Problems communicating

At this point I am at a loss. I have about 45 devices in a 2500 sqft home, about 2/3rds of them are dual-band.

I am having trouble communicating on my network at various times during the day. Sometimes things work and sometimes they don't. The whole network never really shuts down, but it can be kind of flaky. I have put a signallinc on EVERYTHING I could (Refrigerator, all powerstrips, outdoor electrical, garage door, microwave (using the ACT 15A plugin))

At this point I don't know what to do. I feel like any time I try and communicate over the network, there is terrible lag, as if the signal gets there but it takes forever. Could an insteon device on my network be malfunctioning, and sending commands and clogging up my network?

I feel like I have a harder time communicating when my AC is on, is that a known source of signal suck / noise?

I currently do not have any access points, or phase couplers, but I assumed with this many devices within 20ft line of sight from the PLM I wouldn't have a problem especially with so many dual band devices.

I find that device to device communication is superb, if I setup a scene all devices respond without error, almost instantly. The problem I have is with communicating with the PLM and it communicating back. I am on my 4th PLM (I finally realized it's my fault). I have tried turning off breakers until communication started working again (my microwave was a big problem apparently). Is there anything that anyone here might be able to recommend?

I have 2 X-10 devices that I am trying to get working that apparently just don't want to cooperate. They seem to be just fine when I turn them off and then on again from the console, but when I run a program that controls them, I have no luck.

I feel like there is an insteon signal on my network somewhere that is creating cross talk. Is this possible?

Also, I have the Z-wave module, and all of my z-wave devices work flawlessly.

Thanks for your help all.

Q

• 1 month later...

I have found the issue.

I bought 10 cheap dimmable LED lightbulbs back in May, at the same time I also installed an outdoor GFCI outlet, and about 5 other Insteon products. I had suspected the GFCI outlet as the problem and rewired it just to make sure all connections were secure and the unit was not bad. After installing all of the devices I was seeing terrible problems communicating with my Insteon devices during random intervals during the day.

I discovered the problem yesterday when I tried to close my garage door remotely. I had no connection to my garage door. I had a hunch that it was the light bulbs causing the problem because it was one of the devices I installed back in May. I recently put my fishtank light (using one of the cheaper LEDs) on a z-wave switch so I could communicate with it even when the Insteon network was down. (Z-wave has worked flawlessly, btw) I turned off the fishtank light and all of my communication issues were immediately solved. It was awesome. 

I was having a difficult time trying to troubleshoot the issue because I had the lights on so many circuits. I have found that a few of them are worse than others and have since put them on filters (waiting on replacement bulbs). I just want to warn people about LED bulbs and signal suck, I didn't think it would be as large of an issue as it was.

What is the make, style and wattage of the LED bulb(s) that was causing the problem. Was it just the one bulb or were they all problematic?

They're super cheap straight from China, 12 watt dimmable bulbs. I paid $60 for 10 which should have been my first clue. That being said, they're decent for what they are and if I didn't have insteon I would probably continue to use them. 

I've been using CREE led bulbs which are sold online and in Home Depot stores. So far they've been great, no problems and they dim without flicker or noise. the price is about $10 for the 40 and 60 watt equivalent bulbs, the 100 watt equivalent is a bit more.

I've been using CREE led bulbs which are sold online and in Home Depot stores. So far they've been great, no problems and they dim without flicker or noise. the price is about $10 for the 40 and 60 watt equivalent bulbs, the 100 watt equivalent is a bit more.

I have been using the Philips LED bulbs everywhere else in my house without issue, it's only these bulbs that have caused an issue. I just bought 8 Philips bulbs to replace all of these cheap bulbs, $96 for 8 bulbs seems crazy.

Archived