be disabled, but after a party where I disabled a number of motion sensor programs, I re-enabled that one too! I renamed the program with disable in the name so I wont do it again. I still have a weird issue where the shopside driveway sensor will turn on the driveway house lights on during the day. It's triggered by that sensor for sure and these are the only programs that reference that sensor. Do you guys see a reason that this would happen? (you will see why the lights kept turning on! haha)

Program = shopside motion trigger

If
       Control 'Shopside driveway-Sensor' is switched On
   And From    Sunset  + 25 minutes and 15 seconds
       To      Sunrise - 25 minutes and 25 seconds (next day)

Then
       Run Program 'Shop side motion action disable!' (If)
       Run Program '1x motion beeps' (Then Path)

Else

Program =Shop side motion action disable

If
       Status  'Driveway street lights' is Off

Then
       Set 'Driveway house lights' On
       Set 'Driveway street lights' On
       Set 'Garage side light' On
       Wait  15 minutes 
       Set 'Driveway house lights' Off
       Set 'Driveway street lights' Off
       Set 'Garage side light' Off

Else
       Set 'Garage side light' On
       Wait  15 minutes 
       Set 'Garage side light' Off

I have had the same problem. I need to disable a bunch of programs for whatever reason (maybe running a scene test) and then when re-enabling you get a little messed up on what is supposed to have been left disabled.

I suppose a feature that might be nice is to have a memory preset for enabled/disabled so you don't have that problem.

I still have a weird issue where the shopside driveway sensor will turn on the driveway house lights on during the day. It's triggered by that sensor for sure and these are the only programs that reference that sensor. Do you guys see a reason that this would happen? (you will see why the lights kept turning on! haha)

Program = shopside motion trigger (superfluous removed)

If
       Control 'Shopside driveway-Sensor' is switched On
   And From    Sunset  + 25 minutes and 15 seconds
       To      Sunrise - 25 minutes and 25 seconds (next day)
Then
       Run Program 'Shop side motion action disable!' (If)
Else

Program =Shop side motion action disable (superfluous removed)

If
       Status  'Driveway street lights' is Off
Then
       Set 'Driveway street lights' On
Else
       Wait  15 minutes 

Just a few observations:

-Your program call has an exclamation mark at the end of the name 'Shop side motion action disable!' and your listed program doesn't. (typo?)

-If 'Shop side motion action disable!' is enabled for external triggers it should flash 'Driveway street lights' as the status is in a negative feedback loop.

- What is in '1x motion beeps' (Then Path)? That should occur during the day. Perhaps a clue there?

-What's with the additional seconds? Testing hangovers? :)

Just a few observations:

-Your program call has an exclamation mark at the end of the name 'Shop side motion action disable!' and your listed program doesn't. (typo?)

Typo here is not possible as the programs in the Run Program statement are chosen from a pick list of existing programs - not freely entered. Also the name is meaningless as all programs are referenced by program ID# under the hood. If you change a program name after it has been referenced elsewhere, all references will update to show the new name automagicly.

-Xathros

Typo here is not possible as the programs in the Run Program statement are chosen from a pick list of existing programs - not freely entered. Also the name is meaningless as all programs are referenced by program ID# under the hood. If you change a program name after it has been referenced elsewhere, all references will update to show the new name automagicly.

-Xathros

The typo was in the forum. Just alerting him they were spelled differently. You never know. :)

Exactly - no effect on the operation of the actual program. This is one reason that we ask that people copy and paste the actual program into a code block rather then re type them into the forum.

I will often type out an example here when I don't have an existing program that is suitable for the example. On occasion I have posted errors that the ISY would have prevented had I built the example program in the console instead.

-Xathros

Just a few observations:

-If 'Shop side motion action disable!' is enabled for external triggers it should flash 'Driveway street lights' as the status is in a negative feedback loop.

- What is in '1x motion beeps' (Then Path)? That should occur during the day. Perhaps a clue there?

-What's with the additional seconds? Testing hangovers? :)

I have the driveway street light on the else path because I leave them on for 2 hours around dusk, but they would turn off in 15 min if I walked past the gate. The only program that calls this program is the one I listed.

1x motion beeps will beep all the light switches in the house to alert me of motion activity. I also have a 2x motion beeps where each switch will beep 2x if someone comes near my front door.

The extra seconds were when I thought I was setting minutes, then was too lazy to change them back.

I noticed that it seems that headlights from cars, or sometimes other lights turning on near the motion sensor will trigger the motion sensors. Has anyone seen anything like this?

I also can't figure out why that same motion sensor will trigger the driveway house lights for about 15 seconds during the day, but not during the night. i think it might be a direct insteon link instead of running off the ISY. I've done the restore links form isy (or something similar) a couple times, but it didn't stop.

Thanks for all of your help!

If your lights are turning on in ways that you dont expect from your programs, confirm by ceching last run time for the program to see if it coincides with the unexpected lighting activation.

Yes, my motion sensors can be activated by cars and leaves and many things.

Archived