ISY 26 Notifications not working!

keribi

As MikeB indicated, ipconfig /all will give you your gateway address. If the DNS Server address it shows is the same as the gateway address, then it is not the actual DNS Server address the router uses. To find that address, you must log on to your router. Do so by typing the Gateway IP Address into your browser's address bar. Once in the router, find your actual DNS Server address. If you need help, post your router make and model.

Darrell:

I checked the DNS server of the router (I have a Linksys WRT54GSV4) and there are two DNS servers listed, l tried both of them and it didn't work.

I DID notice one thing though: The Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.252 and the Subnet Mask in the ISY IP Config is 255.255.255.0. Would that make a difference? And if so, which one should I change?

Joe

Hi Joe, the subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0 (or whatever your router assigns to your computer as well).

Do you still see -50000?

With kind regards,

Michel

As MikeB indicated, ipconfig /all will give you your gateway address. If the DNS Server address it shows is the same as the gateway address, then it is not the actual DNS Server address the router uses. To find that address, you must log on to your router. Do so by typing the Gateway IP Address into your browser's address bar. Once in the router, find your actual DNS Server address. If you need help, post your router make and model.

Darrell:

I checked the DNS server of the router (I have a Linksys WRT54GSV4) and there are two DNS servers listed, l tried both of them and it didn't work.

I DID notice one thing though: The Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.252 and the Subnet Mask in the ISY IP Config is 255.255.255.0. Would that make a difference? And if so, which one should I change?

Joe

Hi Joe, the subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0 (or whatever your router assigns to your computer as well).

The Static IP page of the router (I have a static IP assigned to me by my ISP) has 255.255.255.252 on that router page. The ISP told me to put that in there.

The ISY has a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

Which one should I change? I'm a little shy to change what the ISP Expects.

Joe

Joe, do not change anything. Please look at the log and let me know if you have -5000x errors still.

With kind regards,

Michel

The Static IP page of the router (I have a static IP assigned to me by my ISP) has 255.255.255.252 on that router page. The ISP told me to put that in there.

Joe

Don't touch either. The SubNet of 255.255.255.252 is for your router's WAN connection. If you look at your router's LAN connection, it should have a SubNet of 255.255.255.0 (same as your desktop PC and your ISY).

Michel et al,

A few questions on this topic overall:

1. What is the difference between the FROM field and the USER ID field? I am on 2.6.8...

2. In your examples, you often show the SMTP port for gmail as 587. However, when I tried that it failed. When I tried using the default port that ISY had in the configuration tab (25) it worked. What is this port, is this something on my router, or something specific to the gmail email service?

3. Is there a way to customize the notifications? I've heard this is possible, is this a future enhancement or something I can today?

1. What is the difference between the FROM field and the USER ID field? I am on 2.6.8...

The FROM address would be the email address you'd like the notification to appear to be sent from. It's a cosmetic thing - what is displayed on the FROM field of the notification email. Some email servers will restrict you to ONLY using the email address associated with your account. Other email servers will allow you to use any email address.

The USER ID is the account name you are using to authenticate to your email server. Sometimes this is your email address (which would be the same as you'd most likely use for your FROM address), or sometimes it's just the first part of your email address (everything before the @ symbol).

2. In your examples, you often show the SMTP port for gmail as 587. However, when I tried that it failed. When I tried using the default port that ISY had in the configuration tab (25) it worked. What is this port, is this something on my router, or something specific to the gmail email service?

Port 587 is an alternative port used for SMTP. Many ISP's actually block port 25, unless your'e using their own mail server, to help restrain potential spyware/virus infect PCs and spammers on their network. It's not uncommon for you to NOT be able to use port 25. If the mail server you're using supports port 587, it may work for you (until ISP's decide to start blocking port 587 as well). I believe Gmail requires TLS for port 587.

Hi Joe,

Congrats. This only means one thing: your router does not relay DNS requests for 72.14.253.109 is simply one of the IPs for smtp.gmail.com.

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel:

After literally hours and hours of trying different things with my ISY notifications, putting in 72.14.253.109. . .

WORKED!!!

Now on to the rest of the issues in earnest!

Joe

Michael D et al,

Thanks for your replies, appreciate it very much!

on item #1: Interestingly, this is exactly what I thought the answer would be. However, I found that no matter what i put in the FROM field, the email comes through using the name of the actual email account. So for example, the user ID I am using is my gmail account which is Matthew.Rosen.00@gmail.com. And that account must be set up with my name which is Matthew A. Rosen. So when I get email from that account, on say, my Yahoo email, it appears to come from Matthew A. Rosen. But even when I put something alternate in the FROM field, for cosmetic purposes as you say, it has no effect. I put the name of my lighting system which is call 112UPLights ... and the email still appears to come from Matthew A. Rosen. Not a big deal at all, just curious because I thought that was what the FROM field was for.

on item #2: I am using my gmail account to send the notifications, and it works on 25 but not 587. At least it didn't when I first tried it. Oh well, it works so that's all that matters I suppose.

on item #3: what do you know about the ability to actually now customize the notifications? Is that something down the road for the ISY? Or is that something I can do now?

This issue is getting quite annoying! The only alerts I can get to function is the default. The NTP works fine, POP is enabled in my gmail account I even tried disabling my antivirus software. I can ping smtp.gmail.com with no problems. I am at a loss to figure this out?

Archived