Notification

johne

How is the notification function supposed to work? I have my e-mail address defined, and I have two programs set up to "notify all" when they execute, but so far I haven't seen an e-mail come my way even though the programs have executed several times. I even wrote a test program that does nothing but "notify all" and it doesn't seem to work either.

Hello johne,

You should not need anything else but your email address. Would you be kind enough to look at your log and look for:

With kind regards,

Michel

How is the notification function supposed to work? I have my e-mail address defined, and I have two programs set up to "notify all" when they execute, but so far I haven't seen an e-mail come my way even though the programs have executed several times. I even wrote a test program that does nothing but "notify all" and it doesn't seem to work either.

Hello Michel,

I have run my "test notification" script several times and I'm not getting any of those entries in the log. I did find one "-7029" near the top of the log:

INSTEON Device Control Value Time User Log Type

0 null Fri 08/01/2008 01:23:08 PM System Start

0 null Fri 08/01/2008 01:23:08 PM System -7029

but that's it. I'm inclined to believe that it's not functioning in this release as d_l mentioned.

-John

I think the cause of the original email glitch has probably been fixed on their host servers by now. What I was suggesting was that maybe Universal Devices had hit their monthly quota of SMTP relays earlier this month due to the success of the ISY, e.g. more units sending more notifications filling the purchased quota limit even earlier in the month of August.

Hi johne,

Would you be kind enough to telnet to ISY ( http://www.universal-devices.com/mwiki/ ... o_Your_ISY ) and then issue TM. Let me know if you get the notification.

d_l,

Thanks so very much for the feedback. You are 100% correct ... Yes, indeed we have been reaching our quota but not yet this month.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hello Michel,

I have run my "test notification" script several times and I'm not getting any of those entries in the log. I did find one "-7029" near the top of the log:

INSTEON Device Control Value Time User Log Type

0 null Fri 08/01/2008 01:23:08 PM System Start

0 null Fri 08/01/2008 01:23:08 PM System -7029

but that's it. I'm inclined to believe that it's not functioning in this release as d_l mentioned.

-John

Hi Michel,

I sent the notification using the CLI and the TM command. I have yet to receive an e-mail. I changed my e-mail address to a different account on a different system and tried it again, and so far I haven't seen it.

BTW, why not allow users to enter their own SMTP server and credentials? That may be cheaper and less to support.

-John

Hello johne,

Apologies for a tardy reply.

As a matter of fact, we are working on providing user define SMTP settings; the only remaining obstacle has been supporting TLS which has proven rather difficult (especially if it requires client authentication). This should be available in the next drop (hopefully).

Would you do me a favor? Would you be kind enough to reboot your ISY and see if the TM commands works. I suspect that your router is NOT relaying DNS requests.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi Michel,

I sent the notification using the CLI and the TM command. I have yet to receive an e-mail. I changed my e-mail address to a different account on a different system and tried it again, and so far I haven't seen it.

BTW, why not allow users to enter their own SMTP server and credentials? That may be cheaper and less to support.

-John

I rebooted the ISY, and issued the TM command. Here's the transcript:

http://ISY_IP_ADDRESS>TM

Email: Enter your full email address here,myaddress@mymailserver.com

Send Message (Y/N)Y

Sent the following message:

2008/08/19 05:45:18 Test message from ISY Home Automation device.

http://ISY_IP_ADDRESS>

The difference between yesterday and today is I used a capital "Y" in answering the question, so this test was more hopeful. However, I have yet to see the e-mail message.

Is there a way to check DNS on the ISY? I would be very surprised if my router (running tomato firmware) was causing a problem.

johne,

Thanks so very much for the update. This is getting to be quite a challenging problem. What is your ISY's firmware level?

With kind regards,

Michel

I rebooted the ISY, and issued the TM command. Here's the transcript:

http://ISY_IP_ADDRESS>TM

Email: Enter your full email address here,myaddress@mymailserver.com

Send Message (Y/N)Y

Sent the following message:

2008/08/19 05:45:18 Test message from ISY Home Automation device.

http://ISY_IP_ADDRESS>

The difference between yesterday and today is I used a capital "Y" in answering the question, so this test was more hopeful. However, I have yet to see the e-mail message.

Is there a way to check DNS on the ISY? I would be very surprised if my router (running tomato firmware) was causing a problem.

It's running version 2.6.6.

I now have everything working the way I wanted it, so notifications aren't as important to me as they were a few days ago. So we can put this issue on the back burner if it's taking up resources that could be better used (e.g. having an X10 device page). :D

Hello johne,

Thanks so very much but this is really odd because notifications SHOULD work. Before we completely give up, is it perhaps possible that your router has a firewall that blocks HTTP requests from unknown devices on your network?

With kind regards,

Michel

It's running version 2.6.6.

I now have everything working the way I wanted it, so notifications aren't as important to me as they were a few days ago. So we can put this issue on the back burner if it's taking up resources that could be better used (e.g. having an X10 device page). :D

Hi Michel,

I'm running the Tomato firmware on a Buffalo home router/firewall, and it doesn't block any outbound (Internet-bound) traffic on any port. It can do DNS, and it also passes DNS requests if a client chooses to use a different DNS server.

I changed the logging level to ALL on the router and tried to send another TestMessage from the ISY. This allows me to see any inbound or outbound traffic, and which traffic is blocked and which traffic is allowed. I see two communications (both TCP) from the ISY. The first one goes to my ISP's DNS servers, and the second communication goes to "Abacus America, Inc.". Both communications are allowed, and I was unable to find any inbound communication destined for the ISY.

-John

Hi johne,

Thanks so very much ... this confirms that:

a. ISY is able to resolve universal-devices.com

b. It actually does send the packet to our server

The last test, if you don't mind, would be to include my email address to the list of recipients (tech@universal-devices.com). I really appreciate all the time you are taking to diagnose this issue.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi Michel,

I'm running the Tomato firmware on a Buffalo home router/firewall, and it doesn't block any outbound (Internet-bound) traffic on any port. It can do DNS, and it also passes DNS requests if a client chooses to use a different DNS server.

I changed the logging level to ALL on the router and tried to send another TestMessage ™ from the ISY. This allows me to see any inbound or outbound traffic, and which traffic is blocked and which traffic is allowed. I see two communications (both TCP) from the ISY. The first one goes to my ISP's DNS servers, and the second communication goes to "Abacus America, Inc.". Both communications are allowed, and I was unable to find any inbound communication destined for the ISY.

-John

Hi Michel,

I added your e-mail address, as well as several others of my own and I ran my test program again, and I actually received a message at 2 of the 3 in-boxes. Did you receive a "test" message?

If you don't mind, I'm going to leave the notify list the way it is overnight. I have two programs that are supposed to send notifications (one when it gets dark outside, and one when it gets bright outside). I'll remove your ID if notifications start working.

BTW, I had a real hard time adding e-mail recipients to that notification list. For some reason the "add" button doesn't always work for me.

-John

Hi John,

Now that we finally got notifications to work (miraculously), let's get to figure out why you can not add email recipients. Is it the Add function or the Save function that does not work properly?

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi Michel,

I added your e-mail address, as well as several others of my own and I ran my test program again, and I actually received a message at 2 of the 3 in-boxes. Did you receive a "test" message?

If you don't mind, I'm going to leave the notify list the way it is overnight. I have two programs that are supposed to send notifications (one when it gets dark outside, and one when it gets bright outside). I'll remove your ID if notifications start working.

BTW, I had a real hard time adding e-mail recipients to that notification list. For some reason the "add" button doesn't always work for me.

-John

Hi Michel,

If I go to the configuration page and add an e-mail address, and then press the save button, I'm unable to add another address because the "add" and "save" buttons are disabled.

That's really it. As long as you don't press the save button, you can keep adding addresses.

Either way, it is working now. Thanks!

-John

If I go to the configuration page and add an e-mail address, and then press the save button, I'm unable to add another address because the "add" and "save" buttons are disabled.

I think what John is reporting is just a little interface quirk. The Add and Save buttons are disabled until you explicitly select "Regular Email" (or another entry) from the list of email providers.

-Jim

Jim, yes ... you're 100% correct.

John, I do take the blame for this interface quirk ... hopefully, one of these days we'll have enough time to totally revamp our GUI!

With kind regards,

Michel

I think what John is reporting is just a little interface quirk. The Add and Save buttons are disabled until you explicitly select "Regular Email" (or another entry) from the list of email providers.

-Jim

Archived