email notification when isy994 enters safe mode?

wmcneil

Is it possible to get an email notification when the isy994 enters safe mode? I have two isy994 in two different houses, and both will occasionally go into safe mode with a message that they can't communicate with the plm. Rebooting the isy always solves the problem (so far). While this is an infrequent occurrence, it is essential that I be able to be made aware of it remotely.

Hi wmcneil,

Do you have this problem with both? Please note that ISY can only go to safe mode when it's rebooted. So, is it the case that ISY reboots and then goes to safe mode? Do you have many power outages?

In short, ISY goes into safe mode if and only if it cannot communicate with the PLM at boot up. So, if that's indeed the case, then I would suspect that the PLM is not coming back up after a power outage.

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel,

I would not normally have many power outages, and I am using a UPS, but in both cases, due to construction, it is certainly possible that entering safe mode occurred after a reboot of the ISY. That said, my point remains. Part of the reason I am using the ISY is to provide remote management of my houses, and for that function, it is important that notification be available, even when the event is rare. Another point is that PLMs go bad after a few years, and that is another rare event that also requires remote notification for the remote use model. So I would ask that you consider adding email notification of loss of communication with the PLM as a optional feature. I would think that the event would need to be triggered by loss of communication with the PLM over some time interval, maybe 15 minutes. The duration of the persistence of the outage could be made a parameter that the user specifies.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Yes, will pleasure. This said, would you be kind enough to let me know whether or not you have this issue with both ISYs or just one?

And, again, ISY will not be able to figure out PLM is not responding unless it's rebooted. So, the email notifications will not come while ISY is running.

With kind regards,

Michel

This sounds like more arguments for more system variable user access in programmes. There must be something in the internal system flags to indicate a failure to communicate with the PLM.

Users could easily write programmes to send notifications based on that flag and/or reboot the ISY several times in attempts to recover without human intervention, especially in the case of remote systems.

Hi Bill,

Yes, will pleasure. This said, would you be kind enough to let me know whether or not you have this issue with both ISYs or just one?

And, again, ISY will not be able to figure out PLM is not responding unless it's rebooted. So, the email notifications will not come while ISY is running.

With kind regards,

Michel

I have had this issue with both of my ISYs. I am certain one scenario was a PLM that had gone bad. The point is that the PLM is not a high-reliability device, so for the remote user, it is very important that the ISY have a mechanism to detect failure of communication with the PLM, and provide notification of that failure. If the only way the ISY detects/reports that PLM communication has stopped is upon reboot, then there is no way for the remote user to know that the problem has occurred.

Hi wmcneil,

Thank you. In the meantime, you can assign a couple of your most reliable devices as status flags and have a program based on the Responding (i.e. is not Responding) condition. This will basically tell you if ISY has problems communicating with those devices and thus warn you against a possible PLM issue.

With kind regards,

Michel

I would suggest you purchase a remote power switch. This device would allow you to remotely turn the power on, off, or cycle power. Many of them have the ability to ping an attached network device.

Upon failed ping response (which the user defines) the remote power switch would cycle the power. The only problem I have seen with these devices is that some devices will indeed ping back even when the hardware is in sort locked up state.

Just another alternative solution for those looking into this area.

Teken . . .

Michel,

I assume that my 2413S PLM has died (2 years and 2 months after purchase) since the ISY did go into safe mode when I rebooted remotely. Recently, the PLM has been running very hot! Smarthome suggested that I perform a factory reset on the PLM. I have little hope that that will work.

I was advised to (1) unplug everything, (2) plug the connecting cable into the PLM, (3) plug the PLM into 110v, (4) plug the ISY into 110v. Then, I am to log in and do a restore modem. Is this the procedure for the rebooted PLM and the new PLM? Will I lose my previous programming!

Please advise.

Thanks.

Harold

I would have little faith in a Factory reset doing anything.

When mine got flaky. I unplugged it for 12 hours and it then worked for maybe 5 days then crashed again.

Next time I tried it it was running for maybe an hour then the LED again went out.

I would say. Get a new PLM.

Appearing to run extra warm would also indicate something is failing and getting warmer than normal.

That is the procedure for reloading the existing PLM.

Here is the Wiki link (section 6.1) for replacing PLM.

http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index ... _.28PLM.29

NEVER Delete Modem (PLM).

Neither rebuilding old PLM link database (first case) nor replacing PLM (second case) will lose any programming. Be sure to have a current ISY backup. Rebuilding the old PLM link database takes a few minutes. Replacing the PLM is a much longer process because every device has to be changed to the new PLM address. Do not worry about the battery devices when initially replacing PLM. After initial work is complete all the battery devices will be marked with pending operations. Put ONE battery device into linking mode and select Write Updates to Device. When that battery device update is complete take it out of linking mode, put the next battery device into linking mode and do a Write Updates to Device. Proceed one battery device at a time being sure to take the current battery device out of linking mode before proceeding to the next.

wmcneil-

I think it is possible to flash your 994 with the 994Z (zigbee) series firmware. The Z series firmware does not enter safe mode when no PLM is detected at startup. This would allow the ISY to operate in the event of a PLM failure at power up. As mentioned above, you can use a test of "Responding" against one or more Insteon devices to determine the PLM status and notify based on the outcome.

Michel-

Can you confirm that this is a viable approach?

-Xathros

Edited to correct typo.

Archived