RF Comms Issues

Scyto

Yes, I see events scrolling in the event viewer until the point the UI hangs or disappears.  Even though the REST interface doesn't respond.

To be clear my ISY is currently OK because I a) now have all my house turned back on and B) don't have it querying everything at boot

I just ran the query all program manually and got the socket error.  I am watching the event log keep scrolling, but this time the REST interface is ok and admin console did not crash.  However difference this time is the socket error occurred during the ZWAVE portion of the scan not the insteon listreq process (which took much longer when all my devices were off) PLUS I was not attempting to issue any insteon commands.

Hi Scyto,

Thanks so very much. Two comments:

1. Does it eventually come back?

2. Do you have any programs that are based on:

-- ISY Restart

-- Status of any of the devices

You can also check your logs to see whether or not any programs start running after boot up. I still think ISY is locking the process that deals with INSTEON and thus the reason for the socket error.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi Scyto,

Thanks so very much. Two comments:

1. Does it eventually come back?

2. Do you have any programs that are based on:

-- ISY Restart

-- Status of any of the devices

You can also check your logs to see whether or not any programs start running after boot up. I still think ISY is locking the process that deals with INSTEON and thus the reason for the socket error.

With kind regards,

Michel

1) don't think so (though never left longer than 10 mins)

2) I don't have any such program, I can tell you this was at reboot when the ISY chose to run the ISY Query All program.

I don;t see any error in general

I think you are right about the locking

Do I recall correctly that when this occurred, you had a significant number of Insteon devices unreachable due to circuits being powered off?  If so, then I can understand why the ISY would appear to be hung while attempting to communicate with many unreachable devices at once do to the query at startup.  I recall running into this once with Teken when he had a bunch of circuits powered down and rebooted the ISY. 

-Xathros

Do I recall correctly that when this occurred, you had a significant number of Insteon devices unreachable due to circuits being powered off?  If so, then I can understand why the ISY would appear to be hung while attempting to communicate with many unreachable devices at once do to the query at startup.  I recall running into this once with Teken when he had a bunch of circuits powered down and rebooted the ISY. 

-Xathros

Yes that's correct.  However it should have come back in 10 minutes, it did not.  The issue here is I was quite happily watching the event viewer scrolling though the list, right up to the point the UI hung.

Sounds like what we saw with Teken's system as well.  I wonder if there is some limit to how many things can be queued up and not responding before the ISY hangs.  Buffer overflow maybe?

-Xathros

Hi Xathros,

They can be queued up but ISY will not let anything else run that requires access to INSTEON. Thus the reason for asking whether or not there are any programs that are running at startup.

With kind regards,

Michel

Thanks Michel-

What is the queue depth?  How many Insteon requests can be queued before then next request has to be held?  Do the queue entries ever expire if a device fails to respond?  If they do expire, what is the timeout?

-Xathros

Archived