994 admin console becomes unresponsive ...

gweempose

I recently upgraded from the 99 to the 994. The migration went smoothly, but I've been having some issues programming the 994. Very often, when I attempt to perform an action, the admin console becomes unresponsive. For example, if right click on a device and select "Remove from Scene", nothing appears to happen. If I close down the admin console and then re-open it, the device was indeed removed from the scene. The admin console doesn't necessarily lock up per se, but it fails to show the changes until I shut it down and re-open it. Unfortunately, this makes the whole process of programming go much slower than it should. The problem happens regardless of what computer or browser I use to access the 994.  I tried power cycling the 994, but it didn't help. Does anyone have any ideas about what might be going on, or how I can fix it?

You have different ISY firmware for sure. The Java cache and applets needs to be flushed out and the fresh versions of the Admin Console  reloaded to match the ISY994i firmware.

See the thread on the new firmware announcements (I would link to it but using a new browser and I don't know how to use multiple tabs)

In Windows goto the control panel and then select Java and you should see a tab to delete your files and applets,

Edit:

http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/14136-release-4215-rc5-is-now-available/

There are links there to install new applets etc.

I just updated the firmware to 4.2.15, and I'm having the same issues. I've updated the console and flushed the Java cache. My "about" tab shows v4.2.15 for both the firmware and UI. If I try to move a device or remove it from a scene, the device tree doesn't update its display. It doesn't lock up, everything still generally navigates normally, but it doesn't update the device tree until I log off and back on. 

I'm using the    http://isy.universal-devices.com/994i/4.2.15/admin.jnlp  admin console (That's the 4.2.15 version. I guess the forum truncates the text in the middle.)

I assume you have rebooted your computer at some point in there too.

I find Java has been acting very strange for the last few months and sometimes that help clear up some of the quirks. Java seems to act up particularly after my computer sleeps.

The Admin Console hardly ever works after being left alone for more than 15 minutes. I believe this is mostly some sloppy behaviour introduced in Java in the last 6-8 months.  The  Java 8 on my Win7 x64 machine seems to behave better most of the time.

I rebooted, and the same thing still happens. I renamed a bunch of folders and devices, and nothing appeared to change. Minimized and expanded the network folder, went to the program tab and back. Once I logged off and back on, all of the changes were displayed.

I just updated the firmware to 4.2.15, and I'm having the same issues. I've updated the console and flushed the Java cache. My "about" tab shows v4.2.15 for both the firmware and UI. If I try to move a device or remove it from a scene, the device tree doesn't update its display. It doesn't lock up, everything still generally navigates normally, but it doesn't update the device tree until I log off and back on. 

I'm using the    http://isy.universal-devices.com/994i/4.2.15/admin.jnlp  admin console (That's the 4.2.15 version. I guess the forum truncates the text in the middle.)

Yep. This definitely sounds like the exact same problem. I just tried clearing the java cache, but unfortunately it didn't help. It's quite frustrating because my 994 is otherwise working perfectly. In fact, all my scenes and programs are rock solid throughout my entire home.

Hello gweempose and Bob P.,

I am so very sorry to hear. I suspect you might have a firewall on your computer which exclusions for your 99 but not your 994. Please try accessing your ISY using HTTPS (click on the Add button on your ISY finder, and then put https://your.isy.ip.address). If that works, then the problem is firewall related.

If this is not the case, please don't hesitate to contact our tech support (links below).

With kind regards,

Michel

Hello gweempose and Bob P.,

I am so very sorry to hear. I suspect you might have a firewall on your computer which exclusions for your 99 but not your 994. Please try accessing your ISY using HTTPS (click on the Add button on your ISY finder, and then put https://your.isy.ip.address). If that works, then the problem is firewall related.

If this is not the case, please don't hesitate to contact our tech support (links below).

With kind regards,

Michel

I tried the https suggestion, but it did not help.

Thanks Michel, that solved it for me. I went to the "allowed Programs" in Windows Firewall and checked the un-checked box for ISY. It seems to work now.

I'm glad it's working better for you now. Where can I find this this setting? I searched through the list of allowed programs in Windows Firewall, and I couldn't find any mention of the ISY. I also couldn't figure out the proper path to manually add it. I'm running Win 7.

Hi Gweempose

I'm glad it's working better for you now. Where can I find this this setting? I searched through the list of allowed programs in Windows Firewall, and I couldn't find any mention of the ISY. I also couldn't figure out the proper path to manually add it. I'm running Win 7.

I went to the start button, and typed in "Firewall", and then selected "Allow a Program Through Windows Firewall. In my case, there was an unchecked box named "ISY Control." I clicked the button to "Change Settings" and enabled it for public networks.

In your case, if there isn't already an "ISY Controls" listed, you should try clicking "Allow another Program" and browse to something like "C:\users\YourName\appdata\local\temp\temp1_isycontrol056.zip\isycontrol.exe". As I look at it now, it seems funny (and maybe wrong) that my .exe file is tucked away in a zip file inside a temporary directory, but that worked for me. You may also want to search your hard drive for the "isycontrol.exe" file and point to that location instead.

Hi Gweempose

I went to the start button, and typed in "Firewall", and then selected "Allow a Program Through Windows Firewall. In my case, there was an unchecked box named "ISY Control." I clicked the button to "Change Settings" and enabled it for public networks.

In your case, if there isn't already an "ISY Controls" listed, you should try clicking "Allow another Program" and browse to something like "C:\users\YourName\appdata\local\temp\temp1_isycontrol056.zip\isycontrol.exe". As I look at it now, it seems funny (and maybe wrong) that my .exe file is tucked away in a zip file inside a temporary directory, but that worked for me. You may also want to search your hard drive for the "isycontrol.exe" file and point to that location instead.

I cannot find this file on my system anywhere. I tried the exact path you listed, and I also searched my entire drive for isycontrol.exe. :(

Archived