Program to turn off lights that are accidentally left on

eyost

Hi all,

I am trying to create a program that will turn off lights that are accidentally left on.

For example, every morning I take my dog out at 6:15a and turn on the back floods. There are times I forget to turn off the floods and as a result they are left on unnecessarily all day. 

What I have now is the following. This is my first attempt to posting a program that has been exported out. Hope I do it right.

<?xml version="1.0" ?><triggers><d2d><trigger><id>30</id><name>Back Floods Sunrise Off</name><parent>1</parent><if><and /><device><status /><node>A B1 10 4</node><op>=</op><control>ERR</control><action>0</action></device><and /><device><status /><node>A B1 10 4</node><op>=</op><control>ST</control><action>255</action></device><and /><schedule><from><sunrise>1800</sunrise></from><to><sunset>-1800</sunset></to></schedule></if><then><device><group>27818</group><control>DOF</control><action>0</action></device></then><else></else><comment></comment></trigger></d2d></triggers>

Basically I have it to turn the lights off if they are on and the time is 30 minutes after sunrise and less than 30 minutes from sunset. Also, this is a scene that is assigned to a button on a KeyPadLinc and it doesn't seem to update the status light on the button when it is turned off.

Any ideas if this would work?

Thanks,

Ed

If time is from sunrise + 30 min. to sunset - 30 min (same day)

Then. Set scene 'back flood lights' off.

You have to set the scene off, not just the device (flood light controller) that controls the load.

You can add "and flood light controller status is on" to the if. I don't mind the extra insteon traffic generated by sending a scene off command for a scene that is already off.

Hi Jimbo-

I have a few programs in my set up that do this sort of thing.  Let me give you a few ideas.

First,

Program: Back Deck Timer Daytime

If
        From    Sunrise +  1 second
        To      Sunset  -  1 second (same day)
    And Status  'Back Porch / Back Porch Flood Light' is On

Then
        Set Scene 'Back Porch / Back Porch' Off

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

No reason for the floodlight to be on during daylight hours.  If a someone turns it on accidentally, turn it back off.  If it was left on before sunrise, turn it off at sunrise.

Second,

Back Deck Timer Nighttime

If
        From    Sunset 
        To      Sunrise (next day)
    And Status  'Back Porch / Back Porch Flood Light' is On

Then
        Wait  15 minutes 
        Set Scene 'Back Porch / Back Porch' Off

Else

15 minute timer.  Adjust delay as necessary to suit your needs.

Next,

Program: Back Deck Timer Disable

If
        Control 'Back Porch / Back Porch Flood Light' is switched Fast On

Then
        Disable Program 'Back Porch Timer Daytime'
        Disable Program 'Back Porch Timer Nighttime'
        Resource 'TIMER: Back Deck Timer Disabled' (Notify me if timer is disabled)

Else

Disable the timer for those times when we are working out there and need the lights to stay on beyond the normal timeout.

And finally,

Program: Back Deck Timer Enable

If
        Status  'Back Porch / Back Porch Flood Light' is Off

Then
        Enable Program 'Back Porch Timer Nighttime'
        Enable Program 'Back Porch Timer Daytime'

Else

Re-enable timer when light is turned off for any reason. (Self correcting system)

I have a set of these for each of my outside lights.  Works like a champ.

I also have a midnight cleanup routine that will turn most things off at midnight if left on.  I have one KPL button in my master bedroom that will override this and a number of other automations in the rare event we have a party or something running that late into the evening (NewYear's eve etc.)

Hope this helps.

-Xathros

Archived