Repair of 2413S PLM When the Power Supply Fails

danu1964

Amazon showing V2.3.

If it is a 2413S that is old . I got a V2.4 sometime last year.

If it was the 2413U. I have seen on the Insteon Forums. There was no V2.4. When the latest ones are shipping. The 2413U will jump from V2.3 to  V2.5.

Glad to read the V2.5 is starting to get into the pipe line.

• 1 month later...
52 minutes ago, LFMc said:

Smarthome has the 2413S currently at 50% off with no sale expiration date.  Has anyone gotten a V 2.5 yet from SH? Or are they dumping 2.4 inventory? 

Thanks for pointing the sale out. I got the email but did not see this listed at the bottom. I repaired my PLM well over a year ago and never had a spare. Placed my order for one and will post what version when received.

FYI, the sale has an expiration date. At the bottom of the email is the statement “Special pricing valid through Wednesday 4/17/19(11:59pm PST); or while supplies last.”

I read the material at SH. It appears to be a dumping effort. I tried some searches to see if there is a replacement product. I did not find any.

Price difference is too big for them.

UDI also discounted significantly.

There might be a new generation of "stuff".

I am betting that 2.5 will replace what is left over that eventually sells for $1.99. May be a new UD interface.

I am still really annoyed that I got a V2.4 a number of months ago to replace a failed 2413S. This is the fourth one of these things that have broken and had to be replaced. I have not installed the new 2.4. I will take a shot and return the 2.4 when the 2.5 appears. I was seriously annoyed by getting a 2.4.

We do not own them; we just rent them !!!

Maybe someone should just program a "Insteon Node server" with a Pi RF interface to avoid the PLM altogether. Then they could do a Z-Wave node server next so I can add Z-wave to my full ISY 994i-ZS Zigbee unit. Imagine, no more PLMs and no more modules. We could use Robert's RF Node server as the starting point:  :-D

Hi @LFMc

@evilpete  Has done this in the past using a more capable version of the TI Radio, the CC1111.  I believe the CC1111 is included on the Yardstick One Transceiver.  The cheap CC1101 I am using for emulating fan remotes is not capable of doing this because of it's limited packet formatting options.  The CC1111 allows the user to rewrite it's internal firmware which is why it is capable of doing the Inst1on protocol.  Also, the Yard Stick One is about $100 the last time I looked... making a PLM more economical.

EvilPete's library and docs are here:  https://github.com/evilpete/insteonrf 

Unfortunately, in my experimentation with the Yard Stick One and EvilPete's libraries, it wasn't nearly as reliable as the PLM.

-Robert

34 minutes ago, rl1965 said:

Unfortunately, in my experimentation with the Yard Stick One and EvilPete's libraries, it wasn't nearly as reliable as the PLM.

Reliability, seriously? I'm running full on Insteon on everything. Why would I start now worrying about reliability?  :-9

@LFMc,

19 hours ago, LFMc said:

Maybe someone should just program a "Insteon Node server" with a Pi RF interface to avoid the PLM altogether. Then they could do a Z-Wave node server next so I can add Z-wave to my full ISY 994i-ZS Zigbee unit. Imagine, no more PLMs and no more modules. We could use Robert's RF Node server as the starting point:  :-D

Right on!

With kind regards,
Michel

Just got a "new" PLM in from Smarthome.  The version is still 2.4.  Being the date code is 4716, I guess they sent me a 2-1/2 year old unit as a "new" one.  Buyer beware.  Now to decide if I want to waste time and breath arguing with their support over it or not.

image.png.45ec39e82c259f53ea4af3bbf6207e4e.png

My PLM is due to arrive tomorrow. Will probably get the same version. I placed an order for another ISY w/PLM the day after my PLM order. Will be interesting to see what version that PLM will be.

I thought I had submitted this piece. Found it odd, that I could not find it. Just tried to make a comment and realized I never submitted it. That was a while ago, and others have gone essentially the same way, but I will just put it on the thread now as long as I have written it, and it may be interesting to some.

The idea of a Pi base computer network would seem to be very  desirable. The Pi universe is more powerful, more updatable, inexpensive, and more likely to attract  code and hardware enthusiasts than any similar system. There are other small computer devices and processors. But overall I would strongly favor the Pi universe. It is easy to stack simple and inexpensive function plug-ins. It should be easy and inexpensive to have custom plug-ins made. Useful ones may well be found online.

If UD could port their code to a Pi (operable with a range of Pi's) , it could present a lower hardware cost for UD/SH. Potentially get more knowledgeable people to participate on the new platform relieving pressure on UD services, and under UD management, could provide a site with a variety of devices (with open source submissions) working on the Pi with UD code.This moves the UD code to be independent of devices served. And the Pi series, has pretty much all the storage and code space that you can use.  Marketing could potentially sell a series of Pi based devices.

I don't know the financial aspect of such a move, but as a sort of generally open source project, it could be very useful. And selling little Pi boxes and kits could be a revenue stream. A whole lot of potential buyers of the system are likely to buy a packaged box from UD just like the existing boxes. But there would also likely be a significant number of hobbyists to advance and maybe support the product. An actual functional, reliable power line interface would be really nice. Maybe a inexpensive Pi zero to scatter around the house for radios. Multiple radio plugins to cover all the desired radio (and powerline) protocols. Code in the Pi. Maybe a couple of device sizes to host the plugins for different user needs. Could be a device working across the range of the various marketed systems. Good way to allow a move from one invested system to another, while having support for both.

My perspective. Right now, the revenue I see for UD is selling the interface hardware/software. Just as they do now, but versions of Pi in a box. It is a closed environment now: but everything else is free support. This, of course, absolutely requires keeping commercial selling systems. Manufacture it in China and you should have a decent mark-up. Of course there would still be the issue of various proprietary patents and interfaces. A universal solution  may not be doable with other system vendors.

On 4/22/2019 at 12:03 PM, LFMc said:

Just got a "new" PLM in from Smarthome.  The version is still 2.4.  Being the date code is 4716, I guess they sent me a 2-1/2 year old unit as a "new" one.  Buyer beware.  Now to decide if I want to waste time and breath arguing with their support over it or not.

image.png.45ec39e82c259f53ea4af3bbf6207e4e.png

FYI, received my PLM today with the same revision/date code. - Rev 2.4, 4716

1 minute ago, MikeD said:

FYI, received my PLM today with the same revision/date code. - Rev 2.4, 4716

November, 2016, really? I think they found these NOS PLMs in a shipping container that fell off a cargo ship from China that floated on to shore a couple of years later. :wub:

I guess at some point they had to re-open the landfill to fill orders.

Or maybe there is a lonely guy buried in a back room frantically fixing 2413's before the end of the fiscal year.

Perhaps an effort to open up the 2413's and see if they have been repaired or have alternate innards. If a bunch are different/repaired, I think there may be some issues that need to be explained by SH. I do not think you can sell repaired equipment without  notifying buyers that they are not getting original factory retail devices. There is also something odd about the range of build dates.

It would be nice if SH did some explanations of what is going on.

• 2 weeks later...

The v2.4 I bought last year is having trouble communicating with devices now. Only 11 months after purchase.  Hoping I'll get a warranty replacement, but not getting hopes up of a 2.5, or that 2.5 is even any better.

• 1 month later...
On 2/18/2019 at 4:34 PM, Harold said:

The person I talked at Insteon definitely said there were 2413 2.5 units. He said I could get 2.4 or 2.5. It would appear they exist but are busy blowing out old inventory.

I was told last week by Insteon support that 2.5's are not yet released.

Without reading through all 20 pages of this thread, is there a single place one can goto that has a good summary, parts list, step by step, etc on how to make this repair?

Mine is a version 2.4 and it's the second 2.4 that has failed on me.

Here's a 2.5 I just got today. Note, they're not shipping quite yet so don't expect a 2.5 if you just order the normal way.

C7 and C13 are definitely the larger 100 uF ones that folks have been upgrading on their own. The others don't look to have changed but I was basing that off of visual comparison of photos of older units. 

506980432_i-92sbbRt-X51.thumb.jpg.db4c9feaddcaa61bc76aaaf034ea4b1d.jpg

Archived