Irrigation Requirement 4.2.4 Question

jmed999

Seems like pre 4.2.4 the irrigation requirement had a negative cap on it. So if I got 1" inch of rain it didn't go -1.0". In 4.2.4 this isn't the case.

For example, a couple days ago we got about 1" of rain. My current evapo is about 0.1" per day. My current irrigation requirement is -0.7". This means in about 10 days my irrigation system will be activated through programs which require the irrigation req to be 0.3". That 1 inch of rain was great but my lawn will be very dry if I count on that 1" to keep my lawn watered for ~13 days.

Am I missing something here or did the irrigation req negative cap go away in 4.2.4?

Thanks!

I also noticed the large negative values. I'm not an expert on these types of watering algorithms, but it doesn't seem like the outcome of the change is ideal for keeping lawns watered on a somewhat regular basis.

Could users that were having problems before use the new 24 hour rain forecast data to help with overwatering? I know I am using it to prevent irrigation if more than a quarter inch is expected in the next 24 hours.

You would write a program with your own negative cap and have it reset the variables.

If
       Module 'Climate' Irrigation Requirement <= 0 inches

Then
       Irrigation - Reset Variables

Else
  - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

As a side note, Michel; negative values are not selectable from the Irrigation Requirement menu.

Glad I saw this thread - this has had me scratching my head for a few days now...

I've been setting up / observing my newly-purchased irrigation module, and I started on a day when we got just under an inch of rain. Now today, after 3 consecutive sunny 85+ degree days I see that the irrigation requirement is still negative. I'm not yet using these results to schedule my watering, but I'm betting that if I was the sunniest parts of my lawn would be getting pretty crispy...

So forgive the noob question, but does the evapotranspiration value represent the amount of water that needs to be replaced / applied on a daily basis..? If so, I would think that value could be used in conjunction with the Total Rain Today value to come up with a suitable work-around requirement estimate in these situations, no..?

From the Wiki

Evapotranspiration - approximation of the total amount of water leaving via a combination of soil evaporation and plant transpiration.

Irrigation Requirement - amount of water to be applied based on the accumulation of previous day(s) water deficits.

Yesterday's Water Deficit - total amount of water that has evapotranspired during a twenty four hour window from the day before.

You could use Evapotranspiration, but maybe Yesterday's Water Deficit would be better as it would account for any rain in the last 24 hours.

To limit the negative numbers I would make sure your Absorption Factor is set properly. If that 1" of rain is applied to a 50% factor then it will start watering again in 5 days.

The root of the problem looks to not be a cap on the negative value but more on proper settings / trust of the calculation method.

If I may offer another work around.

If Irrigation Requirement is Negative Then
Set State_Negative_Irrigation_Requirment = 1
Else Set State_Negative_Irrigation_Requirment = 0

If State_Negative_Irrigation_Requirment = 1 Then
Wait 72 Hours
Reset Irrigation Variables

Using the above program would allow negative values, but if it did not water for 3 days due to negative values then it would reset it back to 0.

From the Wiki

Evapotranspiration - approximation of the total amount of water leaving via a combination of soil evaporation and plant transpiration.

Irrigation Requirement - amount of water to be applied based on the accumulation of previous day(s) water deficits.

Yesterday's Water Deficit - total amount of water that has evapotranspired during a twenty four hour window from the day before.

You could use Evapotranspiration, but maybe Yesterday's Water Deficit would be better as it would account for any rain in the last 24 hours.

To limit the negative numbers I would make sure your Absorption Factor is set properly. If that 1" of rain is applied to a 50% factor then it will start watering again in 5 days.

The root of the problem looks to not be a cap on the negative value but more on proper settings / trust of the calculation method.

Wait 72 Hours

Using the above program would allow negative values, but if it did not water for 3 days due to negative values then it would reset it back to 0.

Thanks for the info...it has been helpful! BTW, are you the Micheal that Michel was referring too?

From the Wiki

Wait 72 Hours

Sure, I could see where something like this could work, thanks!

And to your other point, I'm not so sure that the my issue isn't lack of faith in the algorithm either. My measuring cups got delivered today... I look forward to getting an accurate output number and then observing and experimenting from there...

Hi jmed999,

What Michael suggested does precisely what we did prior to 4.2.x release.

With kind regards,

Michel

Sorry...who is Michael?

Anyone?

Michel? or Michael?

I'm (a) Michael - just an ISY owner and hobbyist.

I think you may be looking for Michel from UDI though.

Can someone please confirm the previous method (before 4.2.x) of not keeping the irrigation system from going several days after a rain.

Was it,

If
       Module 'Climate' Irrigation Requirement <= 0 inches

Then
       Irrigation - Reset Variables

Else
  - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

or

Wait 72 Hours

Thanks!

When you guys are using the Zone Cups could you do me a favor in the name of science?

I went the el cheapo route and took some square containers and put those out in the yard to measure my output. I also did a GPH/Area conversion on the specs for my heads. Both gave me similar results.

I'm wondering how much of a difference you notice using the specifically designed cups vs an off the shelf container like tupperware. Please note if you decide to do this test you should look for containers around the house that are as shallow as possible with minimal rounding on the bottom.

Archived