Google buys NEST for 3.2 Billion Dollars

Teken

Michel,

I really like you guys, appreciate your fantastic service, and wish you well. But I fear UDI will remain relatively small simply because you will not be able to scale as much as others, or fit in with many future devices. Best of luck to you, and I plan to continue using. But unless a 3rd party app / device keeps you connected to future developments, I fear your "anti cloud" attitude will not produce rewards as great as a different stance. But it's your company - you folks do as you wish. The future will play out as it will, without much regard for any of our personal tastes or desires.

Frankly, with everyone going to the cloud, you can differentiate yourself by stressing the fact that your system data is private.

But I do agree that we are at a tipping point where HA is quickly going from a niche, hobbyist product, to a widely implemented system of the masses. I think the time is right for you to secure some big time financing so that you can scale up and make the adjustments needed to be a leader, else you find yourself in the dust. It is a great product, but having a great product is only half of it.

Thank you both for your input.

madcodger, we are not "anti-cloud", if we were, there would not exist MobiLinc Connect and MobiLic Energy Management Portal (and a few other OEM solutions). What we are is cloud-independent. I am sure you understand the difference so I am not going to bore you more.

apostolakisl, yes, precisely!

With kind regards,

Michel

• 4 weeks later...
As of yesterday, Google's $3.2 billion acquisition of Nest Labs is complete, having receiving early FTC approval last week.

Nest Labs specializes in reinventing common household items in clever ways. The company's Nest Learning Thermostat has been a best seller and its recently released Protect smoke and carbon monoxide alarm launched to considerable acclaim and attention.

Said Google CEO Larry Page, at the announcement last month: "Nest's founders, Tony Fadell and Matt Rogers, have built a tremendous team that we are excited to welcome into the Google family. They're already delivering amazing products you can buy right now--thermostats that save energy and smoke/CO alarms that can help keep your family safe. We are excited to bring great experiences to more homes in more countries and fulfill their dreams."

Nest will continue to operate as an independent company, with Google as its parent.

So it begins . . . :roll:

Teken . ..

Archived