How to structure efficient all off command

pjjameso

Currently have one scene which has all my interior devices. Included in the 'Interior' scene are all the keypad buttons (1-D) and all the controlled devices. Is this the best practice or should i group keypad buttons and devices by room or floor eg a scene for each room/floor and then run a program to set each scene off? Is it necessary to include the devices if the keypad button is already the controller for a device? I realize that i cant just have the controlled device in the scene as then the keypad does not show the correct status. Have a couple of dozen keypads and god knows how many outlets, switches, fanlincs etc. Good thing the wife doesnt see the bills.

Sorry for these basic questions but didnt find a clear answer in the wiki.

I have found some value in have an "all devices" scene. I use this for a couple of reasons, including an ALL-OFF program.

Is it necessary to include the devices if the keypad button is already the controller for a device?

Yes. There are a handful of key concepts that are good to understand with insteon and the ISY. One of those concepts is that turning on or off a controller device from the ISY admin panel will not affect any devices that are a responder to that controller....the only time a device acts as a controller is when it is activated locally (press the button).

Archived