Admin console freezes when left running

clyford454

Hello, I am new to the forum. I have searched for this problem but no luck finding a thread.

Equipment and software:

ISY 994i/Pro

Firmware: 4.4.2.2

UI: v.4.0.11

Java: Version 7 Update 55

Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit

Issue: If I leave the admin console running unattended it is usually frozen when I return. Is this caused by the PC sleeping? All of the buttons are gray and it will do nothing except shut down with the corner x. One note, I recently upgraded the firmware and Java, before that the problem was the same but then I had to actually force shut down with task manager, no controls worked in the admin console. Any help would be appreciated. No other issues, just tired of re-starting all the time.

Hello again.

I cleared Java as suggested. I then try and start Admin Console through the dashboard and it is blocked by windows. "Publisher no recognized"

I have a shortcut link I installed on my task bar that goes direct to the Admin Console (can't remember where I got it), if I click it, it re-down loads the same old 4.0.11 console and it runs fine. How to get to 4.2.2 is less than clear.

Thanks.

Since the last few Java upgrades mine does the same thing. If you leave the PC and it goes to sleep the Amin Console will do nasty things. Sometimes just not closing the Admin Console for a few hours will cause it to act crazy.

It seems after about an hour I have to sign back into the Admin Console. Most times it locks out many functions. It appears normal and sometimes I can edit programs but they won't save or only some edits will save. Sometimes devices can not be mannually controlled or will not update.

After many times of frustration I have learned when I see erratic, nonsense, behaviour from the Admin Console after, especially after leaving it for an extended time, to close it and reload it. Then it behaves as it should.

I never found this behaviour before Java 7 updates. I have not noticed this with Java 8 (64 bit), which is a lot faster and smoother.

The OP is running an Admin Console that is 5-6 releases back level. I think it best to get he system at a level where it should be and then see what symptom remains. I suspect windows going to sleep may be an issue since the ISY is consistently sending device state changes to an Admin Console that is not responding. I would expect that could result in the IP connection closing if the Admin Console is really not responding (asleep).

If the admin console continues to lock up the windows system should not be allowed to sleep to see if that helps.

Hi clyford454,

Just to make sure I understand the issue:

Admin Console freezes IF AND ONLY IF your computer goes to sleep mode?

Please note that Admin Console was not designed to be on all the time and unattended. It was designed for administration and configuration. In any case, please let me know if the issue is only after your computer wakes up from sleep.

With kind regards,

Michel

I have tried this using two different PCs with Java 8u5 and neither displayed the problems I had with Java 7 versions.

A desktop runs Win 7 Pro x64 and sleeps.

A netbook running Win 7 Home x32 sleeps and hibernates.

I have run one trial only, on each, with Java 8u5 installed. On both PCs, when woke up, after sleeping all night (and me too :) ), the Admin Console login box was there, pre-filled in, and all I had to do was push twice to continue as if it never happened. Running UD v4.1.2

Hello larryllix,

Thanks so very much for the feedback.

I am thrilled and at the same time scared: every time Java comes out with a new release, we will have to go through regression testing since it's a given that something else will break. As such, I would sincerely appreciate it if you could keep an eye and let me know if you see any other anomalies.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hello larryllix,

Thanks so very much for the feedback.

I am thrilled and at the same time scared: every time Java comes out with a new release, we will have to go through regression testing since it's a given that something else will break. As such, I would sincerely appreciate it if you could keep an eye and let me know if you see any other anomalies.

With kind regards,

Michel

The short timeframe of the Java updates has to tell us something. I noticed flakey operation ever since I updated to v4.1.2. I noticed other areas operating a bit weird so I figured it was the new Java7u55 I had to install with the ISY update.

I found the Java 8u5 version and installed on one PC but when I went back to update another PC the next day Java 8u5 version didn't exist. I wondered if bugs were found and it was pulled temporarily as it is back again.

I believe Java 8u5 is the first 64 bit version also, something they originally reported they wouldn't support. Seems to be sudden new market drive from Oracle lately.

Hello Michel,

"Just to make sure I understand the issue:

Admin Console freezes IF AND ONLY IF your computer goes to sleep mode?"

I believe this is the case. I was not aware the AC was not intended to be left open, I like it up for control from my PC. One slight improvement since the beginning, although I still have to re-start it, with the latest version I do not have to use Task Manager, the corner X works so it is a simple re-start.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have found it to hang and the only way out was the Task Manager, yesterday after the netbook (Win 7 x32) went into hibernation and shut down. It came back up and all the windows were there but completely hung with no response to anything. Task Manager was necessary to kill the app. Java 8 installed. I can't remember it doing this only after sleeping with Java 8 though.

Archived