Need help programming dimming based on time

jdm5

:?: Hi All,

Relatively new to ISY / Insteon and loving it.

I have a use case I can't get working:

Two 2477D SwitchLinc dimmers

One 2442-222 Micro dimmer

The Micro Dimmer controls the lighting load, the SwitchLinc dimmers control the Micro Dimmer (the load and line wiring weren't all run out to the switches if that makes sense).

I have a scene: Basement Playroom Lights

The SwitchLincs are both controllers

The Micro dimmer is a responder.

I want to have the dimmer be less during certain times of the day (i.e. from 8PM to 8AM be 40% or something, other times be 100%).

I found http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewtopic.php?p=10667#10667 which describes what I want to do, but I can't get it working. The dimmer consistently goes to 100%

My code (disregard the actual time, using it for testing):

If
       From     7:00:00AM
       To      10:00:00PM (same day)

Then
       In Scene 'Basement Playroom Lights' Set 'Basement Play Light Relay' 40% (On Level)
       In Scene 'Basement Playroom Lights' Set 'Basement Play Light Relay' 4.5 Sec (Ramp Rate)

Else
  - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

The program is enabled, not in a folder, I've set it to run at startup and run the If clause manually to make sure it's applied.

I'm sure I'm doing something silly, but can't figure it out...any help greatly appreciated.

There needs to be more Adjust Scene statements. The two existing Adjust Scene statements affect what happens if the Basement Playroom Lights Scene is used in a Program where the PLM is the Controller. Several more Adjust Scene statements are needed to adjust what happens when either of the two SwitchLincs are the Controller.

Also the On Level and Ramp Rate that should take effect at 10 PM has to be set where the ?? are now.

Then

In Scene 'switchlinc1' Set 'switchlinc1' 40% (On Level)

In Scene 'switchlinc1 'Set 'switchlinc1' 4.5 Sec (Ramp Rate)

In Scene 'switchlinc1' Set 'Basement Play Light Relay' 40% (On Level)

In Scene 'switchlinc1' Set 'Basement Play Light Relay' 4.5 Sec (Ramp Rate)

In Scene 'switchlinc2' Set 'switchlinc1' 40% (On Level)

In Scene 'switchlinc2 'Set 'switchlinc1' 4.5 Sec (Ramp Rate)

In Scene 'switchlinc2' Set 'Basement Play Light Relay' 40% (On Level)

In Scene 'switchlinc2' Set 'Basement Play Light Relay' 4.5 Sec (Ramp Rate)

Else

In Scene 'switchlinc1' Set 'switchlinc1' ??% (On Level)

In Scene 'switchlinc1 'Set 'switchlinc1' ?? Sec (Ramp Rate)

In Scene 'switchlinc1' Set 'Basement Play Light Relay' ??% (On Level)

In Scene 'switchlinc1' Set 'Basement Play Light Relay' ?? Sec (Ramp Rate)

In Scene 'switchlinc2' Set 'switchlinc1' ??% (On Level)

In Scene 'switchlinc2 'Set 'switchlinc1' ?? Sec (Ramp Rate)

In Scene 'switchlinc2' Set 'Basement Play Light Relay' ??% (On Level)

In Scene 'switchlinc2' Set 'Basement Play Light Relay' ?? Sec (Ramp Rate)

And in addition to what LeeG said above, if the lights are on at the times the scene is changed and you want the lights to dim or brighten automaticaly, you will need to add another program with a "Set Scene 'Basement Playroom Lights' On" command scheduled for the times above - or maybe a few seconds after the times above to ensure the scene adjust runs first. Simply adjusting the scene parameters does not change the current on level - you must set the scene on again after the change.

-Xathros

I have some similar situations and use two scenes, one with the responder set to 90%, one at 50%. Timers adjust the light by activating the scenes at different times of the day.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13439

So, you could make a basement playroom lights 100% scene and a 40% scene. Then have a couple of programs.

If time is from 8p to 8a next day

And (control is switched on or control is switched fast on or control is fade up orr other control is switched on, etc)

Then set scene 40% on

If time is 8a to 8p

And (control is switched on or other control is switched on)

Then set scene 100 on.

Set your ramp rates in each scene.

Anyway, there are a couple of ways to do this. I can post actually programs this weekend if that will help.

Eric

EricK beat me to it, but his is the approach I suggest, as well. Set up two scenes and invoke the proper scene based upon time.

Only down sides to the multi-scene approach is the delay caused by waiting for a program to respond to the local control then set the scene on. And, in a situation where a local control is also the load controller, you will see the lights turn on to the locally set onlevel and ramp rate then change a second or so later when the program sets the other values.

Using the adjust scene method allows instant reaction to a local control. This is my preferred method for switch type controls.

I use the multi scene method with motion sensors and door sensors as the triggering controls.

There are pros and cons to either method. You just need to pick what works best for you.

-Xathros

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses - I'll try them out this weekend and report back.

I have successfully implemented a boiler temperature monitor using the CAI Webcontrol and have the ISY alerting me if it drops below a threshold, I plan on writing that up and sharing it with the community.

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses - I'll try them out this weekend and report back.

Xathros is correct, and I could have misunderstood your intentions. If you plan to initiate light levels at certain times, then I stand by my original assessment. If, however, your intention is to change the levels that your lights turn on in response to a local button press, then there would be a noticeable delay if using separate scenes and programs.

It works!

I used LeeG's suggestion based on the followup comments and have it working now:

If
       From     8:00:00AM
       To       9:00:00PM (same day)

Then
       In Scene 'Basement Play Light Relay' Set 'Basement Play Light Relay' 25% (On Level)
       In Scene 'Basement Play Light Sw1' Set 'Basement Play Light Sw1' 25% (On Level)
       In Scene 'Basement Play Light Sw1' Set 'Basement Play Light Relay' 25% (On Level)
       In Scene 'Basement Play Light Sw2' Set 'Basement Play Light Sw2' 25% (On Level)
       In Scene 'Basement Play Light Sw2' Set 'Basement Play Light Relay' 25% (On Level)

Else
       In Scene 'Basement Play Light Relay' Set 'Basement Play Light Relay' 90% (On Level)
       In Scene 'Basement Play Light Sw1' Set 'Basement Play Light Relay' 90% (On Level)
       In Scene 'Basement Play Light Sw1' Set 'Basement Play Light Sw1' 90% (On Level)
       In Scene 'Basement Play Light Sw2' Set 'Basement Play Light Relay' 90% (On Level)
       In Scene 'Basement Play Light Sw2' Set 'Basement Play Light Sw2' 90% (On Level)

I didn't realize I had to setup scene's for each of the switches, with the controller as a responder in each scene.

I haven't added the ramp times yet (excited it works!) but will.

Thank you all for your help!

As an FYI, setting the values in each Controller (Sw1 and Sw2) is actually setting the Local On Level values. Even though these devices are not physically controlling a load (nothing connected to Red wire), setting the Local On Level in each Controller insures that when a paddle is pressed the status LEDs in the Controllers reflect what the Responder is doing.

When using Adjust Scene statements it gives one a better sense of just how much work the ISY does when defining an ISY Scene. It is not always understood just how many different device and Responder link record values are managed by an ISY Scene definition.

Thanks for taking the time to post back.

Archived