2420M Motion detector setup

sanders2222

Just when I think I got everything figured out.  I had a battery in an Insteon motion detect (IMD) go bad a month or so ago.  At any rate, the IMD has performed for years in it's postion, only requiring a new battery every year of so.

I replaced the bat and the device shows it is registering motion.  However, I cannot get the ISY to recognize the device.  I can hold the button inside the device a few seconds and it looks like it goes into linking mode (flash on every second).  If I hold the button another few seconds, it flashes off every second.  Press the button again it it stops.   It appears to link but then the attached message pops up.  No matter what flashing mode it's in, it will not link.

post-1132-0-23875700-1412024089_thumb.png

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Having to replace the battery should not have lost the links to the PLM.

To add the Motion Sensor to the ISY it cannot already be defined to the ISY.    Use New INSTEON Device (as you have been).  Before clicking Ok on the popup put the motion sensor into linking mode with a single press and hold of Motion Sensor Set button for 4-5 seconds.  Then click Ok.  

That message indicates the motion sensor either was not in linking mode before or is not in range of a Dual Band device.

Also check device address is correct.   Those labels can be easily misread. 

In addition to the above comments, holding the set button for a few seconds puts the MS into linking mode, a second hold while it's still blinking put the MS into unlinking mode. A third tap puts it back into ready mode.

Having to replace the battery should not have lost the links to the PLM.

That's what I thought.  Having replaced this battery several times in the past, I never had to re-link the device.  I assumed since the battery was bad (for perhaps several months) a total energy drain may account for that.

To add the Motion Sensor to the ISY it cannot already be defined to the ISY.

I had removed and deleted the device from My Devices

Use New INSTEON Device (as you have been).  Before clicking Ok on the popup put the motion sensor into linking mode with a single press and hold of Motion Sensor Set button for 4-5 seconds.  Then click Ok.  

Exactly as I had done!

That message indicates the motion sensor either was not in linking mode before or is not in range of a Dual Band device

I have the device directly over my PLM (which has an Access point plugged directly into it).

So, is there a way to determine if the device is not in linking mode?  (e.g. try linking it with a switch or something?)

I tried linking this time with the Event Viewer up, here is what I get:

post-1132-0-08720900-1412032451_thumb.jpg

The red LED will blink more rapidly in unlinking mode than in linking mode. The difference is not difficult to discern.

I can see that. I kept things in linking mode until after the New Devices Error message popped up. 

The motion sensor did not respond to the three commands sent to it.   There are three pairs of 02 62 ...... outbound messages with no 02 50 ..... response.  Only thing to try is a Factory Reset of the motion sensor.   If that does not work the motion sensor likely defective.  The access point may have failed but I'm more inclined to think motion sensor issue.   

Only thing to try is a Factory Reset of the motion sensor.   If that does not work the motion sensor likely defective.

Thanks LeeG!  That was it.  Not so easy to do a reset, but I did.  Then tried relinking and - waalaa!  But I wasn't out o the woods yet.

I had to get rid of the red exclamation marks, rehang the MS & figure out why my programs would not run even though the MS was sending messages to the ISY (viewed in Event Viewer).

I discovered I had to go into each program with the MS address as a trigger.  Delete the condition, save the program, re-add the condition and save it.  This even though the name of device was exactly the same.

Good to hear it is working.  I think if the Admin Console was closed and started again the Program references would have been marked as 'not available' or something to that affect.   I don't think programs reflect a deleted device without restarting the Admin Console

Good to hear it is working.

LeeG - your knowledge in Insteon and UDI is just astonishing to me! Thank you for all of your help here.

I just have to say that without this community I do not think I would have pursued this Home Automation adventure.

There are other here that deserve recognition for their vast knowledge and support of other users and by looking at their post counts you can easily see who I am talking about ... (Xathros, Teken, Oberkc, Apostolakisi, BrianH and others).

Also many thanks to Chris Jahn and Michel Kohanim for their tireless work supporting their products.

Cheers!

Dwight

sanders2222

I ran a few tests this morning on the results of deleting a device.   Programs reflected the deleted device after restarting the Admin Console.

Before the restart

If
        From    Sunset 
        To      Sunrise (next day)
    And From    Sunset 
        For      2 hours 

Then
        Set 'IO Linc I2CS-Relay' On

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

After the restart

If
        From    Sunset 
        To      Sunrise (next day)
    And From    Sunset 
        For      2 hours 

Then
        Set <Not Specified> On

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Thanks LeeG.  You're correct that my programs would have the <Not Specified> in place of the device name when I deleted the device.  But after I was able to finally re-link it (with the same name), my experience was the device name appeared in the programs like nothing had changed. However, none of them would execute.

I checked both the status of the device changes and my Event Viewer to see the device was communicating.  All I could think of was the device name in the programs was missing something unseen.   If I logged out and then back in to the console, that may have restored all the settings as well. 

But I needed to follow your suggestion to sort all that out. Thanks for you help! 

Archived